Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to eliminate tri bar light on SG

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
Default How to eliminate tri bar light on SG

Hey all!
I bought a fiberglass rear fender fascia and it doesn't allow the SG tri bar light to install (I COULD try to mount it but I already have modified the fascia to where I want it and don't want to start over, lol). So, I'm trying to sort out how to eliminate the light (I have the stock taillights/turns and also added a tombstone light also with LEDs so I have enough light already back there). The SG wiring harness plugs into the tri bar light and then the taillight/turn wiring exits the tri bar light.
Here are my questions:

1. Does HD have the opposite electrical terminals to the tri bar so I could just make a "bridge" harness to join the OEM harness together and remove the light altogether?
2. Since the tri bar has a circuit board inside it, will my bike throw a code because the light is missing?
3. Would the wiring harness for a Road King have the correct plugs to do what I want? If I have to change plug ends that's ok.

Any help would be appreciated! I have found lots of info on how to install a tri bar but not to eliminate it. Thanks!
Jerry

Attached Thumbnails How to eliminate tri bar light on SG-img_1076-w-license-blotted-out.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
giacomo56 (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:18 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,220 Likes on 21,819 Posts

I'd look at Custom Dynamics if I were you.
https://www.customdynamics.com/vehic...ed-accessories

Old 11-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Thanks, I would agree, except, that would require me cutting 3 perfectly rounded holes in the fascia , perfectly spaced, and no margin for error. I'm not quite up to that lol. And then try to fasten it to the fascia without any means to. I do have CD LEDs in all of the other lights so lots of light already. But thanks!

Old 11-05-2017, 03:31 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L
Hey all!
I bought a fiberglass rear fender fascia and it doesn't allow the SG tri bar light to install (I COULD try to mount it but I already have modified the fascia to where I want it and don't want to start over, lol). So, I'm trying to sort out how to eliminate the light (I have the stock taillights/turns and also added a tombstone light also with LEDs so I have enough light already back there). The SG wiring harness plugs into the tri bar light and then the taillight/turn wiring exits the tri bar light.
Here are my questions:

1. Does HD have the opposite electrical terminals to the tri bar so I could just make a "bridge" harness to join the OEM harness together and remove the light altogether?
2. Since the tri bar has a circuit board inside it, will my bike throw a code because the light is missing?
3. Would the wiring harness for a Road King have the correct plugs to do what I want? If I have to change plug ends that's ok.

Any help would be appreciated! I have found lots of info on how to install a tri bar but not to eliminate it. Thanks!
Jerry

Your bike inspired me to go big on the front...my rear has extended bags and fascia...looks great....2017 SGS.

The following users liked this post:
Jerry L (11-05-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Anyone done this?

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,466 Likes on 911 Posts

that may work - but the circuit board is in the road king tail light assembly, not your tombstone... this may help: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=717316

Old 11-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Thanks. I have the manual but this helped. I see the circuit board on the SG and RG. Do you think it has to remain inline in order for the taillights to work? or can I just bridge across them?

Old 11-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,466 Likes on 911 Posts

since you have three lights you can probably wire them up normally if you work out the colors and connectors. just two lights on the SG and RG need help working as tail, turn and stop lights.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
since you have three lights you can probably wire them up normally if you work out the colors and connectors. just two lights on the SG and RG need help working as tail, turn and stop lights.
thanks Joe! I think I’ll make a makeshift harness (ok, single wires running from plug to plug) and see if that works. If so, then make it purty lol. Thanks guys for brainstorming with me!

Old 06-22-2019, 11:36 PM
SoCalDyna2015
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry to resurrect but has anyone figured out how to do the wiring for the tri bar delete?

Quick Reply: How to eliminate tri bar light on SG