Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What next?
Rebuild the motor
53.65%
Replace with S&S
27.90%
Replace with used Harley motor
16.31%
Sell bike in "as is" condition
2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Blown -- Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017 | 01:08 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
Spent a LOT of time trying to get the right muffler off. No luck. I'll start another post for tips on that.
Use PB Blaster, spray it on the slip-on/head pipe joint real good and let set overnight. Then use a rubber band clamp around the muffler to start twisting it back and forth.

Last edited by Bowhunter61; 10-03-2017 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AtticusFinch (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017 | 04:29 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

I've had a few mufflers that were harder to get off then they should have been, and this is what I did. Loosen the clamp and slide it towards the front. Using a propane torch, heat the MUFFLER end not the pipe, and tap on it with a mallet and or a piece of wood. Heat it just enough to expand the muffler end a bit, not so much as to discolor it. Twist it it a little while tapping on. What ever it takes.,,,

Old 10-03-2017 | 06:46 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

I voted rebuild, but you have choices.

Harley Crate Engine, or Harley Long-Block Replacement Program.
You can rebuild the engine the way you want, but how much can
you afford to spend ? ? Myself I would go big as you Can on A
rebuilding.

There was a Forum member here that got a High Out Put 103 engine & put
it in his 2007 Road King and was happy with it. I think it was Notgrownup.

Last edited by OldPhat; 10-03-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2017 | 06:56 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Use PB Blaster, spray it on the slip-on/head pipe joint real good and let set overnight. Then use a rubber band clamp around the muffler to start twisting it back and forth.
PB Blaster works good, I prefer Kroil, but it's said that a fifty fifty mix of acetone and ATF is the best penetrating fluid of all.

OP, if you want a pic of the 'rubber band clamp' that Bowhunter speaks of, let me know, I believe KD tools and a few others make them...I've got one and it works as well as anything could in twisting mufflers without damaging them.

Old 10-03-2017 | 10:18 PM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Veekness
OP, if you want a pic of the 'rubber band clamp' that Bowhunter speaks of, let me know, I believe KD tools and a few others make them...I've got one and it works as well as anything could in twisting mufflers without damaging them.
I would appreciate that. Thank you. My google search left me a little confused, but I did find this device, called a rubber strap wrench, that might be the ticket:

Old 10-03-2017 | 11:42 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

I would appreciate that. Thank you. My google search left me a little confused, but I did find this device, called a rubber strap wrench, that might be the ticket:

That's the one! Works good! Mine was made by KD Tools, but it's essentially the same tool...hit the pipe joint with your choice of penetrating fluid...except WD40, it's not a penetrating fluid nor a lubricant, but it's the best as a water displacement agent (Water Displacement, 40th formula), or as a way to get gunk off your bike. Some folks will differ, but that's ok...let it soak for a while, then have at with your strap wrench!

Old 10-04-2017 | 05:23 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

That would be what I was talking about

Old 10-14-2017 | 01:47 AM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

I'm no expert, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is not good.

Making progress.

This did the trick. I hope it doesn't hurt anything to do it this way.

Lucky for me, I'm taking the inner primary off anyway. Maybe I should grind it down a little while I have it off so next time I need to remove the rotor I don't have to grind it while it's on the motorcycle.

Well guys, by tomorrow I should have the engine out and then I'll take a peak inside. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 10-14-2017 | 05:54 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior

we are wishing you the best. I really like the pics to help me follow the progress. good luck.

Old 10-14-2017 | 07:47 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

I'm no expert, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is not good.

Well guys, by tomorrow I should have the engine out and then I'll take a peak inside. I'll let you know what I find.
Yeah agreed. Good luck. Just me but I would keep the cost low and rebuild yours or used 96 103

Quick Reply: Engine Blown -- Now What?