Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017 | 01:32 AM
Ronald Woods
|
Stage IV
Default Primary drain plug

Had my 2010 Streetglide serviced at a Harley dealer. Within the first 150 miles of riding it after the fluids were changed the primary drain plug fell out while I was riding. Lost all the oil all over the primary side of the bike and the rear tire. Called the dealer and they came and picked up the bike. Asked for an explanation and was told since I have 40,000 miles on the bike the threads loosen up after awhile that's why it came loose. I've had bikes with a lot more miles than that on them and never lost a drain plug. Interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

Old 11-29-2017 | 02:55 AM
tgmotoman
Tourer

I think someone put the plug in and forgot to tighten it up. You will not ever get the real answer from the dealer. Just make sure they make things right.

How far do you think you rode after the plug fell out? Hopefully no issues will come from it, but I know that would be the last time I went back to that service dept.

I know that it isn't always an option, but like many here, I do my own services when I can, mainly to prevent stuff like what happened to you.

Welcome to the HD Forums.

The following users liked this post:
Ronald Woods (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017 | 04:57 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Ah, so threads have to "break in" or something before they hold.

Were you able to keep a straight face?

Accidents happen, mistakes are made. That's what did happen. They weren't honest about it and told a silly story to justify their mistake. Which speaks loudly of them.

Last edited by foxtrapper; 11-29-2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Typing before adequate coffee
The following 3 users liked this post by foxtrapper:
bill from tn (11-29-2017), deadhawg (12-01-2017), Ronald Woods (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017 | 05:08 AM
caulk04
Road Master

I'd be raising hell at that service dept. Lucky you didn't drop the SOB with all that gear oil dumping right near the tire due to some knucklehead not finishing his difficult job of righty tighty.

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
...You're under warranty...
How ya figure that?

Old 11-29-2017 | 05:26 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ronald Woods
Had my 2010 Streetglide serviced at a Harley dealer. Within the first 150 miles of riding it after the fluids were changed the primary drain plug fell out while I was riding. Lost all the oil all over the primary side of the bike and the rear tire. Called the dealer and they came and picked up the bike. Asked for an explanation and was told since I have 40,000 miles on the bike the threads loosen up after awhile that's why it came loose. I've had bikes with a lot more miles than that on them and never lost a drain plug. Interested in anyone's thoughts on this.
Welcome to the Forum bro.

Now for some good-natured sarcasm:

Please tell us you already "knew" what happened !

If your ride now works ok, its probably ok, but I'd document this as thoroughly as I could if I were you,, just in case.

This is why, like tgmotoman, many of us do our own oil changes. You take better care with these routine jobs than someone who is "on the clock" and the savings in labor costs easily cover the cost of any manuals or tools you'll need within just a few changes.

Again bro,, welcome !

Old 11-29-2017 | 06:02 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Originally Posted by caulk04
I'd be raising hell at that service dept. Lucky you didn't drop the SOB with all that gear oil dumping right near the tire due to some knucklehead not finishing his difficult job of righty tighty.

How ya figure that?

By wrongly reading the post as being a new bike with a 150 mile break-in oil change. Dangerous to type before a full cup of coffee in the morning.

The following 2 users liked this post by foxtrapper:
caulk04 (11-29-2017), Ronald Woods (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017 | 07:11 AM
Ronald Woods
|
Stage IV

I usually do service it myself but needed a new rear tire so had the dealer service it while it was already there. Not sure how far I rode after the drain plug fell out. Went 115 miles that day. Could have come out at any point. Dealer is saying they took the primary apart and everything is good. Guess only time will tell.

Old 11-29-2017 | 07:58 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Ronald Woods
Have them put that explanation on the service ticket so it's documented. BTW, that's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Old 11-29-2017 | 09:53 AM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

With the proper torque that plug would never fall out on its own. Do your own oil changes!

Old 11-29-2017 | 09:59 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Threads loosen up over time?? Better load it up with red loctite!

(In case anyone is that gullible, don’t use any thread locker or even Teflon tape, it was just a joke)

Quick Reply: Primary drain plug