Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What next?
Rebuild the motor
53.65%
Replace with S&S
27.90%
Replace with used Harley motor
16.31%
Sell bike in "as is" condition
2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Blown -- Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017 | 01:00 PM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior
Default Engine Blown -- Now What?

In June I noticed a nasty rattle. Took it to the local indy, who gave it a listen with a stethoscope. Probably a wallowed out wrist pin bushing but no way to tell for sure without tearing into it. Told me of a guy who had a similar situation, rode his bike for a couple of years before it gave out. Mine didn't make it that long. Yesterday I'm tooling down the freeway during rush hour and I lose power. I coast to the side of the road and, long story short, engine won't crank.

I had thought about trading in the bike before it blew, but that didn't feel right. I would sure have hated to have some guy on a "new to him" have the engine blow out.

My choices seem to be:

rebuild the motor

replace the motor with something aftermarket -- probably an S&S T111 or T1245

Replace the motor with a used TC96 -- least expensive option to get back on the road

Sell the bike in "as is" condition

Let's have your votes and your thoughts.

Old 09-19-2017 | 01:15 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior

If I was in your situation I'd tare down my motor and see how extensive the damage is. If its gonna be reasonable to rebuild bigger and better for shorter money than a used motor I'd go that way to keep the #s correct. But if money is an issue and a rebuild is not gonna be feasible is say used harley

Old 09-19-2017 | 01:17 PM
RevBlk
Road Master

Tons of used 103's on CL or Kijiji. I'd go that route unless it's a forever bike in which case I'd go with Fuell Moto 124. You have to split your cases anyway if the small end of the connecting rod is beyond service limits. I'd be tempted to pull the heads and jugs and maybe you got lucky. New top end and away you go. Good time for a 107. How many miles on the engine would be deciding factor as well as finances.

Last edited by RevBlk; 09-19-2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-19-2017 | 01:22 PM
GRWHD
Road Warrior

I voted but I feel like people need more information.
I realize you only have so much info, but I feel you have to have more than you listed.
How much is the S&S, what does a crate motor cost, used motor....
Do you even want to keep the bike in the first place?
Or were you already looking before the motor went (are you attached)?

As far as trading it in, if the noise was obvious (something was wrong) and they will take the bike who cares.
I sold one of the kids cars " as is, where is " because I did not want to deal with it.
I sold it right and was honest with the buyer, the add was very specific.
I even recommended to a few people to stay away, that it was allot more work than they wanted.

If i liked the bike I would open that baby up and look inside.
But then I like a project (as long as I have something to drive, its almost winter).
But I think I would have opened it up before it took a dump.

JMHO

Old 09-19-2017 | 01:25 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior

Mileage ? I would take it down to see where the problem is. and probably rebuild with some goodies. I want to take mine off and send it to hill side cycles and have them build it for me. but I ain't got enough $$$ yet

Old 09-19-2017 | 01:31 PM
pdbuzz
Club Member

I voted too, and I'd tear into it since I'm fortunate enough to have a garage (which just keeps the weather out, it's still colder than a f***er out there during the winter!), so I'd put it on the lift and start pulling it apart, because that part costs nothing but time. You might learn a bit more about your rig and you may find the problem isn't as bad as you thought!

I'm like Gary (GRWHD) though, in that I'd like a project for the off-season. Don't think I'd wish for yours though! Good luck!

Old 09-19-2017 | 01:39 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Unless you are willing to sell it as is. Tear it down and see what you are working with. It may not be that bad to rebuild it. An aftermarket motor or another swapped out with non matching numbers is going to still reduce the value of what you have. How many miles are on the bike now?

Old 09-19-2017 | 02:40 PM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

To answer the common question -- just over 75,000 miles on the bike.

I also agree with the common theme that it would have been better to tear it down and take a look before it went teats up. I was really hoping to make it to winter.

pdbuzz -- I'm just a few short miles south of you, so if you're looking for a fall project to warm you up for your winter projects . . . come on down!

Old 09-19-2017 | 02:48 PM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GRWHD
How much is the S&S, what does a crate motor cost, used motor....
Do you even want to keep the bike in the first place?
Or were you already looking before the motor went (are you attached)?
The S&S T111 can be had for $6K; a few hundred more for the T124.

I can find a 103" take off for $2900, maybe less.

A 96"er with some miles on it would be half that.

Am I attached? Yeah, I find that I am. This is a bike that I've ridden around the whole country on (literally -- my daughter and I did a 48/10 together on this bike and a 50CC last spring).

Old 09-19-2017 | 02:51 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

I'd check book on it. If the rebuild isn't too much more than the value of the bike with that many miles, I think I'd rebuild it, and upgrade it while I was at it.

Quick Reply: Engine Blown -- Now What?