Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing Tire Brands

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:37 AM
zodder
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Mixing Tire Brands

Hey all. I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me 2009 FLHTCU with 14K miles and couldn't be happier. I came from a VStar 1100 (2005) and it's like night and day haha. The dealer put a new Avon tire on the back, but the older front tire almost seems to have a flat crown on it. Going into curves it seems to ride on the edge of the crown and feels like it wavers between the sidewall and the flattened out part of the tire. It doesn't feel smooth through the whole radius of the turn and the front wobbles a little bit. It's almost like the front tire shaped into more of a car tire shape. I hope I'm describing this so it makes sense....I'm not sure if it's the original tire or not, but I'd like to replace the front tire because of this. I had a set of Metzler 888s on my Yamaha and tread wear was phenomenal! Great grip too. I'd like to put an 888 front tire on it. Has anyone had any issues with different tire brands on front and rear? I've always changed mine as sets in the past so I've never had any experience with it. Should I just get a matching Avon front and switch to the Metzlers next tire change? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Avon makes a good tire. So does Metzler. Tire brand doesn't make all that much difference as long as the tire type or category is the same. Chances are your Avon is a touring/cruiser type tire. So stay with that. Personally I stick with the same tire brand and type just because I like things to match.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:31 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

You can mix tire makes, but I like riding on a matched pair if I am replacing both. I suspect that your front tire has some cupping on it. That would explain the ride. Make sure you check the wheel bearings when you replace the tire.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:47 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,382 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Mixing is not an issue.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:16 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 829 Likes on 568 Posts

As long as it is the correct size. I also came from a VStar 1100 to a 2012 FLHTCU. The VStar was a easier to manage in the city and traffic but out on the road forget about it not even the same experience.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:28 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Wink

Yes you can. This subject comes up regularly around HDF, here is a recent typical thread.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:11 PM
zodder
Road Captain

I hear ya Fireball Jack. The highway ride on the Ultras is unbelievable. The Vstar was great in city traffic but there really is no comparison.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:02 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Mixing brands doesn't matter in the least to the bike.
To the rider? Well that depends on the rider. Some just like to see the same name when they wash the bike. Some have a, idk, an ocd thing about it.
As long as those things don't worry you go with what you have experience with and like.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:58 PM
zodder
Road Captain

Good call on the cupping larsfum. After reading up on that it seems that's most likely the issue. I've read where that isn't necessarily a bad thing or a need to change the tire soon. Since most of my previous rides have been around 530 lbs, I've never experienced it on those bikes. It seems to be a fairly common issue on heavier bikes though. Might not need a front tire after all?

Old 10-29-2017, 09:15 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

I recently replaced the rear with an AVON, but the stock Dunlap up front sill has a bit of life yet. No issues thus far.

As stated, your front tire is probably cupped. I would just replace it with a matching Avon., or if you prefer the put on the Metzler.

Ran the Avons on my bikes for lots of years, so I'm partial to them. Good grippy tire, handles wet and dry roads great, and seams to last as long if not longer than the Dunny's. Plus much cheaper than buying a new set from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Mixing Tire Brands