Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Install on FLHRS "Custom"

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:16 AM
hej
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Install on FLHRS "Custom"

I have an 06 FLHRS/I with Wild One Chubby 518 bars. I'm looking to add the HD cruise module. Anyone know if this kit has 1 or 2 wiring/controls? Any experience with runnning the wiring through the bars?

Thx

Hal

[IMG]local://upfiles/5343/00D53EA9CE514D1EACA8263EF88D3ED6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Install on FLHRS "Custom"

The HD cruise kit for your bike will include new right and left hand handlebar switches and housings. Basically, it is the same set-up that comes standard on the RK Classic; so take a look at a Classic to see the set-up.

If you don't already have a Service Manual, you should buy or borrow one (IMHO)since the HD installation instructions will refer to it several times for the installation of the kit, and the "initialization" procedure referred to in the installation instructions are in the service manual, but not the install instructions.

Also, ask you parts guy at the HD store to print out the instructions for the HD cruise kit for your bike and review the instructions a couple of times. I do this when I am thinking about buying an HD accessory and am not sure if it is an installation I am comfortable doing. The instructions will also include a parts breakdown so you can see what is going on the bike ahead of actually purchasing the kit. As for the cruise kit, it will help you see what chrome switch housing you will need to purchase if those are part of your installation.

If you are going to do the installation yourself, purchase a couple of extra 11193 c-clips and a couple of extra brass ferules for the throttle and idle cables. The c-clip is very small (and cheap) and the one included with the cruise kit is easily lost, so having a couple of spares handy saves looking for the lost one or a trip to the HD store for a replacement; same thing goes for the brass ferules.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. Plus--running the wiring through the bars---
You are going to have to cut the connectors from each side of the wiring, then splice em back.
It was my experience that the casing wouldn't go through, so I stripped it, attached the wiring to a coathanger with elec. tape and ran em through. Make sure you have all the splices correctly tied and taped.
As for the 'c' clips, yep, get several. You've gotta have the hands of a 4 year old to reach back there. It's a real pain in the azz, and it'll take you a coupla 6 packs to finally get it on!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 AM
cubcake1
Tourer

I would love to see progress pics if you install them

Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 PM
hej
6th Gear

Thanks everyone for the help. The HD site shows only one control in the picture of the part but I thought I'd need two. Is there a way to remove the pins from the connectors? Also do I have to remove both end or just one side of the cable? Seems like I should be able to deal with just one side. What about the length, will I need to extend the wiring? I had the dealer put the bars on when I bought the bike and they charged me a small fortune because of the wiring. It sounds straight forward just a matter of taking my time. The dealer wanted ~$400 to put it on and said well never mind but I'd like to have the cruise.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you want the cruise control?I never really understood the need on a bike. I use a throttle boss and the turn throttle lock on my rk custom. Seems to be plenty for me. I have rented bikes, in the past, and never really liked the way I felt out of control. It is your ride, just thought I would ask. Seems to me, the money could be spent on other stuff. Good luck with the install, hope it goes smoothly.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:15 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

Why do you want the cruise control?
Although I don't have a CC on my bike (I do have a "Cruise Buddy" however), people that have the CC swear by them & say they would never own a bike without one again............

~John

Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
sarge189
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed cruise control on my wife's Street Glide. Do yourself a favor, if you don't have a pair of long needle nose pliers, make the investment. Attaching the "c" clip on the end of the cable on the throttle body was a challenging task. The needle nose pliers made it much easier. It took about 2 hours for the install. Here are the instructions for the Cable Lashing procedure that will need to be done after the installation.

Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization
For Harley Touring Models

1.) [/b]With the Ignition off, push the right cruise switch to RESUME and hold it there.

2.) Push the left cruise on/off button to ON.

3.) Turn on the ignition switch and crank the engine. The GREEN ENGAGED light will illuminate for three seconds and go out. When it goes out, release the RESUME switch.

4.) With the bike still running, push the right cruise switch to RESUME again and hold it while the unit pulls in the slack in the cable. When the engine revs up a bit and the green light goes out again, release the RESUME button and turn the ignition switch off.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:24 PM
dank11
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

Why do you want the cruise control?
Hey!
I installed it on my FLHT
And Think it's Great
I think You are more out of control using the throttle Lock
But
Every one is different

Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Hej: I guess the MOCO didn't want to post pictures of all the different cruise control kits and used one of the Electra Glide kits for the pic so it shows only the right side switches. The bikes with fairings have a fairing cap where the cruise control on/off switch is located. The RK's don't have a fairing to mount that switch so the on/off switch isincorporated into the left handlebar switch housing. As mentioned earlier, check out the switch housings on a RK Classic (since these come originally equipped with HD cruise control and you will see the on/off switch in the lower left switch housing.)

One of thebenefits of having the HD service manual is that it contains an Appendix that shows the various connectors used on the bikes and how to remove and install the pins/sockets that they contain--the very connectors you will need to dissassemble and reassemblein order to run the new left and right sideswitch wires inside the handlebars.

Quick Reply: Cruise Install on FLHRS "Custom"