Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing weeping rocker box gasket, replace umbrella valve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:17 AM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser
Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Fixing weeping rocker box gasket, replace umbrella valve?

I have a '00 RK and 32k I just developed a weeping rocker box gasket on the rear cylinder. I've never removed the rocker cover or box before but doesn't look terribly tough judging from the service manual and what I've seen online here. I'm pretty good with tools, just haven't done this particular job yet. For parts looks like I'd just need the lower gasket and the upper one for the cover and that's about it.

Question: Is it normally a good idea to go ahead and replace the umbrella valve assembly while I'm in there? Meaning the umbrella valve, foam, and gaskets. And if so should I replace the little cover that goes over it all? I don't have any major oil carryover problems or anything, plus I have a breather catch can, but seems seems like a reasonable preventative thing to do.

While I'm at it........is removing the tank for this procedure necessary and/or worthwhile? Seems like it but if there's a way to just move it a bit without disconnecting fuel lines etc I'd be all for it. Normally I like some space to really see what I'm doing but removing the tank looks like a nuisance.

Lastly, I see the all the internal rocker bolts need blue loctite which means I need to degrease the male and female threads so it adheres, and also remove old leftover locktite so it doesn't get into the engine. I know parts cleaner will degrease, but what's a good way to clean those female side threads and get the old locktite fragments out?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Install the newer breather assemblies, they're better than the old ones you have. Drill out the oil return hole in the rocker plate as well. It takes less time to remove the tank and not have anything in the way than it does to try and dick around with it still on and propped up with wood or something. Put two pair of fuel line pliers on the crossover and cut it in between with a rag under it. Replace the line on re-install.

Now all of that said, now would be a great time to have a look at the tensioners and change the inner cam bearings.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 09-18-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Agree with regard to breathers, I believe that they are only eight bux per kit. I would use carb choke cleaner in those threads...don't get it on anything delicate, like your paint. Blow out with compressed air. Definitely remove your tank. Replace both gaskets, front and rear cylinders. You might want to install Rockouts when you're in there, very inexpensive, easy to install, whether or not you have a noise issue, a no-risk dealio.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:27 PM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Do the breathers, they are cheap. Get the Harley gaslets, I used some Cometic gaskets twice and they leaked both times. I didn't remove the tank, but it is tight. This last time I used the Harley gaskets, installed Rockouts, and drilled out the oil return holes. So far, so good.

The biggest pain is the rear left bolts on the rear cylinder. The frame is really close. Pulling the front motor mount and dropping the motor a little can give some clearance.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:53 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Put two pair of fuel line pliers on the crossover and cut it in between with a rag under it. Replace the line on re-install.
Just curious, if you have to drain the tank when you remove the high and low pressure fuel lines then why clamp and cut the crossover line rather than just remove it and nothing should drain out. Then reinstall the original line with regular hose clamps? Am I missing something?

Old 09-18-2017, 05:29 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Just last month, we were on a trip in NC and my cousin's '99 EVO Springer started to leak oil out of the rocker boxes.
Common problem for the EVO's (as are intake seals) and was smearing oil on everything.

Total parts and labor was $300, but keep in mind that was in NC.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by MorecowbellAz
Just curious, if you have to drain the tank when you remove the high and low pressure fuel lines then why clamp and cut the crossover line rather than just remove it and nothing should drain out. Then reinstall the original line with regular hose clamps? Am I missing something?
You won't get all the fuel out; cutting the line means you don't have to drain the tank. Besides that, with the crossover right above the front rocker cover that gets hot and the hose you're trying to save is 18 model years old; why wouldn't you cut and replace it?

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 09-19-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

good practice removing the tank, ive got it down to 4&1/2 minutes.

quick dis connect on the cross over pays for itself imo

if you have the new umbrella ect , id wait inspect clean and maybe replace ,just me.

i liked drilling out breathers holes not sure why

Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser

I have a little bit of mission creep going on but that's ok, that's normally how it ends up for me. I was originally going to just replace the leaky rocker gasket and done. I'm decided I'd also do the umbrella valves so that means I may as well do them on both cylinders. Since I'm in both cylinders now I think I'll go ahead and try those Rockout bushings, seems cheap and easy so why not. And since I'm in there I may as well drill the oil return holes to 1/8" for good measure. I'll set aside plenty of time since it's my first time though this job but sounds like I can bang it out in an afternoon even it I take my time. I'm usually a slow worker because I'm pretty meticulous when I work.

I've been thinking about this cam chain tensioners for awhile now, that'll be coming up fairly shortly but not part of this project.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by MorecowbellAz
I've been thinking about this cam chain tensioners for awhile now, that'll be coming up fairly shortly but not part of this project.
You might as well make it part of this project. If they're bad and need replacing, and with 32k on them I bet they do, you'll be pulling the tank, rocker boxes and rocker assemblies all over again to replace them.

Quick Reply: Fixing weeping rocker box gasket, replace umbrella valve?