Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotune - great fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 02:53 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Autotune - great fuel mileage

A month and a half ago I installed the Auto tune accessory for the Power Commander 5 fuel manager I have had for two years now. April I had replaced the tensioners and went with S&S 510 cams. Ever since the cams were installed I noticed and was told I would see a drop in fuel mileage. Of course when one has cams in their skoot, they tend to use them more often than not if you get my dirft. My fuel milage would fluctuate from about 37 mpg getting on it now and then to a max of about 44 mpg when I drove the speed limit. That's fine, I knew it going in and was OK with that. Since the auto-tuner was installed, it has gone through about 13 iterations. I had a decent base map but every good ride I had I would accept the new suggested trims into the PC5. The AFR default was set to 13.2 AFR and for all intents and purposes that would give me a healthy dose or power and would be not all that bad on fuel economy. Today I went for what most likely will be the last ride of this year as they are calling for some good cold weather in the next couple weeks here in Southwestern Ontario. I drove sensibly. No hot *******, and did not get on it at all. Just a nice all around good ride. Outside temp was 47 deg. F so a tad brisk but with the windscreen nice. After getting home, like usual I fill up to the brim exactly every time and log my distance and fuel used. I'm now getting 54.1 mpg. That is Canadian gallons. I'm rather impressed as I hadn't expected that. So for what ever its worth the power commander and auto tuner may be pricey but this bike is running very well. Good mid range power from those cams and some great fuel mileage too.

randy

2003 Road King Classic
88 c.i. (1450 cc)
S&S 510 chain cams
Power Commander 5
Auto tuner
High flow A/C
Kerker slips with tails
V&H true duals
41,000 Km (25,600 miles)

Old 12-03-2017, 03:00 PM
cc_Penguin
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info. Due to the price I've been quite hesitant on adding the Auto Tuner to my PC5, now you have me re-thinking it. (01 Road King here...)

Old 12-03-2017, 06:20 PM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

don't have cams, but the tuner helped my gas mileage a ridiculous amount. 103 with open ac and 4.5" slip ons and no cat fp3 tuner. bike cooled down a little too. rode around today for a couple hours and barely used 1/4 tank.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

cc Penquin, I pondered long and hard on it trying all kinds of maps but finally decided to spend the dollars. The amount of fuel you save will never be recouped but the engine will run at its optimum and that cant be bad. My 88 dances now and I'm happy.

randy

Old 02-15-2019, 06:58 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

Very nice ride! Enjoy!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:10 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Very nice ride! Enjoy!
Have a cup of coffee.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:04 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Typically (that's typically), you only see these "Resurrections" (especially a Resurrection to only reply ... "Great") from Newbs

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 12:26 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Canadian 54 mpg equals about 44 mpg US. Exactly what I normally get on my 2006 Ultra with the PC III. My cycle also includes many modifications that normally would reduce mileage. Did not happen.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,872 Likes on 11,605 Posts

I would have though that since our bikes are lean from the factory, doing a tune would add more gas...and consequently reduce gas mileage. Particularly if the tune reduced motor temperature, because of the cooling effect of the added gas. This is why I’m delaying using the SE Street tuner I bought for my Ultra Limited.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:15 PM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I would have though that since our bikes are lean from the factory, doing a tune would add more gas...and consequently reduce gas mileage. Particularly if the tune reduced motor temperature, because of the cooling effect of the added gas. This is why I’m delaying using the SE Street tuner I bought for my Ultra Limited.
A more efficient engine runs cooler, has better power, and (when an engine doesn't have to work as hard) better mileage.

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Typically (that's typically), you only see these "Resurrections" (especially a Resurrection to only reply ... "Great") from Newbs
I'd bet he found this thread using the almighty search function championed by all the old timers to all the newbs when they ask a question that was already answered somewhere in the abyss of old threads... just saying. (sorry, I had to be a smartass. I don't mean to start anything)

Quick Reply: Autotune - great fuel mileage