Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What next?
Rebuild the motor
53.65%
Replace with S&S
27.90%
Replace with used Harley motor
16.31%
Sell bike in "as is" condition
2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Blown -- Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017 | 09:28 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior

start tearing her apart and let us know what you find.

Old 09-22-2017 | 12:33 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but yes really. I had a 107 build that tanked on me. The option was a total 107" rebuild (new crank, pistons, cyclinders, etc...) for about $1000 cheaper than the S&S 124". Now I already had an exhaust and clutch that could work with the 124" so as Steve points out below there could be additional costs.
Nope, not sarcastic in any way! I had no idea they were that affordable.

Old 09-28-2017 | 08:52 AM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Now I already had an exhaust and clutch that could work with the 124" so as Steve points out below there could be additional costs.
I would need to beef up my clutch if I go with the 124. I'd like some additional thoughts on the exhaust? I'm currently running Vance & Hines Monster Ovals with Fuel Moto's high flow AC. Can I keep that set up, or do I need to go with a more free flowing exhaust setup?

Old 09-28-2017 | 10:39 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

at 140,xxx my front cam bearing **** the bed... bike was running fine... but the noise told me it wasn't good....
ok... face the same options as you... I went with a serious rebuild of my engine... while I was at it... new swing arm bushing, new belt, rear pulley (front was replace @ 106k).

A 2005 FLTRi with 140,xxx miles on it, might be bought by someone who "knows" the bike... but there are dozens of same vintage, with less than 20% of the miles.... so I had no choice

The following users liked this post:
AtticusFinch (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017 | 11:39 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
I would need to beef up my clutch if I go with the 124. I'd like some additional thoughts on the exhaust? I'm currently running Vance & Hines Monster Ovals with Fuel Moto's high flow AC. Can I keep that set up, or do I need to go with a more free flowing exhaust setup?
What is your headpipe?

Old 09-28-2017 | 11:55 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
rhuff asked a good question, what headpipe do you have now? I will say a good 2-1 will get you the most but I don't think it is absolutely necessary. I would look at some dyno sheets for the different S&S 124" builds, there are lots of them out there with different exhaust. HTT has a whole forum section (Dyno Runs) where all you post is dyno sheets for different builds. You can see how the different exhaust affect the curves. I believe a good 2-1-2 will get a lot out of the 124". But I will say that when I had mine done another guy had a Fat Cat 2-1 exhaust, same build as mine but my lower end of the torque curve was much flatter, his had a dip to it that was noticeable. So even the different 2-1 exhaust can have an affect on the Dyno results and therefore the ride-ability. Which is ultimately what you should be worried about, unless you are after peak numbers.

Old 09-28-2017 | 12:19 PM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rhuff
What is your headpipe?
Stock, so it's a non-cat 2-1-2 system.

rhuff asked a good question, what headpipe do you have now? I will say a good 2-1 will get you the most but I don't think it is absolutely necessary. I would look at some dyno sheets for the different S&S 124" builds, there are lots of them out there with different exhaust. HTT has a whole forum section (Dyno Runs) where all you post is dyno sheets for different builds. You can see how the different exhaust affect the curves. I believe a good 2-1-2 will get a lot out of the 124". But I will say that when I had mine done another guy had a Fat Cat 2-1 exhaust, same build as mine but my lower end of the torque curve was much flatter, his had a dip to it that was noticeable. So even the different 2-1 exhaust can have an affect on the Dyno results and therefore the ride-ability. Which is ultimately what you should be worried about, unless you are after peak numbers.
Yeah, I guess that's the real question. It's not WHETHER I will lose performance with the exhaust system I have now. It's HOW MUCH will I lose and will that make a difference to me.

What is HTT?

Old 09-28-2017 | 12:25 PM
Wodan
Banned

You won't get the same re-sale value with an S&S. That is to say, you won't get your money back on it.

So the question is, "do you have more money than sense?".

If the bike was adequate before, do you really need the extra bragging rights of having one?

Chicks, from your daughter upwards, just aren't impressed. 70 or 80 mph on a stock engine is just as fast as 70 or 80 mph on a fancy engine.

Strip it, get a quote to re-build it, weigh that up against the price of a 'takeoff' engine some other "sweet angel" with more money than you has swopped out for an S&S.

Spend the money on doing more miles with your loved ones.

Old 09-28-2017 | 12:29 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Wodan
No, the question is "will you enjoy it enough to make it worth the cost", whether that's in miles or smiles...

If you bought a motorcycle as an investment, THAT begs the question "do you have more money than sense".

Old 09-28-2017 | 12:40 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wodan
You won't get the same re-sale value with an S&S. That is to say, you won't get your money back on it.

If the bike was adequate before, do you really need the extra bragging rights of having one?

Chicks, from your daughter upwards, just aren't impressed. 70 or 80 mph on a stock engine is just as fast as 70 or 80 mph on a fancy engine.

Strip it, get a quote to re-build it, weigh that up against the price of a 'takeoff' engine some other "sweet angel" with more money than you has swopped out for an S&S.

Spend the money on doing more miles with your loved ones.
Well you have obviously never ridden a bike with this motor in it, it's not about bragging rights.

More money than sense? I tell you what that is, spending a couple 1,000 on a one week vacation. I get to enjoy the money I spent every day I ride the bike into work and this thing will last for years.

Chicks? Too old for that $hit. Sure the weak 78hp stocker will get you to 70 eventually but not much after that.

Let me put it this way, its comparable to some people that are happy with 4 cylinders in their cars, and some people want a V-8.

Quick Reply: Engine Blown -- Now What?