Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outerwears Pre-Filter for open element air filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
mikeyflhti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outerwears Pre-Filter for open element air filter

If you are running an open air filter like mine pictured below and are worried about rain, check this out. They are water repellent and are not supposed to restrict airflow. I ordered mine today and should have it next week. The part number is 20-1634. They do not stock these, but will make one for you in red, blue, yellow or black. It takes about a week I am told.

I sent them an e-mail the other day inquiring about a pre-filter for the hd-0800 K&N filter. She called me today, very friendly, and took my order over the phone. I had another question that she couldn't answer and she checked with one of their engineers and called me back in less than 30 minutes. Customer service seems top notch.

I am doing an Ironbutt next Saturday the 23rd. Well, not exactly, we're not filing the paperwork with the Ironbutt association, but a local dealer is doing1,000 and 1,500 endurance rides, as part of their Endurance Rider's Association. I'll take this with me in case it rains. I'll post when I get back how it works, if I use it. Outerwears actually recommends that it be used all the time, that it helps keep your filter clean.

http://outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6689

[IMG]local://upfiles/14641/429CBC06B9A54A3DBB004C12E83FEAA3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-13-2007, 11:02 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Outerwears Pre-Filter for open element air filter

Don't expect it to stop the rain completely......they only do so much.

I used to run one of these on my air filter in my atv, and if it gets wet it lets the water right thru. But if it's just a light spray or quick shower, you'll be all set it will resist that little bit of water.

Steve

Old 06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
mikeyflhti
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I usually take a break if it is a good downpour, but for our 1,000 mile ride I don't want to stop for too long unless the weather is really really bad. If they are calling for alot of rain for most of the trip I may just put the football back on. After that it comes back off.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took off the football cover. I haven't got the chrome outer cover yet, waiting for money. Just wanted to see what it was like. I carry the football cover in my saddlebag, with an allen wrench. Instead of spending money, why don't you just throw the football cover in your bag, and install it, if it happens to rain? In any event, let us know how it works, since it seems as though you have already bought it.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 AM
cowboyglide
Banned

ORIGINAL: mikeyflhti

If you are running an open air filter like mine pictured below and are worried about rain, check this out. They are water repellent and are not supposed to restrict airflow. I ordered mine today and should have it next week. The part number is 20-1634. They do not stock these, but will make one for you in red, blue, yellow or black. It takes about a week I am told.

I sent them an e-mail the other day inquiring about a pre-filter for the hd-0800 K&N filter. She called me today, very friendly, and took my order over the phone. I had another question that she couldn't answer and she checked with one of their engineers and called me back in less than 30 minutes. Customer service seems top notch.

I am doing an Ironbutt next Saturday the 23rd. Well, not exactly, we're not filing the paperwork with the Ironbutt association, but a local dealer is doing1,000 and 1,500 endurance rides, as part of their Endurance Rider's Association. I'll take this with me in case it rains. I'll post when I get back how it works, if I use it. Outerwears actually recommends that it be used all the time, that it helps keep your filter clean.

http://outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6689

[IMG]local://upfiles/14641/429CBC06B9A54A3DBB004C12E83FEAA3.jpg[/IMG]
I have a Forcewinder open K&N filter on my Duece and the new SE K&N pro filter shaped like the Forcewinder on my SG. I've ridden both in heavy rains for long distances with the rain cover on and have never had a problem. I also wash both bikes at the car wash and have never had a problem with water getting into the intake. I have been amazed at how well they work because Ididn't think they would, butI ride with other guys that have them and they have the same results with theirs.