Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Install on FLHRS "Custom"

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:50 PM
hej
|
6th Gear
Default RE: Cruise Install on FLHRS "Custom"

Wow thanks for the additional info! Really helps out a lot. I went to the dealer today and got a print out of the install instructions. Sure enough both sides of the controls which is what I suspected. I ask them why $400... it was $320 for the internal wiring and $80 for an hour to put the CC unit on.

PapaTravis... Why CC? Last year I took a 4K road trip and towards the end going across the desert my hand was getting tired. I tried the screw last year and hated it. I felt like I didn't have any control. This year I'm doing 6K road trip up to Canada and then back thru SD, WY, CO, MT, ID and WA. The stretch from San Diego up to Oregon on 5 I'm going to try and do in 1 day or 1 1/2 days. I'm thinking on the return I might be a little tired again and figure what the heck maybe a cruise would be good to have. A guy I ride with has CC on his RK Classic and loves it.

Thanks Sarge189 for the lash instructions. That was 2 hours... did you running the wiring internal on the bars? Definitely have the long needle nose pliers. Think I'll pick up a few of the "C" clips. I've dealt with them before and yes they are a PITA! Do you think the stock harness is long enough with my Wild One 518s? Also the tech I talked with today said oh the idle and throttle cables have to be changed... I was like huh... I didn't tell him I had already read the install instructions. I didn't see anywhere it said I need to change these.....

Today I started thinking maybe I should go ahead and put on a 2 wheel tunes system. That way I can run the wiring internally the same time I do the CC stuff. Anyone ever put on one of these units?

Anyway well think with all the feedback I'll go for it and try to put it on my bike myself versus bending over...

Thanks again everyone.

Hal

Old 06-14-2007 | 11:38 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I put it on my Road King Custom last month. Paid 269 at the dealer and they installed it for 1.5 hours labor @$72 per hour. A bargain I thought! I use it all the time. Having carpel tunnel in both hands it is nice to ride on the highway relaxed some times.

Old 06-15-2007 | 05:33 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

hej, I wasn't trying to slam you. Obviously you do a lot more riding than I do. I rarely get to take a ride longer than 500 miles, so I can see why you would want it. Sure wish I was able to get those kind of miles down. What with work, kids and a wife that doesn't let me out of her sight, there is no way. She has just started letting my loose on Sunday's for a ride alone. Personally, I think she is getting tired of me. Little does she know, I welcome the time by myself. Although, of course, I enjoy every minute with her and my girls.

Good luck with the install. Did you check out www.chicagoharley.com? They give a 20% discount. May be something to check out.

Old 06-15-2007 | 10:56 AM
hej
|
6th Gear

Hey I didn't take it the wrong way. I had the same question myself why would you want cruise on a bike. I usually go on 100 to 200 mile rides on the weekend and sometimes 300 miles. If that's all I did I wouldn't put a cruise on for sure. It's just on the long rides where I going between 400 to 500 miles a day for 2 weeks it's the sections where you can see down the road for 30 miles I thinking man I need cruise. I guess I put a lot of miles on because my bike is 18 month old and I already have 13K miles on it. By the end of July I'll hit the 20K mark for sure and will need my second rear tire and hoping my original front will make it through the trip. Anyway I have 3 weeks before I take off and we'll see if I can get the cruise on in time for the ride.

Old 06-15-2007 | 10:59 AM
modes
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hej

Also the tech I talked with today said oh the idle and throttle cables have to be changed... I was like huh... I didn't tell him I had already read the install instructions. I didn't see anywhere it said I need to change these.....
If you look infront of your tank on the frame neck, throttle side, you can see your throttle and idle cables. The idle cable should have a rubber cone-ish boot on it with two electrical connectors attached to it...my friends '07 roaddy custom we worked on last night came from the factory with it, despite no CC. So you should be good, unless they changed the cables when they installed your bars, then it would be possible that they did not get the cable with the connectors. My friend had two reorder his idle cable because he is thinking of maybe adding CC in the future so might as well prep for it now and the first cable as listed in the book to fit a road king custom did not have the CC connectors on it. Either way you would only require a idle cable and not the throttle cable if the connectors are not there.

adam