Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need to tune my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017 | 11:35 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Headers and pipes - yes, you should tune it. Running too lean for long periods isn't good for the engine. Removing the cats will DEFINITELY leave you too lean.

The following users liked this post:
dmorales24 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017 | 06:22 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

I am in the minority, I like the bike as it is and save my money for gas, tires, brakes, and motel rooms. If you are not OCD about maximizing all you can out of the engine, the ECM will tell you if you exceed any perimeters and then need a tune. The bike has a feed back system that will correct air/fuel ratio back to the factory programed settings UNTIL the required correction exceeds the authority programed into the ECM, then you get the engine light. If you don't get the engine light, the computer is happy, and in MY case, so am I. It is your choice if you are happy as long long as the ECM is happy.

Last edited by btsom; 10-19-2017 at 06:24 PM.
dmorales24 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-19-2017 | 07:28 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

96", Vivid Black, Screaming Eagle Ventilator intake, V & H True Dual head pipes w/ Rinehart exhaust, Harley Davidson Race Tuner, Vivid Black lower fairings, Chrome lower forks, H-D Oil Cooler, Floor board extensions, EZ up center stand, and much more.

The above is from your signature. It looks like the bike has already been tuned with an upgraded intake and duals with the race tuner. If that's true, the difference from one set of duals to another should be minimal and easily compensated for by the ECM. I'd put 50 miles on it for the computer to make it's adjustments then see how it's doing. If it's running good and your happy with it, then great. Leave it alone and bank the money for something other than a tune.

dmorales24 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-19-2017 | 07:39 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Yes, it'll need a tune. As others stated, running lean is bad. Dont do it.
Call fuelmoto and get a powervision, you'll be happy you did.

dmorales24 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-19-2017 | 08:27 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

You can go cheap and get a set X- ied’s from nightrider.com. Or on the other side of the scale,you can take a ride to GMR Performance in FT Worth and get your bike tuned right. It gets hot in Texas,you’ll need to something.

dmorales24 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-19-2017 | 09:34 PM
14Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Norcalsvt
yes you will need a tune when doing a full exhaust swap, if you were just changing the muffs then you would not need a tune. Rob
Changed mufflers only on mine and got popping on decel. Went back to stock and no popping.

dmorales24 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-20-2017 | 05:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

I've owned Harleys since the 1970s, when it is was popular to throw an S&S carb on - exhausts were not 'silenced' back then, and you could see straight through my stock mufflers! Modified Harleys often ran badly, because many owners took little effort to tune them right and, funnily enough, that habit carries on to this day.

As we can already see, you have advice ranging from do nothing to do something! While EFI bikes do compensate for riding from a sea level desert up to frozen high altitude, they do not adjust for any mod we might make, that is not their role in life. IMHO changing the entire exhaust system certainly qualifies for tuning to correct for that change. The more care you take in doing that, the better your bike will run and the more you will enjoy it!

The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
dmorales24 (11-03-2017), nobodyknowsme (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017 | 07:27 AM
Jemezcrusher
Advanced

If you are changing the exhaust you are increasing the engines ability to get rid of spent gases. I would seriously think about changing out the air cleaner and get a stage one tune at the same time. You will increase the flow in to the motor and be able to take full advantage of the increased exhaust capability It will improve engine performance and get the proper fuel to air ratio. Maximum performance and also reduced over heating. Sell a couple of those extra seats you have leaning up against the wall to pay for it

dmorales24 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-20-2017 | 07:33 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

I am about to upgrade my engine and am also likely to upgrade from the Power Commander V to the Power Vision with Target Tune. PM me if you’re interested in buying my PCV.

dmorales24 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-20-2017 | 08:52 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior

yes! you need a tune. Its like having a bike that runs badly id you dont get the fuel mix correct, especially with ethenol added, runs too hot. Tunes are fun anyway. FUEL PAK seems to be adequate for many. I run bone stock so I so not have a tuner. IF I needed one I qould get a V&H fuel Pak because many have used it successfully and it comes from a good company, and its relatively cheap.

dmorales24 (11-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Do I really need to tune my bike?