Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance baggers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 02:58 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

Been considering getting rid of my 13" JRI shocks to try some some Ohlins.
The HD159 (dont think i need resi's at 185lb) look to be the best for me so curious of your review.
Not sure what I'll do in the front yet, but it needs something for sure.

Im running 12" motorwitch bars also. Really like them.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:12 AM
SoCalDyna2015
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 46 Posts

About to have hip surgery so not riding as much as I’d like, but did get the wife out for a ride this weekend. Gotta get the new Rekluse clutch and the 14” RWDs working.

The following 4 users liked this post by SoCalDyna2015:
DynaKid94 (10-15-2020), NoRegerts (08-04-2022), Puglia10 (10-13-2020), RGS88 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 04:19 PM
tobyhd02
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by glock35
Had the full S&S cam chest kit installed today and replaced the SE 447 cam with the S&S 475c. Also bought the Flo floorboards.

Do these floorboards give anymore clearance in the corners? They look great.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:12 PM
StreetShark
Stage I
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this thread made me sign up to this forum lol, so much inspiration and ideas for my road glide. hopefully ill have some stuff to post up in here once my bike has some actual performance orientated parts thrown at it. till then ill just keep lurking and drooling over the bikes here.

The following 2 users liked this post by StreetShark:
glock35 (10-16-2020), Puglia10 (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 03:38 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

My thrashin boards showed up. gonna cut down my brake and shift lever this weekend so i dont have to reach so much. ill post pics when i attempt my experiment lol.
ohlins 772 (black version of HD159) also showed up. Ill compare to my JRI-B.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:26 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Anyone already have the Darkhorse Man-o-War crank? I had one built for me and delivered to my builder. What am I going to notice, if anything, after install? Does it eliminate most of the vibration? Anyway, please give me your first impressions after first fire-up. I’ve already installed my performance mods., and I’m really happy. I just wanted to never have to ever worry about a ticking time bomb. I’m also replacing my clutch basket with a Trask billet one, and I already have a Darkhorse compensator. Thanks

Old 10-15-2020, 07:02 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 102 Posts

Did you have the crank balanced to your piston weight and cruise rpm?
not sure what stock 103 piston assembly weighs but my Fuel Moto 110 assembly weighted 516 grams

Last edited by kblhd; 10-15-2020 at 09:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 09:59 PM
glock35
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tobyhd02
Do these floorboards give anymore clearance in the corners? They look great.
they seemed a little higher than stock, but I didn’t measure them. Clearly they aren’t high enough😂

The following 2 users liked this post by glock35:
RGS88 (10-16-2020), tobyhd02 (02-24-2021)
Old 10-15-2020, 10:06 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by kblhd
Did you have the crank balanced to your piston weight and cruise rpm?
not sure what stock 103 piston assembly weighs but my Fuel Moto 110 assembly weighted 516 grams
Yes, and I have the FM 110” myself. 3cc domes. (10.5/1 CP)

Old 10-16-2020, 02:38 AM
XWFONinja
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Crank

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Anyone already have the Darkhorse Man-o-War crank? I had one built for me and delivered to my builder. What am I going to notice, if anything, after install? Does it eliminate most of the vibration? Anyway, please give me your first impressions after first fire-up. I’ve already installed my performance mods., and I’m really happy. I just wanted to never have to ever worry about a ticking time bomb. I’m also replacing my clutch basket with a Trask billet one, and I already have a Darkhorse compensator. Thanks
I'm very interested in hearing how the Dark Horse crank works for you.

