Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Verdict Is In

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:21 PM
jharp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Verdict Is In

Great idea, but can I use them on my Street Bob, my left thigh feels like it's on fire when I get stuck in traffic. And that happens to often in Houston.

Jim

Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this link... http://rjsoriginals.com/

Old 06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: gman
agree 100%. they are a great product, unless you want to support HD/Kury and buy the cheap plastic/lexon thing they sell that many have reported as a POS to install, melting, breaking, etc. RJs work great and look even better. fortunately i made the decision to go with RJs the first time, rather than wasting $60+ for the HD/Kurys and then having to spend more money to do it right with the RJs. Well worth the $. And RJ actually gives a S*** and deals personally with each customer. Guess that is how American business used to be before we had the large, anonymous corporations.
I guess it's a matter of what you like. I bought the "cheap-plastic" Kurys for several reasons, mainly because they cost 1/2 that of the RJ's, and I personally like the appearance of the reflective smoke version on this bike. At some angles they look like chrome, yet others smoked plastic like my windshield and wind deflectors. Based on what I've seen so far I would disagree with you that the plastic is cheap and thus faulty. Mine haven't melted or broken, and even though the install was a bit problematic they are on the bike and working well, even in this S. LA summer heat. The Airmax Saddle Shields, also marketed under the Kuryakyn name, are polycarbonate, not Lexan, which has high-impact and temperature resistance--and since it is also used for eyeglasses I don't think it is prone to breakage. As for effectiveness, I can report the same results as you, and it shouldn't matter if the material separating you from the heat is plastic, vinyl, or leather. Any of the above should be effective, and it boils down to cosmetic appeal. I see no mention on the RJS site about materials used in their heat shields, so I assume they are vinyl, which is also plastic. IMO that is not a vice, as plastic is not necessarily a four-letter word and can be effective almost anywhere if chemically engineered properly.

So, the RJ's sound like a good product for double the price of another good product, both doing the job they were intended to do, which is essentially the same thing. If you like the styling of one over the other, that's individual preference.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

Don't have these myself, but I'm am DEFINITELY getting some for my Road King.

THE LINK? C'mon folks, RJ is a sponsor of this forum!
just look up and to the right of your screen.
Here's the link anyway: http://www.rjsoriginals.com/

Old 06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm another TOTALLY satisfied customer for RJ's great product.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:30 PM
stich
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FLHT

OK, next question. If you have an adjustable back rest do they fit with the adjustment lever?
Quick answer.Yes. I put them on my bike that has the adjustable backrest and the adjuster sit behind and a little to the front of the front side of the heat deflector. I can easily reach in front and adjust my backrest even while riding. No sweat. Get a pair today,you'll be glad you did.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

I may be wrong here but wouldn't the true fix be to install the deflectors along with a fuel management system and a oil cooler? After all the deflectors do nothing to address the real problem... These bikes run to damn lean from the factory! I've installed everything but the deflectors and don't really get the "cooking nads" feeling anymore. But then again I have not set in traffic for more than 10 min. at a time.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 PM
mike280
6th Gear

www.rjsoriginals.com

Old 06-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Softtail Bob

I may be wrong here but wouldn't the true fix be to install the deflectors along with a fuel management system and a oil cooler? After all the deflectors do nothing to address the real problem... These bikes run to damn lean from the factory! I've installed everything but the deflectors and don't really get the "cooking nads" feeling anymore. But then again I have not set in traffic for more than 10 min. at a time.
Mine has Vance & Hines Fuel Pac, SE Air Filter and Hard Krome 3" True Duals, and H-D Premium Oil cooler, and H-D Cylinder Fan. The beast still gets hot, not much can be done until I get DTT installed. So all this is in the interum. Even then its still going to be over 1450 cc's so its not really going to run much cooler.

I think that a true fix would be to rotate the position of the engine 90* to the right or left to have the cylinders off set just like a MotoGuzi. Then all the pipes will be far away from our man berrys. IMO H-D will water cool them before doing that.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:16 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I like 'em. The looks of them, that is. My wife cut me off from buying any new parts.[:@]She says that in the year I have owned the bike, I have done enough. I love her to death, but if I keep spending money on my bike (she calls it the money pit), I think it will be the death of me.[:@]Gotta find her something pretty, to get her off my back. Or get her on her back more often.[:-]

Quick Reply: The Verdict Is In