Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:07 PM
paco12
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas gauge

Low fuel icon came on today ,put in 10$ of gas,gas gauge showing almost full tank,low fuel stayed on till I shut the bike off,now don't trust the gauge

Old 12-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by paco12
Low fuel icon came on today ,put in 10$ of gas,gas gauge showing almost full tank,low fuel stayed on till I shut the bike off,now don't trust the gauge
​​​​​​​My gauge works great. I don't trust it. I do trust my trip odo, though.

The following users liked this post:
ckary (07-24-2019)
Old 12-02-2017, 09:29 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Do other people ride your bike that you didn't know that it was already full of fuel?

Originally Posted by Veekness
​​​​​​​My gauge works great. I don't trust it. I do trust my trip odo, though.
Seasoned...

Check/reset my odometer every refill.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
My gauge works great. I don't trust it. I do trust my trip odo, though.
My gauge works ok. It's not dead on but it is consistent. I still rely on the odo though. Too many years of riding a bike without any gauge created a habit of resetting it at every fill up that continues to this day.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:48 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

they all do that

Old 12-03-2017, 07:51 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

Depending upon the kind of bike you have, you may need to shut off the bike and turn it back on again. And all of my bikes I did not have to do that. But I do not know which bike you have.

If I have a 6 gallon tank, the light will go on when I have about 30 miles left.

When I fill up, I will put in approximately 5 gallons or 5.6 gallons.

1) This tells me if my gauge is reading well.
2) I also run my Trip #2 and expect to get on average 170 miles of mainly city riding before the light goes on. Or approximately when it goes on.

#2 above is a double check. So I never rely on just one indicator. I always watch 2.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,310 Likes on 1,585 Posts

My ‘16 Limited does it occasionaly

Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I reset my odometer after every fill up.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:36 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Does anyone trust any of the gauges? My speedo is off by 3 mph, Oil pressure is always doing weird stuff, Volt meter is off a little, and we all know how accurate the ambient temp gauge, is not.

I do some what trust the fuel idiot light. It comes on pretty much with the same fuel level all the time. Calculate your avg fuel mileage. Ride until the light comes on and hit the first gas station you can find and fill up. Subtract the amount of fuel you put in from the capacity of your tank. That, times your avg mileage will give you a fairly accurate idea how far you can go after the light comes on. That way you don't panic when it comes on because you know how much gas is still in the tank and far you can go when it does come on.

Is this the first time you have seen the light? Mine will stay on after fill up but never more than a minute at most. It has to have a little bit to reset itself after you fill up. If you started it, saw the light, shut it off again then it went out, you were simply seeing the reset time.

As someone mentioned before and the usual answer here, they all do that.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:43 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

I do but not totally blind about it. Meaning, I trust all of the gauges. The gas gauge I will on occasion check with my Trip B.

If I fill my gas gauge is incorrect, I will look at my mileage. Every quarter tank is approximately 50 miles.

At the halfway mark (100 miles) my gas gauge should be on 1/2.

With 4 bikes over a decade and 300,000 miles I do not think I ever had an issue in this area. Maybe once. But that is only a "maybe".

I find the gauges to be pretty accurate and consistent.

BuzzCap7

Quick Reply: Gas gauge