Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What next?
Rebuild the motor
53.65%
Replace with S&S
27.90%
Replace with used Harley motor
16.31%
Sell bike in "as is" condition
2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Blown -- Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017 | 01:09 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by QNman
Part the whole bike? Looking at the photos, there's not going to be a lot of engine parts worth much...
Yep .. if its the one on the back of the flatbed.. yeah ... everything else can be sold and maybe some engine parts. the sebring I speak of was a total wreck. took me about a year to cannibalize it. the bike should be much faster.

Old 10-17-2017 | 01:10 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by sumncguy
Yep .. if its the one on the back of the flatbed.. yeah ... everything else can be sold and maybe some engine parts. the sebring I speak of was a total wreck. took me about a year to cannibalize it. the bike should be much faster.
Well I would agree that parting it out would result in more cash, but DAMN that's a pain in the ****... Did that with an old Kaw many years ago. Paid $300, ended up with $1,700, but it took time and a parking space in the garage for awhile.

Old 10-17-2017 | 04:17 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

You do have another option that I dont see ..

Part it that is if you have a place to keep it and tear it down. Post on craigslist in every major city within 1000 mile radius. Keep parts very reasonable.

I did this with a 96 Sebring convertible. I had one that was basically a clunker that needed work. I bought a wreck for $400 bucks. I took the parts I needed then I hit craigslist, created a free web page and a paypal account. Everyone was laughing at me. EVERYONE. I got the parts I needed to fix up my 96 sebring and stopped counting at $1200 in parts that I sold. This didnt include the money I got for aluminium, brass, copper, battery, radiator, catalytic converter, skeleton etc etc. I kept a log and shut everyone up. Friends, boss, coworkers, and yep, even the ol ball and chain. I kept all of my parts under $50.

He who laughs last !
Yes, you can for sure make a few dollars parting out a wrecked vehicle. Hell, that's exactly what salvage yards do.
Bit you'll never convince me it's worth the effort.
You say you stopped counting at $1200 and it took you a year to complete. Even if your total was $3000 that's only $250/month. How many hours dis you have to devote to the tear down, to putting it on ebay and packing? Then there's the time and expenses for shipping.
I can make more than that if I just work 2 hours overtime per week. Nope, definitely not worth my time to scrap out a car, bike or whatever.

Old 10-17-2017 | 04:57 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer

Part it that is if you have a place to keep it and tear it down. Post on craigslist in every major city within 1000 mile radius. Keep parts very reasonable.

I did this with a 96 Sebring convertible. I had one that was basically a clunker that needed work. I bought a wreck for $400 bucks. I took the parts I needed then I hit craigslist, created a free web page and a paypal account. Everyone was laughing at me. EVERYONE. I got the parts I needed to fix up my 96 sebring and stopped counting at $1200 in parts that I sold. This didnt include the money I got for aluminium, brass, copper, battery, radiator, catalytic converter, skeleton etc etc. I kept a log and shut everyone up. Friends, boss, coworkers, and yep, even the ol ball and chain. I kept all of my parts under $50.

He who laughs last !
I hear you. Went to an auction once for high end clothing store closing down. Wanted to buy a cash register. Saw racks of ladies expensive coats going for 100 per rack (PER RACK). LOL I couldn't help myself even though I know nothing about womens clothes. HAHAAH Wife laughed at me then picked through the coats to find the 3 she wanted. I sold them for $ 50 a coat right off back of my truck and word of mouth. Made about $2000 and that was 25 years ago when a $1000 was good money. He who laughs last I agree. Oh yeah I got the cash register too.

Old 10-17-2017 | 06:54 PM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

Part it . . .
Thanks for thinking outside the box! This is actually an option I have considered, but I decided pretty early on that I want to keep the bike.

Old 10-18-2017 | 12:19 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have an oil cooler, replace that too. No way to clean all that crap out of it. One way to clean the passages in the transmission leading to the pan is a pressure washer, or if you have compressed air you can use a sprayer that plugs into your air hose and has another hose that can draw from a jug of mineral spirits to flush it with. But hot water from a power washer would do good to since it will be aluminum anyway.

Old 10-20-2017 | 05:14 PM
AtticusFinch
|
Road Warrior

I really appreciated everyone's input. You have helped to think through this process and to consider the pros and cons of a lot of different options.

S&S 124LC it is.

Now for the myriad other questions: What exhaust, what tuner, and what oil!

Old 10-20-2017 | 08:08 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Noooooo!!!! Not oillllll!!!!

Old 10-20-2017 | 08:34 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Virgin Olive Oil is the Best!!!!

Old 10-20-2017 | 08:56 PM
arthur6
Advanced

75,000 miles.... I'd get a different bike tomorrow