Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:54 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Still not buying it, I really don't think that the shock is going to notice a few degrees difference in the angle it sits on the bike, like I said it isn't just the difference between the Honda and HD, the switchback and the sportster also sit at a different angle.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:03 AM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Softy, I understand your feeling, I'm using blocks on my ride now and can't tell the difference. I have to admit however, I don't feel it's the long-term solution. You have to agree that shock placement now days is an engineering marvel. I also feel that moving the angle of the shocks will have some adverse affect whether it's catastrophic or not is pure speculation unless your a design engineer. I had install them just to be able to touch the ground, however, as soon as I get my seat lowered, I will be removing the blocks. I don't feel comfortable playing around with engineered geometry especially traveling on I-95 at 80 MPH...my thoughts are on those $40 blocks holding my *** up off the pavement.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Softy 103
Banned

That’s why there is chocolate and vanilla everybody is different I’ve had lowering blocks on my bike since it was new never had an issue not very good at physics never did understand it but I am pretty good with a wrench like I said never had any problems so I will continue to use them

Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Softy 103
Banned

Forgot to add my bike has over 40,000 miles 95% of the time it is loaded two-up

Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
Still not buying it, I really don't think that the shock is going to notice a few degrees difference in the angle it sits on the bike, like I said it isn't just the difference between the Honda and HD, the switchback and the sportster also sit at a different angle.
I would agree that a couple of degrees may not matter but the more it lays over the worse it gets.
I owned a sporty and it didn't ride near as good as my eg. I have ridden soft tails and they didn't ride as smooth. The shocks on my sporty were not air ride, different animal.
I have heard that installing the lowering blocks can even break the swing arm, due to changing the angle and kicking the bottom of the shock back. It puts the weight further back on the arm causing it to crack. Do a search it is on here. I put them on to see if I liked the lower stance before spending the money on shocks. I dropped it 2 inches to start with and my wife ask me what did you do to the bike? something is wrong, it rides rough. I moved it up 1 notch and she said better, but why can't it be like it was. I said it will be. I am taking them off. Anyways I was just giving information that I am glad I received. do with it what you want.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

I personally don't believe that either H-D's stock suspension or the lower end of the after market are that advanced that it would matter.

I mean, aren't they still using 1970s shocks? Have the ones they use on the Tourers been developed at all?

I had lowering blocks and took them off. Made cornering impossibly easy to grind. The stock shocks are so poor, I cannot tell if the angle made any difference or not. Changed them for longer ones that actually work, with a modicum of attention to my actual weight and riding preferences.

Also, the lower you go down, the less you can see over cars in front or around you.

I think that air suspension that automatically rises when you ride, and allows the bike to handle normally, is the answer.

Before people buy and start to hack their bikes about, here's a useful list.

http://motorcycleviews.com/general/seatheights_hd.htm

It's a wonder H-D don't take all this lowering stuff on board and make a recumbent motorcycle.

Honda had a pitch as a semi-recumbent motorcycle NM4. It's seat heigh was still 25" along side H-D lower end.

Most of the ones that have been done have been unfortunately "futuristic" with Akira-esque designs that would give the traditionalist an apoplectic attack but they make more sense that the usual "drag bars and forward controls" of many custom bikes. They are called "fee forward" bikes with handlebars you can reach.

Here's one of the more modest ones.

There was an "all American" one called the Alligator but it got its bars wrong still requiring a forward reach.

Perhaps someone needs to make hydraulic "training wheels" that pop down from the bottom of the saddlebags to hold the bike up, as per the MonoTracer.

If I was Jay Leno, I'd have one of these in my garage. No reason why it could not be H-D or S&S powered.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 AM
kfchd
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by svarnster
they kick the shock back at the bottom, which causes the shock to not move correctly also adding extra pressure to the swing arm. thus causing for a rougher ride and possibly breaking the swing arm. I put them on my ultra classic and they are coming back off. I like the look but not the ride. I had them in the 2 inch drop hole and immediately switched to the 1 inch drop. I may as well have been riding a hard tail at the 2 in drop. try mean city cycles seat mod and see if they can help. I have read a lot of good about them.
ditto what you said. they didn't last long on my bike either

Old 10-08-2017, 05:42 PM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the rear lowered 1". I ended up with a set of lowering blocks that move the shock mount down, not back. The shock angle stayed the same as factory.. I can touch my feet down well and flat foot if I stretch. This should work well for me ,as I have never been able to flat foot any bike I every had in 25 years. This bike is the lowest I have had. It is raining here so no test ride today. Next week I plan to be on the bike every day and put a couple thousand miles on it.

The following users liked this post:
OldPhat (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:36 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

fabricater----Who makes the lowering blocks that you got,
will help the rest of us short people who are 5'-7" or less.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by OldPhat:
fabricater (10-08-2017), tidbit1 (11-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 07:34 PM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
fabricater----Who makes the lowering blocks that you got,
will help the rest of us short people who are 5'-7" or less.

John
I knew someone would ask and I though the package away. I will dig it out of the trash.

The following users liked this post:
oldbie (10-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Lowering???