Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Road King Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:08 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Wodan

I know that tab well. Seriously, the whole frame is trash because of it?
Oh no. Not the frame, the BIKE!
No dealer will "repair" a frame. They will jump up and down and scream liability reasons. And demand a frame swap. Which on anything but a pretty much new bike will cost more than the bikes value. This isn't speculation or urban legend. This has been Harley SOP for decade's.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:08 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,519 Likes on 647 Posts

I have a RKC and I agree the bike would have better visuals without the rear bars. Front bars are great for highway pegs and additional lighting.

But I also want to believe I will never have a low speed/ no speed tip-over; a belief I have proven to be wrong a few times in the last 5 years. With bars = no damage; without bars your talking about a lot of cash. Not to mention if you do tip over with no bars, there's little chance of lifting it off the ground by yourself.

Regarding the mustache bar with the passing lamps, personally I like the look of it and I think it's a bad idea to remove anything that will make you more visible on the road.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:37 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1340hog
Those guards are there for a reason and the first time your foot slips on a wet cross walk line or wet road your going to wish they were there.
Or if some knucklehead in a sticker beetle backs into you from 50' away...

Old 10-04-2017, 06:11 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

It pains me to see that bike laying there. It pains me even more to see the flag on the ground. Please tell me that didn't last long.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:23 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
It pains me to see that bike laying there. It pains me even more to see the flag on the ground. Please tell me that didn't last long.
She was upright very soon after, and that flag still flies down the road today...

Old 10-04-2017, 06:29 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 474 Posts

Thousands extra for custom paint, THEN remove the bars that would protect it in a tip-over. I am one of the "It's your bike, do what you want", but I will NEVER understand the LOGIC of this. What happens to resale value by removing the bars? Is that before or AFTER the tip-over?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,240 Likes on 682 Posts

I have pics posted on here of a recent lowside slide that alot of damage was saved having the bars on. I could just remove the bent up bars but im going with either invikta or factory 47 to replace

Old 10-05-2017, 03:29 AM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Oh no. Not the frame, the BIKE!
No dealer will "repair" a frame. They will jump up and down and scream liability reasons. And demand a frame swap. Which on anything but a pretty much new bike will cost more than the bikes value. This isn't speculation or urban legend. This has been Harley SOP for decade's.
I believe you. I know the tab, it's just a 3" x 1" strip, because mine was slightly bent too. I just hit it with a hammer to flatten it again. The bike, went down on a corner at about 20-30 mph once (with someone else on it).

Of course, to repair it properly e.g. weld a new one on and repaint it, which would be risk free, would cost a bit too depending on how much of the frame you thought had to be repainted. Strictly speaking all of it, tho' a rattle can would stop it from rusting.

Just as an FYI, front crashbars also cause damage when they fold up, e.g. denting the tank and can bend or tear the footplate mount brackets.

It's an interesting dilemma. It is ridiculously irresponsible to trash an entire vehicle for the sake of a 3" x 1" welded on strip. But yet it's the perfection of what we have come to demand and the "market forces" insist on whether the factory shops pushing for profits or everyone running in fear from aggressive or bogus law suits. And we all end up paying for it in our insurance premiums.

If it was a car, we'd think nothing of far more chassis welding. It was the norm on older vehicles.

So, yeah, crazy to remove them unless you've got throwaway insurance and don't care, or ride a junker.

It does look better, but how many times do you need to look so cool? The odd pick up or show off, once or twice a year?

Last edited by Wodan; 10-05-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,465 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Wodan
It does look better, but how many times do you need to look so cool? The odd pick up or show off, once or twice a year?
How many times do you drop your bike? I've had a dozen bikes that didn't have crash bars, what makes touring bikes sacred?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Makes me wonder how many Touring bike owners would have opted for crash bars if they were an option.

Beay

Quick Reply: Removing Road King Bars