Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam plate removal and install question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:12 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts
Default cam plate removal and install question...

does the pump have to be removed prior to removing the cam plate. and yes...i have a manual. i have seen a couple of videos both ways. not sure if they may have been edited.

thanks
edit: nvm...the manual cleared it up.

Last edited by memphisharley; 11-08-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: read the manual
Old 11-08-2017, 04:37 PM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

I believe you can but don't rotate pump or motor before reinstall to get it on easy unless u buy the alignment tool.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:25 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by xcbullet
I believe you can but don't rotate pump or motor before reinstall to get it on easy unless u buy the alignment tool.
looks that way...thanks

Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by memphisharley
does the pump have to be removed prior to removing the cam plate. and yes...i have a manual. i have seen a couple of videos both ways. not sure if they may have been edited.

thanks
edit: nvm...the manual cleared it up.
You do not have to remove the oil pump from the cam plate to remove them both. HOWEVER, that will not preclude you from having to align the oil pump upon re-install. At the very minimum you will have to loosen the oil pump bolts and align it by rotating the crank; regardless of whether you rotated the pump or not. That said, I always separate the oil pump from a TC cam plate after I take it out for these reasons:

*The oil pump is much easier to install onto the crankshaft when installed separately.

*The O ring on the scavenge spigot is right there for you to see, feel and position properly. Many times this O ring placement (improperly) can cause sumping issues.

*It makes installing the cam plate/cams easier; you don't have to concentrate on the oil pump and the ends of the cams going into the inner bearing bores at the same time.

One last note and it may not apply but I'm too lazy to go look at what year you're doing. If you have spring tensioners make sure you have the inner tensioner held back from the chain with a pin from the outside. If the tensioner is applying pressure to the chain it pulls the inner cam journals in toward each other and you'll never get them to line up with the bearing bores. Also, I would replace the O ring between the pump face and the cam plate. Neither of these things are relevant issues with hydraulic tensioner systems. The oil pump can be aligned without any special tools, using the bolts only. I use Evo tappet block alignment pins that are now marketed as TC oil pump alignment pins.

Ask away if you have any more questions.

PS
I don't care whether you have a manual or not. I never made it thru the "Get a service manual" police academy

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 11-09-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Ask away if you have any more questions.

PS
I don't care whether you have a manual or not. I never made it thru the "Get a service manual" police academy
lol...thanks for the tips. I'll been looking at the videos and following along with manual. seems straight forward with the correct tools...which I'm gathering.
gotta decide on a cam...

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (11-10-2017)