Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:50 PM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm a fan of powder coating rather than paint whenever possible,it's much more durable. I've had lots various parts done over the years, motorcycle and car parts and wheels. It's also not very expensive, bet you could get a full set of exhaust done for 100 bucks.

Last edited by T Man; 10-05-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:53 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem is powder coating isn't made for very high temp like exhaust. I've seen people do it before and it bubbles up.

Anyways, I sanded down my d&d, primed and painted it with vht flame proof paint. I think it turned out pretty nice!

Attached Thumbnails Painting Exhaust-photo841.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Pudgyhd (01-24-2020)
Old 10-06-2017, 05:43 AM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Look good to me

Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,188 Likes on 3,734 Posts

Originally Posted by kylebryan
Can you just post your procedure? Thats kind of the point of this forum is to make the info available to everyone...
Yeah, can you just post it? That's kind of point of this forum otherwise he has to do that whole Google thing....

Last edited by roussfam; 10-06-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM
kylebryan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by roussfam
Yeah, can you just post it? That's kind of point of this forum otherwise he has to do that whole Google thing....
have you ever been "doing the whole google thing" and come across a forum where someone said "PM Me for the answer". These forums are designed to publicly share info so people can search for it. Glad I could educate you.....

Old 10-06-2017, 08:32 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,344 Likes on 11,406 Posts

The problem is powder coating isn't made for very high temp like exhaust. I've seen people do it before and it bubbles up.

Anyways, I sanded down my d&d, primed and painted it with vht flame proof paint. I think it turned out pretty nice!
Nice job

Old 10-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

have you ever been "doing the whole google thing" and come across a forum where someone said "PM Me for the answer". These forums are designed to publicly share info so people can search for it. Glad I could educate you.....
Well, now it's time for me to edumicate you on something called 'common courtesy'... you got all atwitter about having to PM me on my particular procedure. You remember what I said? Here it is:

"...​​​​​​​Sure can...most of time when I post procedures on the open forum I see no interest in them, and they are pretty detailed. But if you're interested, I'll do so."

So, I did as you asked, and sure enough...no acknowledgement, no thanks for your effort, and it looks like you went ahead with your method, which is fine, but here it is again...the reason that I prefer a guy to take a leetle more effort!

You see, when a guy is REALLY interested in the way I do something, just the simple act of sending a PM tells me that it's worth my time and effort. In my mind, this time, it just wasn't worth it. YOU were asking the question, I'm not all that interested in posting it for common consumption, my intent was trying to help YOU out.

But, I guess it's just a different deal out here on the World Wide Web...

The following users liked this post:
sleepymonkeyheritage (09-11-2022)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:27 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Veekness
Well, now it's time for me to edumicate you on something called 'common courtesy'... you got all atwitter about having to PM me on my particular procedure. You remember what I said? Here it is:

"...​​​​​​​Sure can...most of time when I post procedures on the open forum I see no interest in them, and they are pretty detailed. But if you're interested, I'll do so."

So, I did as you asked, and sure enough...no acknowledgement, no thanks for your effort, and it looks like you went ahead with your method, which is fine, but here it is again...the reason that I prefer a guy to take a leetle more effort!

You see, when a guy is REALLY interested in the way I do something, just the simple act of sending a PM tells me that it's worth my time and effort. In my mind, this time, it just wasn't worth it. YOU were asking the question, I'm not all that interested in posting it for common consumption, my intent was trying to help YOU out.

But, I guess it's just a different deal out here on the World Wide Web...
maybe you should go back and look at your post. i did thank you...... In fact, i did use your procedure for the most part so it wasn't a waste of your time.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

maybe you should go back and look at your post. i did thank you...... In fact, i did use your procedure for the most part so it wasn't a waste of your time.
Good deal, I didn't see the quicky 'thank you' feature, my bad... and in looking at that feature I see that three others also thanked me, so, yeah, your point is better made regarding 'general education'... appreciate you pointing that out!

Last edited by Veekness; 10-06-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:57 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,188 Likes on 3,734 Posts

Well now I know how the whole forum thing works....lost many a nights sleep wondering

Quick Reply: Painting Exhaust