Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax map with Rine TD's??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thundermax map with Rine TD's??

ORIGINAL: cowboyglide

ORIGINAL: Z_Stingray

Yes, but gas milage will go into the crapper.
Your wrong, minedidn't change.I know because I checkedit on a160 mile run on the stock map and again on a 280 mile runafter I changed it to the final map. 38 mpg before and after. I have a heavy hand and wind it out. I seldom shift until at least 4000 rpm through the first 5 gears. I now have more power using less throttle.
OK, I'm wrong. I, too, switched to a richer mixture to address engine heat - didn't care about milage. I ran a tank of gas yesterday and noticed little to no change in milage. Common sense tells me that a richer fuel mixture is going to consume more gas. I wonder way the gas milage doesn't suffer?

Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 PM
cabbage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just try something that has proven to work for a stage 1 with RH TD's? something easy with a predefined map like the v/h fuelpak for a couple hundred bones? sell your Thundermax, and your substantially positive on the finances...though perhaps your TM is jacked and thats causing the issues.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

ORIGINAL: axe11

Hello Cowboyglide,

Have you talked to anybody from Zipper's about the change of settings you did to correct the popping, especially upon deceleration? I think they would be interested to hear what you did, and I'd be interested to hear what they had to say about it since they haven't provided a fix yet. Thanks for your post.

Ride safe,

axe11
I spoke with them several times and was told I was doing exactly what I should in order to get rid of the popping. They said each bike, even with the same pipes and intake, is a little bit different
and may need to have the map fine tuned to it. If you notice they have several maps for our configuration and have been trying to address the popping issue by richening up the lower rpm settings on them and I think this was enough to solvethe problemonsome or maybe mostof the bikes but not ours. I don't fully understand how increasing fuel causes the poping to go away but I was told by a very knowlageablemechanic that the design of the RH TD pipes and baffels doesnt allow them to scavage as well at closed throttle as other designs and the richer fuel mixture improves scavageing. I don't know if this is true but I haven't heard any explanation that makes any better since. I don't really know why it works but it does. I also tried it the other way just to see what would happen byleaning out the mixtures on the base map because some people swear you are running to rich when it's popping. Well it sounded like the fourth of July with all the popping. In other words it got much worse.
To me the great thing about the TM is it allows you to fine tune these maps right in your own garage and with little work and no additional expense. I also increased the the Auto tune % of adjustment from 5 to 10%. This may have also helped but I don't know.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:57 PM
axe11
Cruiser

I don't mean to contribute to any hi-jacking of the thread, but thanks for your reply, cowboyglide. What you heard from the mechanic, I heard as well from another old-HD-school mechanic, who also loves Rineharts. He explained the same need to richen the mixture up with RH's. Looks like you can't beat Zipper's new Thundermax system for making these kinds of adjustments, or at least for making them easy to do.

Ride safe,

axe11

Old 06-14-2007, 02:00 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

ORIGINAL: cabbage

why not just try something that has proven to work for a stage 1 with RH TD's? something easy with a predefined map like the v/h fuelpak for a couple hundred bones? sell your Thundermax, and your substantially positive on the finances...though perhaps your TM is jacked and thats causing the issues.
I have read posts on this forum with guystalking about having problems withevery fuel management systemmade especially stage1 even with dyno tuning.I have read complaints about V/H fuelpak,PCIII and on and on and on. If there was one perfect fuel management system for all bikes with all different kinds of modifications, ridden in different inviroments and different riding styleswe would all be running it but there isn't. Everyone of these systemshas it's advocates and it's detractors because theywork perfect forsome but not for others.Is there one better than the rest? Maybe, but then it just seems to depend on who you talk to and what they have. Kind of biased information don't you think.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

I spoke with them several times and was told I was doing exactly what I should in order to get rid of the popping. They said each bike, even with the same pipes and intake, is a little bit different and may need to have the map fine tuned to it.
i thought the whole point of the tmax was that it would fine tune itself ?

Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

ORIGINAL: skratch

I spoke with them several times and was told I was doing exactly what I should in order to get rid of the popping. They said each bike, even with the same pipes and intake, is a little bit different and may need to have the map fine tuned to it.
i thought the whole point of the tmax was that it would fine tune itself ?
It does auto tune and the proof is thatmy bike runs strong as hell from a dead stop through all the gears and top end. no pinging, no hesitation, and no back firing. It pulls strong in 6th from 60mph without downshifting. It never ran this good when I had the PCIII on it but it can't tune the exhaust gasthat has already gone past the o2 sensors and then wasn't scavaged when decelingwith a closed throttle( o throttle positon on the map). I believe the auto tune is doing exactly what it is supposed to in relation to the installed map it's just that the map is set to lean at the closed throttle position for the RH TDs and once you richen it up the auto tune does it's thing and the exhaust past the 02 sensors is scavenging better and therefore the decel popping goes away.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

I wanted to add this because it seems there is a lot of misconception out there as far as what the auto tune on the TMax actually does or is capable of doing. Go onto the TMax web site and read what the auto tuner actually does. It only works in relation to the map you install. The mapneeds to be real close, (within 5%)of what the motor, exhaust and intake combination needs to perform at it's best andthe auto tune to be able to read the 02 sensors and then tune and keep your AFR close to the map settings for optimum performance. If you install amap that is too far off for the way thebike is set up, the auto tune doesn't know it's the wrong map and it can only tune to the map you've installed. Go to their web site and read the info for a better explanation.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Hey Cowboy, what are you running for a target AFR?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

ORIGINAL: stro1965

Hey Cowboy, what are you running for a target AFR?