I have been chasing a vibration issue with my 17 RK SP and just about ready to send it. LOL

I did the FM 124 big bore a over year and a half ago and currently have a little over 20k on the 124cc build. Up to recently it has been running terrific with no vibrations other than the normal Harley stuff. I had been focusing on suspension (RWD front and rear) and brakes (13" Galfer rotors with Brembo mono-blocks calipers off a 'Busa with the Speed Merchant adapter bracket) when this vibration started. I do ride it hard and tend to push it beyond what it was designed for, my back up ride is a '15 ZX14R, but I ride the Harley a lot more cause it's way more fun to give sport bikes and WRX's a hard time on my Harley, LOL

About 2 months ago it developed an abnormal, droning vibration. Feel it in the handlebars, floorboards and through the seat. It comes on in every gear at about 2000 rpm and only fades when above 4500 rpm. Its worse at around 75mph regardless if in 5th or 6th gear. If I pull the clutch in at 75-80 mph and coast the vibration for the most part goes away. If I still continue to hold in clutch, but bring rpm's up to 2500-3000 rpm, vibration returns. If I keep my knee on the air cleaner during this test, the engine itself feels normal, ie, I'm not feeling the vibration with the contact. It's a vibration that is very uncomfortable to the point that I wont ride it till it's fixed. Anything more than 15 minutes on the freeway and I'm done, hands and feet are achy and asleep, just pretty much not any fun.

I started with the basic stuff first, verified exhaust system installation, muffler bushings were worn, replaced but vibration still present.

I currently have a little over 40k miles overall on the bike so maybe it was time to replace the wheel bearings. Front and Rear bearings replaced, vibration still present.

Pulled the primary cover I don't know how many times now, Checked my clutch pak. I installed a Rekluse Torq Drive clutch kit last summer (not the auto clutch), maybe I put something together incorrectly. Everything checked out good, re-assembled, vibration still present.

Wel s#!*, maybe the compensator is taking a crap, ordered up a Man O War, pulled primary again, installed the new sprocket, vibration still there.

I was getting a subtle knock on the right floorboard occasionally, so maybe my motor mounts are done. Ordered up some Glide-Pro front and rear mounts. The front mounts were pretty worn, especially the front left, the 'washer' was separated from the bushing. The rears were un-remarkable, I was excited that I thought I may have found my issue. NOPE!

Pulled wheels and had the tires balance and mount rechecked. NOPE! Running the Metzler CruiseTec by the way. Awesome tire! very good grip and the 'turn in' is much more sport bike like than even the Pirelli Nite Dragons. My only issue with those is, I can only get about 6-7 k out of them before they are done.

Next stop, The Crank. Sounds like a movie title. Wait, wasn't there a movie............................................. ...........checked the cam side run out first, it was a little over .005. Pulled the primary, AGAIN, and ditto, a little over .005 on the PTO side. I spoke with Andrew at Dark Horse Crank works, he was very helpful by the way. He seemed to think that those numbers shouldn't be causing anything as bad as I'm feeling. Hell, the MOCO's recommended max run out is .012! Andrew verified primary chain condition, any 'tight spot' and sprocket/hub alignment with me. All this checked out. Sooooooooooooo

Currently, right now, I have the primary off, AGAIN. Waiting for some specialty tools to arrive so I can change out the inner primary bearing/race and also the clutch hub bearing. I've decided that since I'm here, I should pull the gear set out of the trans and verify that everything is satisfactory, as I have heard of some riders having issues with 3rd gear.

I did notice when dis-assembling the clutch that the inner clutch hub seemed to be off-center where the spline is pressed into the hub and does have a slight wobble that can be seen when mounted on the main-shaft. I thought that this could have been my source of vibration, but it sounds like from what I was able to find researching the internet, that this is normal. ??HUH?, I never noticed this before. Any one else know more regarding this?

Sorry for the long letter. I'm hoping maybe you or somebody else may have had a similar experience and could give me some insight.
I am interested in hearing more about your set up once you get some saddle time.
If this clutch hub wobble is 'normal' and I don't find any issues in the gear box along with replacing the aforementioned bearings, I'll probably be looking at doing the crank over the winter.
Approximately, what options did you choose for your crank? Did your builder send in your bottom end? or just the crank?

Thank you!
Here's a photo of my bike currently

The following 2 users liked this post by XWFONinja:
Bafflingbs (10-16-2020), Puglia10 (10-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Performance baggers