Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aquatic av rf question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017 | 10:43 AM
voodoodrug
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default aquatic av rf question

hand controls acting up, volume going way up or down, not turning on/off. usually when hand controls get wet. navigating thru funtions/menu behaving strang.All intermitant, All in all great stereo.

contacted tech support and they confirmed what i suspected. "Look into hand control/pinched wire......"

have been doing some research on attacking the intermittant problem when I discovered a bulletin ON THERE facebook page about rf interference causeing the same problem.WOW tech support could have mentioned that i guess.

Ok fast forward: ordered ferrite beads today. (ez and cheap to try first) bought a veriety pack for 16$ off amazon...

going to place one as close to my led head lamp(jw speaker brand authentic), and one as close to my biketronics amp?

Does that sound right? the passing lamps im thinking are encased and outside the fairing so not necessary ?

any and all feedback welcome, thank you (posted in audio sound section too) I can live with this issue, best hu ive had and im on my 4th

Last edited by voodoodrug; 09-30-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2017 | 06:36 PM
voodoodrug
|
Stellar HDF Member

moving as much wires away from my radio and placing the rf chokers on the led(tried 2) and amp(tried 1) seems to have made a very noticeable differance. so far, on/off and navigating through the menu is noticable smoother without one hiccup. The big test is in the rain when the fairing becomes one big rf antenna. I can already tell at least its working excellent so far.

wanted to at least post back for the next person, who might be ready to tear there handle bars apart looking for a short, spending hours looking into the web, or calling there support and find nothing but crickets churping.

The following users liked this post:
Big Dave (12-08-2017)
Old 12-09-2017 | 03:26 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Sounds like a pinched wire or exposed, non insulated connector
, good luck with that. When you moved the wires, you might have improved connectivity temporarily in the pinched wire. I've had several aquatic units over the years and never had any issues like you're describing.

Old 12-09-2017 | 08:03 AM
voodoodrug
|
Stellar HDF Member

very well could be.

i looked over the wires and nothing pinched. I carefully just moved the wires I had secured in the fairing to be secured more towards the peripheral of the fairing, kind of like parting your hair. And yes no one has heard of this before, until I read one of the companies facebook pages were they explain(they posted a box warning) the exact same problem, something about the remote control they sell as an option can be mimicked buy rf interferance, its like when two people with two remotes are fighting over which channel to watch. All the info I found was related is concerning radio reception interference , the radio sounds and works great btw,best radio ive heard on the bike(stock,2 soney units) so there radio is not affected as would be predicted but sense this also goes in a boat lol,not the two wheeled boat, it has a remote and there is what seems to be the weak spot.

another thing i did was remove the aux cord.

Old 12-09-2017 | 09:23 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Keep us posted. I also have the Aquatic unit, but I do not have any of the issues you are having. I have had the handle bar volume switch fail. It would go to max volume on it's own intermittently.

Old 12-09-2017 | 11:01 AM
voodoodrug
|
Stellar HDF Member

thats happened to me when it rained out, Something did't seem right after taking l-controller appart,inpecting wires, (and possably replacing next) one time when in a downpore the other controller acted up too. then also why did manuelly navigating through the radio sometimes stick/hard to get to screens...on/off stuck?...could be a short even now but just doesnt add up 100% in my mind so heres where im at. immiediate difference with things i did above.Real test will be the downpore but that only happens occationally during the year.

Old 12-09-2017 | 11:10 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

What model Aquatic HU are you using ?

Dave

Old 12-09-2017 | 11:15 AM
voodoodrug
|
Stellar HDF Member

AQ-MP-5UBT-HS

as they say on the forum alot, "what did you just do " when the volume control did that.....added the radio...another clue