Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What next?
Rebuild the motor
53.65%
Replace with S&S
27.90%
Replace with used Harley motor
16.31%
Sell bike in "as is" condition
2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Blown -- Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017 | 10:46 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
That's what my math says too. The advantages I am seeing to the S&S are that it is a job I think I can tackle, I can have confidence that the parts are all designed to work together, it will be done sooner, and the engine will have a warranty for a couple of years.

The advantages of a custom build are that I can build exactly what I want (which really comes down to what the guys at the shop recommend because I don't know enough about engine components to believe that I will put together something better than what S&S is building) and the perceived value of having matching VINs.

Beyond those things it seems to come down to personal preference between a custom built motor and an S&S.
One thing most tend to forget is what is the shape of the rest of the bike? All those little things that we just live with. Those cost can add up fast once the new engine is in place. If everything is in good shape, great but if not you maybe adding a bunch more money into it due to the new engine. As for what engine its up to you what you want versus what you need. The cost of a T124 doesn't stop at the engine as your going to need a better exhaust than stock, larger throttle body, bigger injectors to feed the 124 a better Air Cleaner than stock, a better clutch than stock and possibly transmission work depending on the shape its in now. So look at the bigger picture first so there is no surprises once you make up your mind.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (10-03-2017)
Old 09-21-2017 | 11:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

For those in need of a little extra, S&S also make a 143" - jus' a thought.....

Old 09-21-2017 | 12:51 PM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I recently had my 08 RKC rebuilt by an indy but it was still running. The lifters were failing, the crank was way out of round and it had 112,000 miles on it and I had the money in the bank. The Indy was awesome. Went from a 96 to a 103. He trued the crank and did the Timken bearing upgrade. New pistons, mild head work, cams, new clutch, dyno tune, lifters, primary tensioner, reworked the compensator and many other tweaks. Even a new rear tire and windshield. I paid him in green cash and it came out to only $4,500.
Sounds like you got a great deal. It's interesting to me that you were able to stop at a 103 once you opened up the case to do the work on the crank. You have a lot more restraint than I would've had.

Old 09-21-2017 | 12:53 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by QNman
Wow! Really??

Can I change my vote??

Yeah, I'd do that if the cost were even close.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but yes really. I had a 107 build that tanked on me. The option was a total 107" rebuild (new crank, pistons, cyclinders, etc...) for about $1000 cheaper than the S&S 124". Now I already had an exhaust and clutch that could work with the 124" so as Steve points out below there could be additional costs.

Yes, that's how I understood your comment.

As a follow up -- have you ever regretted going with the LC version of the 124 instead of the higher compression version? What do you see as the advantages of the LC version? Thanks.
Originally Posted by grbrown
I'll leap in here, if I may! I've had my S&S 107" (succeeded by the 111" now), since 2008, when I just so wanted a 124". The LC version wasn't available at that time and my indy pursuaded me against the stock high CR 124", as simply not being suitable for a touring bike. From what I've seen in more recent times the LC is giving numbers close to the high CR version of a few years ago, so for a crate engine I suspect it is not only pretty beefy, but tame enough for use in a touring bike. It uses the 585 cam I have in my 107", which I really like, giving a wide smooth torque curve, so if the LC rides in a similar way, with a big boost in torque, it should be quite something! Now let's see how Bowhunter finds his.
Grbrown had hit some of things the LC gives you, basically an excellent touring platform. I was more interested in what it gave me riding 2-up, in the mountains, on the freeway and being the most reliable. I chose the LC for that reason. It just seems very well suited as for a touring bike and how I use it. I haven't rode a touring bike with the high compression 124 so I can't compare it, but I love the torque curve on this 124LC. It does run of steam on the high end compared the the std 124" according to the sheets, but in comparison to what I came from, my 107 build, there is no comparison.

I also figured the lower compression would mean somewhat longer life but I know that is debatable. I just don't ride up in the 5k and above range that much to see the difference.

So no, no regrets and in fact I am close to 5K miles on it now since doing this and I am more happy now than when I first picked it up. I believe now that I have broke it in this thing runs even better.

