Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rented a Road Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rented a Road Glide...

Road Glide Ultra Harleybago is the only way to go!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 PM
RoadieRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RainMaker

I was very surprised that there was so much of a difference between my UC and the RG. It is a completely different experience.

RG for me...

* Man that thing looks awesome..really lets you profile nicely on it.
* The bikes feel totally different as far as weight/balance. The RG is so much lighter feeling and very centered.
* I seem to sit lower into the bike, as well my wife's height on the back was almost even (she is noticably higher on the UC).
* The ride was smooth and she jumped to 100 quick and was straight as an arrow. I mean zero turbulance on the front end.
* The cluster layout was nice at night. They are white faced with chrome rings (like the SG) and really looks nice. (One would think the UC would have come stock with them.. but nooo...)
* Easier to turn
* Man, handles curves like a sports car, can really hammer thru them on it, not so much on the UC

Dislikes:
* A lot more air on both driver and rider. I felt as if there wasnt a windshield.
* Fixed Fairing, the dash and instruments were so far away. It felt more like a road king....with a fixed fairing :P
* Headlights on a fixed fairing are weird at night. You dont "turn" your light thru the curves, it felt more like a car... didnt like how it left a blind spot feeling to it.
* Windshield height for me was horrible. It breaks right in my line of sight
* No lowers, hit some rain and was soaked
* Not enough storage!!..lol, yes, the tour pac has spoiled me..(Wife missed the UC passenger comforts right off the bat)

Overall, its not for me. After owning the UC, there can be no other. It is by far the best ride I have driven to date... minus a few issues of course.. :P

I've rented or owned now, the SG, RG, UC, and Softtail custom. UC ftw!

Thanks for the pros and cons. I was planning on getting a RG but wasn't 100 percent sure but the way you explained itthe RG is exactly what I want.I plan on getting the quick detach TP don't think I needthe lowers.Decisions, decisions

Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the review Rainman. Priceless info.
I always hear someone complain about a bike they don't have. I will ask "have you ridden one?". They usually say "no".
Good info from an experianced rider.

Doug

Old 06-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

So does the RG handle better than the SG?

Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 PM
tanq
Cruiser

I'm trying to sell my 02 UC right now as I just bought an 06 RG. You hit the highlights of the bike right on the head. The bike out handles the UC by such a large margin that it's almost suprising that they are built on the same frame. I guess that's the best part about the fixed fairing, although you do get hit with a lot more wind as you mentioned. I'm very happy with my decision to switch to the RG but will remember the comforts of the UC for when I'm older.
Travis

Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 PM
BlkNyt
Advanced

So are lowers the fix for the additional wind comingaround the fairingon the RG, or isthere anothersolution?

Old 06-14-2007, 05:16 PM
TX_RG
Cruiser

I have a MAJOR issue with one of the "CONS"

The fixed headlights of the RoadGlide provide more light than other tour bikes including in turns.

When at speed in a curve on a StreetGlide, Road King, ElectraGlide, or UltraClassic, the headlight is pointed in the other direction due to COUNTER-STEERING! This has to be the biggest misconception people have. The headlight is not turning in the direction of the turn due to the fact if you are making a left-hand curve you will apply pressure on the left handgrip and the front tire will deflect to the right causing the bike to lean to the left.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:43 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

>>the headlight is pointed in the other direction due to COUNTER-STEERING! This has to be the biggest misconception people have.<<

We just had this misconception discussion of the COUNTER-STEERING misconception discussion here at work. After a little testing by all involved, it was determine that it is physcially impossible to steer the front wheel in one direction andturn the other unless the rear wheel is sliding. The best we could figure is COUNTER-STEERING really means COUNTER-PRESSURE. At best the headlight will appear pointing strait ahead because the steering angle is so small. But it will not point opposite of the turn. Sorry to high-jack the thread.

Beary

Old 06-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dislikes:
* A lot more air on both driver and rider. I felt as if there wasnt a windshield.
Can anyone with experience give me a comparison to a RK with a stock windshield? One reason I would go to a RG (other than the fact that they're sexy) would be for added protection from the elements.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:54 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: TX_RG

I have a MAJOR issue with one of the "CONS"

The fixed headlights of the RoadGlide provide more light than other tour bikes including in turns.

When at speed in a curve on a StreetGlide, Road King, ElectraGlide, or UltraClassic, the headlight is pointed in the other direction due to COUNTER-STEERING! This has to be the biggest misconception people have. The headlight is not turning in the direction of the turn due to the fact if you are making a left-hand curve you will apply pressure on the left handgrip and the front tire will deflect to the right causing the bike to lean to the left.

True in theory but not in actuality. At speed your front wheel will not be turned right in a left turn unless you are on a dirt track sliding your rear.

Quick Reply: Rented a Road Glide...