Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated with warranty feedback on my 07...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:04 PM
cubcake1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Frustrated with warranty feedback on my 07...

ORIGINAL: Rininhoj

Cubcake,
I just gotta say that is one FAT lookin ride. Me likes very much.
Rini
Thanks! I agree it is fat as a muh.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

So what happens if youneed to take the bike to a different dealer, are you going to have a problem? I had the SE A/C and SE II's and bought the SERT before I ever left the dealer the day I bought my bike and was told (whatever that's worth) that everything would be warranted for 2 years just like my bike. I never buy any high dealer profit items like extended warranties or tire and wheel warrantiesof any kind or prepaid service which are nothing but big money makers for the dealer. I would rather take all the money all those things would have cost that they try to jam down your throat and use itfor any repairs or serviceI might need at the Stealer and in most cases you will come out ahead. JMHO

By the way, I just looked at my SERT box, SE A/Ccarton and SE IIcarton and all it says about warranties is that it may reduce or void the factory warranty, not that itWILL VOID it. They would have a hard time voiding the warranty especially if the stealer installed it all like they did on my bike.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your dealer can tell you as he may but the MoCo has the final say and your dealer Will do as told.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 AM
RainMaker
Cruiser

I bought a new bike and wanted to make sure the coverage was going to be there ... i did buy the extended 5 year.. if the heat issues turned for the worse. Needless to say, after speaking with the company reps and hearing it first hand, i need to cancel the extended... its pretty useless.

I dropped the bike off today and spoke with the service manager and am just glad i purchased the perferred customer. He assured me that they would cover everything thru that program, no matter if HD did or not.

Yes, the part needs to be a contributing factor, not the sole cause. So when you change the pipes, you change the air/flow requirements and back pressure. In essence, you have "contributed" to the failure if it is in the engine (or at least one could argue and delay you from getting repairs). Of course, every other item is covered as usual...its the motor/tranny i worry about...

I guess what i am just say is be very aware that you are "impacting" (very important word... impacting...) your warranty when you do any mods. Just make sure you have a good working relationship with your dealer... they seem to be the place to work thru the warranty nightmare.

I did specifically ask the MC how the dealers could tell consumers it didnt, when it actually does. He said they were indepedant owners and could run their bussiness model how they saw fit. He did say that in the order catelogs, there is a symbol next to each item that "impacts" warranty. I have never noticed it myself. It is up to the consumer to be educated.... not just take someones word for it.

And yes... that is why I am posting my experience... so others wont be follish enough to call up and ask...lol I just didnt think I was at risk after all the hype from here and the dealer at purchase.

I just think back on the perferred customer thread we had some months ago and chuckle at the na sayers in the bunch... see... it isnt just for a prime service position....

Old 06-14-2007, 01:11 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

one reasonto keep the mucho max warrenty is in forthought of if and when youtrade or sell. This is a point not discussed alot on forum? knowing next owner will be covered for ..so many year(s)and not knocking on your door.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Your dealer can tell you as he may but the MoCo has the final say and your dealer Will do as told.
The dealer will do whatever they want. The only thing the MoCo has the final say about is whether or not they will reimburse the dealer for parts and labor on a warranty claim. If the dealer chooses to fix it on their dime then so be it.

If the dealer says it's covered, no questions asked, then I would get it in writing.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:08 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

RainMaker,

I still don't understand what prompted the call to MoCo? I don't think the fact that you have a Preferred Customer contract has anything to do with your dealer telling you that warranty issues will be covered. They are telling you that because they know that MoCo will reimburse them. I have never heard about any warranty issue not being covered. It just doesn't happen. Harley knows how much money people spend with them on aftermarket upgrades and they don't want to take that away from their dealers. Of course they have to give you the company line but show me one example of a warranty issue being refused. I think these kinds of phone calls and conversations with dealership employes can do no good. Just be happy that the EPA hasn't gotten their way yet. They want cops to be able to write repair order tickets for emission related changes that we have done. Let's quit poking sticks into hornet's nests!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced

ORIGINAL: cubcake1

I though HD had to prove whatever mod you made actually caused the problem for warranty not to be covered.
Close. There's one problem folks miss regularly. This is technically accurate. Of course, if your modifications render the vehicle illegal for street use (which, friends, is EXACTLY what we do when we mod the bikes), then they absolutlely can void your warranty. What this means is that, in effect, you've switched the burden of proof from Harley to you.

It's a tough situation. If you've got a good relationship with a dealer, they'll likely work with you. I have seen a guy put almost $6000 in all Harley parts engine mods on a bike that blew three years later (badly). The dealer worked with him. So, he ONLY had to pay $3000 to fix it. Hardly a bargain.

The days where major warranty repairs are done with lawyers in the room are on the way, my friends.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything I read here is "technically and Politically" correct. Each of the represenatives from the dealer and MOCO stated how yourcoverage will be accepted. The independant dealer stated that if there is a problem it will be covered. Iffailures occur with your bike the dealer and MOCO must priovide sufficient evidence that the mod's insatlled caused the occurance. If they cannot, the MOCO will fix. If you have drivetrain failures ie. Gasket leaks, etc. the MOCO does not ask if any mods have been installed. Extended asks, however your bike is in "stock configuration" to them. The MOCO has to make that statement to assure owner's that they are not responsible for everything youpurchase. There are law's in place to protect you and the manufacture.
The worst thing you have done is called the MOCO and ponied up all your secrets, they didn't really care about. I know now if you call the MOCO or your dealer does, they will have on record that it is EFI tuned. Leave the Customer Service number there until you absolutely have no option.