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
One thing most tend to forget is what is the shape of the rest of the bike? All those little things that we just live with. Those cost can add up fast once the new engine is in place. If everything is in good shape, great but if not you maybe adding a bunch more money into it due to the new engine. As for what engine its up to you what you want versus what you need. The cost of a T124 doesn't stop at the engine as your going to need a better exhaust than stock, larger throttle body, bigger injectors to feed the 124 a better Air Cleaner than stock, a better clutch than stock and possibly transmission work depending on the shape its in now. So look at the bigger picture first so there is no surprises once you make up your mind.
Spot on, same thinking I went thru when I made my decision. My overall bike was in excellent shape and I had it setup just right. Not only that but like I said above I had the right exhaust and clutch setup already to handle the 124" plus already had a Big Sucker AC. The 58mm TB and bigger injectors was around $700 total if I remember right and he would have to make some clutch improvements. So I agree if going bigger, either rebuild or Crate, you have to account for the extras that come along with that.

Old 09-21-2017 | 01:35 PM
paid4c4
Road Master

The cheapest fix is probably a used engine. Selling the bike as is when it won't start is going to yield a very low price. At least with a used engine it would start and run giving you the option of riding it or selling it for a decent amount and buying something newer if you wanted.
Bill

Old 09-21-2017 | 07:13 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

Sounds like you got a great deal. It's interesting to me that you were able to stop at a 103 once you opened up the case to do the work on the crank. You have a lot more restraint than I would've had.
It was a stock 96 so the 103 with cams was a huge improvement. It's also a bike I use strictly to commute so I wanted good gas mileage and dependability. That's why I made the comment about talking to the indy about what you want and your riding style. I told my indy I wanted a tank that would never give me problems. He told me it he actually had fun building it because he's so used to building stroker motors. He said it was a change of pace to build an engine basically to spec. He said I should never have to split the cases again and in another 100,000 or so he'd just need to freshen the top end and cam chest. It helped the price too that he said he didn't have to change the cam plate. He said it's the first one he's seen that was still well within tolerances.

Old 09-21-2017 | 10:58 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Depends on what you wanna spend. You go too big on a bike that age (even if not that old), you'll find the next weakest link.

I'd probably rebuild it and go 117". A nice, dumb 117" with 10.0 compression if it was torn apart.

Last edited by rhuff; 09-22-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2017 | 05:56 AM
Fla-kruzen
Supporter

I'm with Bowhunter, the first step is to see what is broke. Just maybe its something minor and all this talk is for not.

Old 09-22-2017 | 06:30 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

I didn't get rid of my classic Chevelle when the engine wore out. Or after the next one. Or, the next one...
A lot of this discussion comes down to how much do you really want to keep the vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (11-03-2017)
Old 09-22-2017 | 07:31 AM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
If your Indy was worth a flip when he used a stethoscope he would have stopped you where it was and given you options. But maybe I have higher standards as the guy I rely on is fantastic. I would find another Indy and get my options there. I get asking opinions on a forum after such an experience but answers are short minded. If it were me I would build the snot out of it but I have a second bike so my options are more open.
Good observation. Perhaps I should make clear that I'm not operating in a vacuum here, and

The indy did, in fact, discuss options with me at that time. It was somebody at the indy, in fact, who suggested the advantage of taking it over to the dealer and trade it in because of the improvements in the new M8 engines. I certainly considered that, but I just didn't feel good about it. I also wasn't keen on the expense of a new bike, so that factored into it.

The guy at the indy also told me how awesome he thinks the T111 is and that, if he could afford it, that's probably what he'd put in his bike. We also discussed sending the crank out to Darkhorse Crankworks and the things we could do to build a custom engine if we went that route.

I do plan on keeping the bike a while. I included trading the bike in as one of the options because, on some level, I guess it still is a possibility. But honestly, I'd rather keep my bike.

Some have mentioned the possibility that it only needs a top end rebuild (or something less). I suppose that is possible, but not something I'm likely to pursue. The bike has 75,000 miles on it. I just don't see doing much of anything to it and stopping short of rebuilding the whole thing. Plus -- I'm not above admitting that I see this as a great rationalization for getting the kind of engine dreams are made of.

Quick Reply: Engine Blown -- Now What?