Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What next?
Rebuild the motor
53.65%
Replace with S&S
27.90%
Replace with used Harley motor
16.31%
Sell bike in "as is" condition
2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Blown -- Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017 | 10:47 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
I will tell you if you are not doing the work yourself, rebuilding or getting the Crate S&S will come out very close in price.

I should have noted: Same price if totally rebuilding the stock engine (Crank work, Cylinders, Pistons, head work, bigger bore, etc...).
Wow! Really??

Can I change my vote??

Yeah, I'd do that if the cost were even close.

Old 09-20-2017 | 11:09 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the thread? If you go with an S&S Motor what are the DMV rules in MO? Is the motor titled to the bike and if you change to a non-factory motor does the bike change from a Harley to a custom build?

Old 09-20-2017 | 11:16 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the thread? If you go with an S&S Motor what are the DMV rules in MO? Is the motor titled to the bike and if you change to a non-factory motor does the bike change from a Harley to a custom build?
No - title is per the VIN on the frame.

Old 09-20-2017 | 12:06 PM
crazytown
Road Master

I voted for used 96 (or equivalent), but I would try and re-build if you can. Why not?

From your pic, it looks like you at least made it to the off ramp (Alpine?) near the point. Busy area to have to get off the road at. Glad you made it safely.

Old 09-20-2017 | 12:08 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

I have done multiple engine swaps, rebuilds and as noted earlier it can get expensive. You may wish to check with your local dealer and see what deals can be made with remaining Twin Cam stock. I have seen at both of my local dealers multi thousand dollar reductions on some of their remaining inventory. He may take your bike in trade for it's remaining value? At least worth checking every option?

Old 09-20-2017 | 09:05 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

I recently had my 08 RKC rebuilt by an indy but it was still running. The lifters were failing, the crank was way out of round and it had 112,000 miles on it and I had the money in the bank. The Indy was awesome. Went from a 96 to a 103. He trued the crank and did the Timken bearing upgrade. New pistons, mild head work, cams, new clutch, dyno tune, lifters, primary tensioner, reworked the compensator and many other tweaks. Even a new rear tire and windshield. I paid him in green cash and it came out to only $4,500.

My vote is to rebuild and if your not going to do it yourself, find a good reputable indy and talk to him. I bet he can rebuild it to suit your riding style and needs and you will have a more powerful engine that will last a long time. Offer to pay him green cash, if you can, and I bet he will even give you a nice discount.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-21-2017 | 08:02 AM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
I should have noted: Same price if totally rebuilding the stock engine (Crank work, Cylinders, Pistons, head work, bigger bore, etc...).

Now that I have 5K miles on the 124, I would never go back to something smaller.
Yes, that's how I understood your comment.

As a follow up -- have you ever regretted going with the LC version of the 124 instead of the higher compression version? What do you see as the advantages of the LC version? Thanks.

Old 09-21-2017 | 08:07 AM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by crazytown
From your pic, it looks like you at least made it to the off ramp (Alpine?) near the point. Busy area to have to get off the road at. Glad you made it safely.
Almost. That is where the pic was taken -- Exit 284. The bike came to rest about a quarter mile before that -- directly across from the Nuvi building. I was just about to merge from the HOV lane I was traveling in to the right line so I could take that exit. It was just a little hairy -- before 9:00 a.m. I feel very fortunate to have had space and courteous drivers that let me move over at a coast.

Old 09-21-2017 | 08:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
As a follow up -- have you ever regretted going with the LC version of the 124 instead of the higher compression version? What do you see as the advantages of the LC version? Thanks.
I'll leap in here, if I may! I've had my S&S 107" (succeeded by the 111" now), since 2008, when I just so wanted a 124". The LC version wasn't available at that time and my indy pursuaded me against the stock high CR 124", as simply not being suitable for a touring bike. From what I've seen in more recent times the LC is giving numbers close to the high CR version of a few years ago, so for a crate engine I suspect it is not only pretty beefy, but tame enough for use in a touring bike. It uses the 585 cam I have in my 107", which I really like, giving a wide smooth torque curve, so if the LC rides in a similar way, with a big boost in torque, it should be quite something! Now let's see how Bowhunter finds his.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-21-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2017 | 10:25 AM
pdbuzz
Club Member

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch

pdbuzz -- I'm just a few short miles south of you, so if you're looking for a fall project to warm you up for your winter projects . . . come on down!
Haha! I do have one in the 'on-deck circle'; upgrading my handlebars, along with the clutch cable swap and changing out the brake calipers! Good luck with your rebuild. After reading the other comments (stirred up a nest!), I'm still on the 'tear-it-down, re-build it yourself' side. You've already got the time on this rig. Might as well dig into it, get it on the road again and do another 50 CC!

Quick Reply: Engine Blown -- Now What?