Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I? get to the battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
Default how do I? get to the battery

I've got a 14 street glide, I want to check the battery, how do I get these wiring connectors off the plastic tray that's on top of the battery? do they just pull off? Any other advice?

Attached Thumbnails how do I? get to the battery-img_0983.jpg  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Remove the bolts that hold the cover in place. Remove the electrical plugs there is a clip on the front of the cover that takes some working with. Battery is under that cover

Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I take my seat off, turn my bike over upside down, hold it up in the air as I shake it real good, battery falls right out.
Just kidding, as mentioned above, remove seat, remove the stuff from the top of the battery, and there it is.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Different bike same way to access the battery.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:05 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
Different bike same way to access the battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPwV2wBqOQ
If that guy can do it, anyone can! Lol!

Old 10-06-2017, 09:06 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
If that guy can do it, anyone can! Lol!
LMAO

Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,485 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Check your owners manual, there should be a couple of drawings in there. The connectors are color coded so that should help. The antenna (rectangular looking) for FOB slides on a pin. Take pics with a camera as you go along.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:10 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Every body is helpful but I still don't know if I can just pull those connectors off or if there is some trick to it. they don't slide off or pull off easily. As you can see in the you tube video, dufus was unable to pull them off so he just lifted the tray with the connectors still attached, which probably made the process more difficult.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 578 Likes on 418 Posts

IIRC -
Pull your main fuse.
Unplug the 2 connectors on the left side of the cover (pry up on the latching tab to unplug).
This should give you access to the mounting tab latches for the unplugged connectors.
Release the tab latches & slide the connectors free.
Remove bolts for the ECM mount (the cover) & lift out of the way (should be able to do that w/o unplugging the ECM).
(Out of town & can't check either bike or service manual.)

The following users liked this post:
coop creek (10-07-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:38 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,853 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by coop creek
Every body is helpful but I still don't know if I can just pull those connectors off or if there is some trick to it. they don't slide off or pull off easily. As you can see in the you tube video, dufus was unable to pull them off so he just lifted the tray with the connectors still attached, which probably made the process more difficult.
I don't mess with the ECM computer connections every time I access the battery. The ECM was the first thing he pulled up out of the way.

Those other connections have a tab (visible in the video) that releases the top part (left side in the video) that will pull apart when the tab is pushed in. The bottom part (right side in the video) is "hooked" onto that tray by sliding into a groove-like attachment point that is either moulded into, or snapped into the tray. It's easier to remove and replace them from the tray when the connectors are apart.

he didn't show the battery removal... the only part that can be a bear... if you search, there are numerous suggestions of tricks to get out an old battery and/or things to do when you install a new battery, that will make it easier to get out.

After I replace my battery, it's a good opportunity to check those connections. I inspect the connectors (pins), clean (with electrical contact spray) and put a small amount of dielectric grease on the connectors before I reassemble them.

I've had my bagger five years and I replaced the OEM battery a little less than a year ago. The next time I remove the battery, I will probably remove, check, clean (with electrical contact spray), and use a small amount of dielectric grease on the ECM connections. I just don't like to mess with them a lot. They seem a little more fragile than the other connections...

Good luck...

Last edited by hattitude; 10-06-2017 at 11:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coop creek (10-07-2017)

Quick Reply: how do I? get to the battery