Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 08:33 PM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by racerfranz
I just installed progressive front lowering springs in the forks of my 2000 road king. You can go 1" or 2" lower. I bought them based on positive reviews here. I went the 2" route.
In the rear, I initially went with the lowering brackets, I got them from Hogworkz for about $45. They had an option of about 1"- or 2". I found the "2" option to really be about 1 1/2", and my old air shocks were shot anyway, so I ended up buying Burly Slammer shocks which...slammed it down about 2 1/2".
Obviously, you don't need yours as low as I went, I'm 5'6" and really wanted to do the lowrider thing... I also put an HD Badlander seat on. Now I'm flat-footed when sitting at a stop or backing it up.

I got the progressive kit from J&P for around $120.
Now the issue is not hitting the engine guard with the fender... I removed the fork baffle/ air deflector from the lower triple clamp because I'm fairly sure it will hit.
I ordered the progressive lowering springs and the rear adjusting brackets from jpcycles this evening. I am about the same height as you,5'-7" with a short inseam.also ordered a shortened kickstand. I thought about just cutting the factory one off and welding a new foot plate on it and painting it black. I still may end up doing that if I don't have enough lean on the bike.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

I lowered my softail with Progressive cartridges in front and shocks in rear, different bike, same idea. 1" in front and over 2" in back. The front cartridges ride much better. I also installed a 1" shorter kickstand. I wish I had not changed kickstand as I don't think it needed it. Just sayin...you may want to try stock stand before spending the $$$

Good luck with your project and keep us tuned in.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:23 PM
racerfranz
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fabricater
I ordered the progressive lowering springs and the rear adjusting brackets from jpcycles this evening. I am about the same height as you,5'-7" with a short inseam.also ordered a shortened kickstand. I thought about just cutting the factory one off and welding a new foot plate on it and painting it black. I still may end up doing that if I don't have enough lean on the bike.
Did you join the gold club? It'll pay for itself quickly... I will probably have to get a shorter kickstand as well. just replaced the old one too.
I still find the shifters and floorboards too far forward for my taste. Guess I'm just used to riding GP bikes and sport bikes.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 PM
racerfranz
Advanced

I don't know how anyone rides with forward controls...I had a `73 Honda 500Four, and it had highway bars on it when I first bought it, froze my ***** off riding it home that first night, removed the bars the next day. I took the foot pegs off of my highway bars, just want the protective quality.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:31 PM
racerfranz
Advanced

I was just thinking, and as I read TXNT's post, if you are only going 1" in the front, you may not need to shorten your kickstand.
I went 2", but I'm putting on a 21" wheel, which will raise it another inch or so I'm told. So, we'll see...

Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 PM
benscratchin
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,343 Likes on 4,696 Posts

Originally Posted by fabricater
I am new to HD. I did have a 2010 ultra limited for a couple years. I just got a 2012 ultra limited and need to lower it. Is there a kit that is better than the others? or are they all a out the same. Looking to get the front and rear down about a 1-1/2"
I own a 2012 FLHX StreetGlide.
Comes from the Factory already lower than the other Touring models. I bought a $99 lowering kit made of stainless steel from the H-D Dealer that lowered the rear end 1". I installed it myself NP. I like it, still only scrape the foot-boards. The front end which I have not done will require changing fork springs, more work, more expensive.

The following users liked this post:
fabricater (10-03-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Chickrider
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the Burly Kit and it was real rough riding. Then got Progressives I think 944's @11" for the rear and a progressive drop kit for the front. Dropped both 2" and custom C&C reach seat, built up my boots and it flat foots me but I'm only 4'11"

The following 2 users liked this post by Chickrider:
fabricater (10-03-2017), tidbit1 (11-26-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 07:13 AM
flanigans45
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Long rides/trips you will wont comfort I used the progressive monotube fork cartridge lowered kit for the front. 944 standard for rear. my bike is a 2015 RK with 36,000 miles. we ride. Most people don't ride long so they don't look for comfort. Bar Hopers !!!

The following 2 users liked this post by flanigans45:
fabricater (10-03-2017), racerfranz (10-02-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 PM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for all the great info. My parts should be here by the end week . I hope it works out good for me and the bike.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats on the parts order, be sure to follow up and let us know how it works out for you

The following users liked this post:
fabricater (10-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Lowering???