Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing weeping rocker box gasket, replace umbrella valve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:12 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser
Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
You might as well make it part of this project. If they're bad and need replacing, and with 32k on them I bet they do, you'll be pulling the tank, rocker boxes and rocker assemblies all over again to replace them.
Oh ok, I didn't realize you had to pull all that rocker assembly out to do the cam tensioner work, I thought it was all lower end stuff. Obviously I haven't looked closely at it yet, just perused a few videos awhile back. As well all know the service manual doesn't even recognize it was a wear item so that which is a bummer.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by MorecowbellAz
Oh ok, I didn't realize you had to pull all that rocker assembly out to do the cam tensioner work, I thought it was all lower end stuff. Obviously I haven't looked closely at it yet, just perused a few videos awhile back. As well all know the service manual doesn't even recognize it was a wear item so that which is a bummer.
The only way to keep it only lower end work would be to cut the pushrods and replace with adjustables. But being that you're going to have the top opened up, it only makes sense to address that too at this time. You'll be pulling the rocker assemblies to install the Rockouts. At that point the pushrods come out the top.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
The only way to keep it only lower end work would be to cut the pushrods and replace with adjustables. But being that you're going to have the top opened up, it only makes sense to address that too at this time. You'll be pulling the rocker assemblies to install the Rockouts. At that point the pushrods come out the top.
This dude knows what he's talking about. To do all that on a TC88 and not look at the tensioners at 30K miles isn't a good idea.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:33 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Make sure you check that the rocker box covers are not warped either. If you don't you may put it all back together just to see them weep again. Place them on a piece of flat glass and check for wobble.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser

I agree it makes sense to take a look at the cam tensioners at the same time, 32k on the bike and I do plan on doing some longer trips where I'd like to not get stranded. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and they're not too bad but I'm guessing more than likely there will be enough wear that I should go ahead and change them out while I'm there. In that case I'll just have to pause on the job and order the rest of the parts and tools I'll need.

Do that inner cam bearing really need to be replace at this point? Seems like not a lot of miles to be trashing bearings like that. It's not the cost that has me wondering, it's the cam and bearing removal process which seems like a process unto itself.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser

Sorry for another question while I learn my way through this.........if you remove the cam plate but leave the oil pump attached to it, do you still need to realign the oil pump when you reinstall the plate? Sorry if it's a bonehead question.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:24 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by MorecowbellAz
Sorry for another question while I learn my way through this.........if you remove the cam plate but leave the oil pump attached to it, do you still need to realign the oil pump when you reinstall the plate? Sorry if it's a bonehead question.
All you have to do to realign the pump is install the cam chest back in with the bolts threaded in place. With the trans in gear rotate the rear wheel (make sure sparkplugs are out of the heads) and the pump will align itself. Then you can tighten the bolts on down.
And yes, I'd upgrade to the Timken bearings while I was in there.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

You'd be hating life if those OE bearings let go up the road...go the extra mile and replace 'em! And we're it me, I'd do the same with the lifters...

Old 09-20-2017, 08:46 PM
cc_Penguin
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

MorecowbellAz (Love the name), I'm glad you're asking all these questions as I'm looking to do the same in the near future on my 01 Road King, I was curious about the Oil pump as well.
Don't ya just love trying to go with a simple project that ends up with tons of "While you're in there ya may as well..."

I did a cam tensioner check just a bit ago they were worn a bit. I think they'll be ok for another 10k miles or so, however they'll be taken care of this winter. I'm at 28k miles.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser

If I get into cam and bearing removal that may be the point at which I just take the whole plate to a shop and tell them to do it. That kind of defeats my whole DIY thing which I generally prefer but I don't have a press of any kind. I've removed wheel bearings and tapped them back in by hand but that makes me nervous for the cam and bearings. I'll have to see what it costs for a shop to do it and think about my options.

Quick Reply: Fixing weeping rocker box gasket, replace umbrella valve?