Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 PM
mark681137
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoy earbuds (sometimes couldn't make a phone call without them) but I also enjoy long long rides so I prefer the speakers mounted in the half shell, it also gives me a small amount of outside contact (hopefully for sirens and such). And I do think earbuds have been the reason for a certain amount of my hearing loss, when I max out the helmet speakers I know I'm just at too loud of a level anyway so I know to stop.
Its still amazes me to take a phone call while riding my motorcycle at 60mph and the person on the other end can't tell I'm on a motorcycle.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:24 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
" But, I'm envious of baggers with fairings and their music!"

Why? I ain't. Just more crapadoola to malfunction, and the sweet music of my pipes is all I need.
I would keep your RoadKing a REAL bike without all that electronic foofaraw.
Yep. Just so. I got a Street Glide back in February. I have no idea what the stereo sounds like. I have no idea if the stereo actually works. That's not why I ride a motorcycle. That's what cages are for.

​​​​​​​But you do what you gotta do, OP.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:44 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

everything I've researched on here tells me you either need a big money bag setup, high quality lower fairing speakers, or a fairing.

I use bose earbuds at the moment. But I plan on buying a detachable fairing with good speakers for the long rides

Old 11-25-2017, 06:10 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,142 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilgrimace
Bought an '07 Road King...LOVE IT! But, I'm envious of baggers with fairings and their music!

I've seen what HD has with the handle bar speakers and amp...been told the quality of the tunes is crappy at road speeds/volume levels...

Love to hear your suggestions short of "buy another bike" or "put a fairing on it"

I found a windshield mount stereo at J&P cycles called a Reckless Rock Hoodz for $500

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/164...YaAr0nEALw_wcB

Anyone have any first or second knowledge about this stereo? I don't want it to look ghetto and take away from the great look our bike has and I don't want crappy sounding music either.

Thx!
One of the members here (can’t remember who) has one of these and has posted pics before. If I remember correctly he was pretty happy with it. I remember researching it and if I ever decide to add a stereo to my RK that will probably be the way I go. It looks good, about the size of a large windshield bag, and to me looks like it could belong on the bike. I can’t speak to the sound quality as I’ve never seen one in person.

The following users liked this post:
Evilgrimace (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 07:05 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Yep. Just so. I got a Street Glide back in February. I have no idea what the stereo sounds like. I have no idea if the stereo actually works. That's not why I ride a motorcycle. That's what cages are for.
So you’re saying that because someone wants to enjoy music during their ride they should instead take the car/truck? This is the dumbest argument I’ve ever heard. Does it make you think you’re more of a biker for never turning your stereo on? That’s a strange way to put yourself on a pedestal and has nothing to do with the OP’s question anyway.

Evilgrimace (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 09:35 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

First you'll need to change your saddle bag lids and install some high end speakers. Then a good quality amp in one of the bags which will take up space.
I imagine you have crash bars,if you do a set of bullet style speakers mounted on each side will work great.
I seen a guy with this setup but he had 4 speakers on the crash bars and it sounded very good.
He told me that when he rides on the highway it sounds great cranked up.
Personally I just use ear buds sometimes but after a while they start to bug me and then all I want is the sound of my D&D's.

Last edited by skidder; 11-25-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Evilgrimace (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
So you’re saying that because someone wants to enjoy music during their ride they should instead take the car/truck? This is the dumbest argument I’ve ever heard. Does it make you think you’re more of a biker for never turning your stereo on? That’s a strange way to put yourself on a pedestal and has nothing to do with the OP’s question anyway.
​​​​​​​Your statements and opinions are duly noted.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM
JonnyVegas
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness

​​​​But you do what you gotta do, OP.
I really don't care that you don't listen to music while riding, thats your deal, to each their own.

I am curious though, why buy a Sg as opposed to getting a RK adding a speakerless batwing to it? Wouldnt that be a less expensive route?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

For me, when I listen to music it has to be crystal clear. As soon as a radio channel starts to crack I change the channel. So riding my bike at 65mph and playing the radio just doesn't get it for me, too much noise included with the music to enjoy it. It's more tolerable when I ware my helmet with the headset. But it sure sounds good when it's sitting still.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JonnyVegas
I really don't care that you don't listen to music while riding, thats your deal, to each their own.

I am curious though, why buy a Sg as opposed to getting a RK adding a speakerless batwing to it? Wouldnt that be a less expensive route?
So. Why is it that you DON'T care about my not listening to music, but DO care about why I got an FLHX (correct abbreviation, by the by) as opposed to a Road King? Ya reckon that there might be other advantages to me other than a sound system or finances? Hmmm?

​​​​​​​If your intent in this post was to point out what a ***** I am, I didn't need you to point that out. I know it and own it. Please join me in that category. Plenty of room for both of us!

Quick Reply: Music on a Road King