Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choose My Windshield For Me. Looking For People Who've Been In My Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:32 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,790 Likes on 11,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
Cut what you have, jigsaw slowly, blue tape. Take it off the bike after you make the marks. Not much to loose.
Actually...that's a good idea to find out what height works best. Then buybthat height. Except for the recurve part. But, this would get the height you prefer, then the recurve is icing.

FWIW...one of the dealers in San Diego,,,actually San Diego Moreno,,,has someone that can trim down the windshield and they guarantee OEM quality. Well...that's what my salesman said.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:37 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,313 Posts

I have a LRS Ultra Elite. I used the 2" below eye level measuring tactic. I like looking over the shield, especially when it's raining, as the rain on the shield doesn't move much, even at 55 mph. The wind and bugs go right over my head, no buffeting or anything.

If I remember correctly I have an 8" shield.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:38 PM
GGUltraClassic
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 5" HD curved dark windshield on my 09 ultra...I'm 6'2" and the wind goes over me for the most part, still get some, obviously I look over it, but I like the looks and the 3 pouch is still on there too...

Old 12-06-2017, 03:59 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

LRS all the way. Call 'em, explain what you are after, and ride happy.
For me, windshield at mustache height allows me to look just over the top, wind over my helmet by just a little. Recurve one inch lower, wind over my helmet same as the other.
Personally, I only clean them with Plexus - spray it on when shield is cool, let it set on there a couple of minutes to loosen up the bugs and goo, then micro fiber polish it off. Every once and a while I treat the shields with Moto Mask - inside and out - and rain is not a problem. No glare, shields look like new.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

I had a LRS recurve that was a too tall. I cut the bottom a couple times. The 3rd cut caused the base to be too narrow where mated to fairing but it got me to the height I needed to order another. Their sales are great where you can experiment and not be out much.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:04 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
Cut what you have, jigsaw slowly, blue tape. Take it off the bike after you make the marks. Not much to loose.
right on... been thinkin of that for months now.... think i'll give it a go this weekend...besides, the harley stock shields just look better to me

Old 12-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 658 Posts

Once it’s cut use sandpaper on the edge to clean it up. Key is don’t work up heat or things start to melt.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CSS899
At 6'1" what size is your Klock Werks? I have an LRS 9"javelin WS that works well now but the looks aren't the best. I'm 6'1" also. Thinking of trying the 8.5 KW's.
Just keep in mind that KW measures from the center screw to the curve rather than the top, so the 8.5" is almost 10" to the top. That being said, I really like my 8.5" KW for touring and I see over it just fine. I am 5'9" with a Ultra Low seat, but I usually sit up pretty straight with my backrest. I don't even attempt to duck low enough to look through it in rain as it is dark tint and is very distorted.

For the OP, I do like my LRS 7" for the short rides I do in HI sitting in an MCC lowered Mustang touring seat and I do use a Tbags 3- pouch.

The following users liked this post:
CSS899 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM
CSS899
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO
Just keep in mind that KW measures from the center screw to the curve rather than the top, so the 8.5" is almost 10" to the top. That being said, I really like my 8.5" KW for touring and I see over it just fine. I am 5'9" with a Ultra Low seat, but I usually sit up pretty straight with my backrest. I don't even attempt to duck low enough to look through it in rain as it is dark tint and is very distorted. .
I was hoping the top of the KW's was taller than 8.5. Should be about the right height for me. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Call/Email John at Freedom Shields. I hit him up before I even took delivery of my RGS and told him my height, inseam, and asked him for his recommendation. He told me to go with the 13" which I did, and he nailed it. It sits perfectly, its a recurve that I look over and its perfect.

I had LRS on my road king prior to this RGS. Have zero complaints about LRS, they are great, and at a great price. Freedom shields in my experience is a step up in the shield quality though. Both companies have great customer service, so its really personal preference.

Quick Reply: Choose My Windshield For Me. Looking For People Who've Been In My Shoes