Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding woods 222 cams and porting heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 07:40 PM
robibnlr
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding woods 222 cams and porting heads

I want to add a set of woods 222 cams and want port the heads of my 09 roadglide. I am holding off on building the rest the motor (big bore ect...) for as long as i can. Has anyone done a motor like this and what kind of torque numbers can i expect?

Last edited by robibnlr; 10-08-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Roomer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't ported my heads, but... I have the 222 cams, triple x fuel Moto head pipe, e-series mufflers and a hog snout intake from Gary Williams in Pearl, MS. Also power vision, I recently dynoed 100hp/115tq. Pretty good from a 96" imho.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:12 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Roomer
I haven't ported my heads, but... I have the 222 cams, triple x fuel Moto head pipe, e-series mufflers and a hog snout intake from Gary Williams in Pearl, MS. Also power vision, I recently dynoed 100hp/115tq. Pretty good from a 96" imho.
Can you post the sheet?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:02 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by robibnlr
I want to add a set of woods 222 cams and want port the heads of my 09 roadglide. I am holding off on building the rest the motor (big bore ect...) for as long as i can. Has anyone done a motor like this and what kind of torque numbers can i expect?
You have a 96" or a 103"? Assuming a 96?

If you're going to port the heads, talk to a head porter. I would think you'd be looking at a different cam than the 222 if you have better flowing heads. Unless it's just very basic headwork you're after.

Can I ask why you're looking at holding off going big bore?

Old 10-08-2017, 11:32 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

A few months back I spent a bunch of time researching cams, heads, and big bore kits for my 96" RKC.

I ended up breaking the upgrades into 2 parts. I did the cams (Wood 555s) first and have enjoyed them all summer. I looked hard at the 222 cams but they aren't really suited to a 107 and I don't really need any more bottom end torque for my riding style.

My phase 2 will be the fuel moto 107 kit, with either stock or lightly ported heads. I'm not in a hurry, bike's running well with just the cams and I'll probably wait another year before pulling apart the top of the engine.

In my opinion if you're gonna pull the heads, might as well do the jugs, I would think the power increase from the added compression would be about the same as the head porting.

But then again the Wood 222 cam is really just a bolt-in torque cam for the 96/103, I've not heard of anyone doing a big bore kit or ported heads with this cam. Not saying it can't or hasn't been done, but it's not common, that's for sure.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:37 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,083 Likes on 22,574 Posts

Originally Posted by robibnlr
So what is your question?
You want to add cams but haven't?
You want to have the heads ported but haven't?
You want to know how your motor will be after that if you do these things?
That it?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 AM
robibnlr
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you for the replies

I have been talking with bobby woods, and a few others in the industry, on thier advise i am going to try recamming and regearing my bike before building the motor. I do have a 96" with the open ac and a fullsac headpipe, p.c v. I live and ride in denver co. So i spend alot of time above 6000 feet. Bob woods says that building a motor up here is pointless unless i go all out, for what i do, a simple regear and monster torque cams are the awnser. I am questioning whether some head work would help things flow better? On my 07 s.g having the heads done with the bigbore and intake made a huge differance. I am foing to try out swapping in a r9 tooth clutch basket and the 222 cams, maybe xoing a mild head job if it will do anything

Old 10-09-2017, 09:31 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

rob, visit the Fuel Moto website....you'll find all kinds of charts showing the performance of the 222 cams. You can also call them before making your final decision, and they will be able and willing to give you sound advise on what you should do at your altitude based on what you want now, and what you'd like to achieve down the road. They're technicians as well as merchants, and the technical side of them makes them really straight shooters. While I haven't done business with Hillside, you can check with them too; they have a stellar reputation and will not steer you wrong.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:19 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Porting your Heads is a waste with school bus 222 cams. They quit working before the heads start working. Ya need to figure out what you are trying to accomplish. Talk to a few head and engine guys.

The following users liked this post:
lionsm13 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

I have a question to those with experience. Why wouldn't the OP just CAM it and go big bore. Go with the stock heads?

Quick Reply: Adding woods 222 cams and porting heads