Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017 | 01:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

i guess you better be looking to trade that puppy in. i mean, with 40,000 miles on her, all the threads will be loosening up soon. you don't want to be riding down the road and just have it fall apart in a large pile do you?

oh, crap. i just realized. i have over 37,000 miles on mine. guess i better head down to the dealer and get myself a new one too....

Old 11-29-2017 | 04:34 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Default drain plug

Different part, but same concept. I brought my new '08 FLHT to the dealer I bought it from, to get the stage 1 stuff done. I rode home, about 43 miles, and the left side muffler was held on by the pipe clamp only, the two small bolts in the rear were not connected, and one was entirely missing. I brought it to their attention, and got no satisfaction. "They probably just vibrated out, it IS a Harley, you know". Yeah, how about some Loctite, and a torque wrench? I got in touch with the owner, and told him his shop will NEVER work on my bike for anything. And told him exactly why. If they cannot even install a muffler so it stays on, no way are they going to get into the engine, or anywhere else. Took my business elsewhere, but now do most the work myself. Now over 109,000 miles, and NOTHING has fallen off since.

Old 11-29-2017 | 05:57 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

They all do that...

Old 11-29-2017 | 06:29 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

I recently changed my own oil. I know that I tightened the drain plug. I used a recently purchased torque wrench for the job. Within a few days after, I checked the drain plug and it was loose! It had not come out, but I could turn it with my hands. Kinda scary, really.

Old 11-30-2017 | 10:29 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ronald Woods
. Asked for an explanation and was told since I have 40,000 miles on the bike the threads loosen up after awhile that's why it came loose. I've had bikes with a lot more miles than that on them and never lost a drain plug. Interested in anyone's thoughts on this.
Yeah here's my thought. The inexperienced monkey who serviced your bike put the plug in finger tight and forgot to put a wrench on it to tighten it up and now the dealership is trying to shift the blame to some non existent issue.

Old 11-30-2017 | 11:24 AM
Ronald Woods
|
Stage IV

Totally agree I’ve let them know what I thought of their BS explanation and got much better results when I dealt directly with the service manager. Told me they pulled the primary and checked to make sure everything is good. They are also giving me in writing that I can bring it in after I put a 1,000 miles on it and they will pull the primary case and make sure everything is still good. At 5,000 they will do the same.

Old 11-30-2017 | 11:51 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ronald Woods
Totally agree I’ve let them know what I thought of their BS explanation and got much better results when I dealt directly with the service manager. Told me they pulled the primary and checked to make sure everything is good. They are also giving me in writing that I can bring it in after I put a 1,000 miles on it and they will pull the primary case and make sure everything is still good. At 5,000 they will do the same.
Seem like standup guys to me.

Plenty of posters here never make mistakes. I'm not one of em.

Old 11-30-2017 | 03:41 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Seem like standup guys to me.

Plenty of posters here never make mistakes. I'm not one of em.
But, all the posts were based on the OP’s original post, not the follow-up. So, don’t come in here with that holier-than-thou crap.

Old 11-30-2017 | 03:58 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
But, all the posts were based on the OP’s original post, not the follow-up. So, don’t come in here with that holier-than-thou crap.

I'll come in with any "crap" I want, and not blame circumstances beyond my control for the candor of my posts.

Man up Buttercup !

Old 11-30-2017 | 04:03 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by HKMark23
I'll come in with any "crap" I want, and not blame circumstances beyond my control for the candor of my posts.

Man up Buttercup !
Don’t get your panties in a wad, fa**ot.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 11-30-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Primary drain plug