Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:28 AM
JonnyVegas
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
So. Why is it that you DON'T care about my not listening to music, but DO care about why I got an FLHX (correct abbreviation, by the by) as opposed to a Road King? Ya reckon that there might be other advantages to me other than a sound system or finances? Hmmm?

​​​​​​​If your intent in this post was to point out what a ***** I am, I didn't need you to point that out. I know it and own it. Please join me in that category. Plenty of room for both of us!
Jesus youre defensive, it was NOT to point out that youre a *****, although by now maybe youve done a good job at that....

my intent was really as I stated. Let me rephrase

What are the advantages of the SG over the RK, excluding the music, in your most humble opinion good sir

Old 11-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyVegas
Jesus youre defensive, it was NOT to point out that youre a *****, although by now maybe youve done a good job at that....

my intent was really as I stated. Let me rephrase

What are the advantages of the SG over the RK, excluding the music, in your most humble opinion good sir
No need for me to justify my choices to a stranger on the World Wide Web, just as you don't have to 'splain your reasons to me.

​​​​​​​Now then...any reason to continue this confab?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

A buddy of mine has a '13 Road King CVO with bag speakers and lower speakers; his sounds pretty good, and he's happy with it. You could probably get similar sound with speaker pods mounted to the crash bars and lid speakers, as mentioned earlier.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,083 Posts

I've a Road King myself, and occassionally dance on the issue of music.

I've had bikes in the past with radio and speakers. None of them sounded good once we were moving and had road and wind noise. Add in other traffic and many times I couldn't hear it at all, or couldn't tell if it was music playing or the DJ speaking when I could sorta hear it. The weight, especially if it's all handlebar mounted, can also screw with the handling of the bike.

Smart phones have changed the way I listen to the radio and music. As others have noted, you can store a lot of music on the phone. I personally tend to listen to music streaming apps like Iheart radio as I can tell it what I like, and it builds virtual radio stations of what I want. Some of the phones have the ability to tune FM radio directly, as well streaming it. With the smart phone, I don't find the need to have a conventional radio on the bike, just clip the smart phone to the handlebars (so I can see Google Maps), plug it in and go.

As for the helmet, I've had speakers and earbuds. I prefer earbuds. The speakers almost always sounded terrible, and were hyper sensitive to distance from my ears, creating big differences in their sound. Speakers also often touch and then irritate my ears. Earbuds, especially sport types, bother my ears far less.

While I have used wired earbuds, the lithium ion batteries have really negated that. Getting 5-10 hours from a charge is quite possible these days. So when I need it, this is the route I go. I've no experience trying to talk on one while riding. I suspect it's generally not good though.

But, as much as I do love music, I also find it distracting. Sometimes not much, sometimes quite a bit. Don't mind it so much in the car, but on the bike...I don't like being distracted. The consequences are more dire. So in the end, I tend to just sing to myself.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:21 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I while back, I saw these at a dealer (not the typical bullet-shaped speakers they have that sound crappy), and I connected my phone to them... the sound was surprisingly good. These have an amp, volume control and power switch. Here is a pic and the link - it gets great reviews on sound and volume, but keep in mind, it's a wired earphone connection to your music source, not blue-tooth, but this may be your answer.

Make sure your phone (or other source) volume is all the way up... I also have to remind my wife of that when she listens to music from her phone through her Sena 20s on her Road King.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-08-7632109--1

Last edited by caberto; 11-28-2017 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AtticusFinch (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 10:31 AM
lorddj
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Harley amp that is attached to the windshield. It works just fine. in fact I sold my Road King and still have the setup. The windshield is 22". If you are interested, let me know.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a road king, loved it but wanted music. I mounted at map under the side panel and had speakers on the highway bars. Worked great, obviously not as loud or as clear as on a full fairing bike. Had sound at highway speeds. If you have any questions, PM me. I still have most the parts hanging around.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:22 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 321 Posts

Reckless makes a radio and speaker package that mounts to the windshield brace, worth a look.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mark681137
iphone 6 plus, max memory available, rokform phone holder, sena 20s. I have access to 16,000 songs plus audiobooks stored on my iphone and fm radio. I had the handlebar remote control but its not that convenient.
My sound is outstanding, plenty loud and I'm plenty deaf. Speakers mounted in my bell half shell.
I don't want all that stuff on my road king, windshield yes, fairing no.
I'd love to see a picture of how you mounted the speakers into that half helmet. I thought I was SOL when it came to using on anything that didn't cover the ears.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:34 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
No need for me to justify my choices to a stranger on the World Wide Web, just as you don't have to 'splain your reasons to me.

Now then...any reason to continue this confab?
sheesh, kind of sensitive for a Harley rider.

Ill answer the question, “Style”. I like the looks of the SG. Of course I like RKs too, I’ve owned four. But a little change now and then is good for the motorcycle soul.

Beary

The following users liked this post:
JonnyVegas (12-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Music on a Road King