Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Colorado Rockies in the Summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:13 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Touring Colorado Rockies in the Summer

What kind of gear do you need in the Rockies in August. I'm thinking leather jacket, chaps, thermal underware, balaclava, half helmet with shield, rain gear, water proof gloves. What else should I get beforehand?

Old 06-12-2007, 05:19 PM
otcauctions
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Touring Colorado Rockies in the Summer

I live here in Colorado, (Loveland, near Fort Collins), and in the summer, you can expect to have warm weather, but almost daily thundershowers. Fantastic riding would be an understatement. Keep rain gear handy some warm gear if the mountains get chilly, but enjoy the beauty that is colorado!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM
ozy
Advanced

Be ready for all 4 seasons in the mountains. The weather changes alot as you climb a few thousand feet. Mornings on the high passes can be downright cold even in August.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

lots of us are goin in a week an a half....i'm thinkin bout leavin the leathers here....takin the rain gear along with the gloves and balaclava and 3/4 helmets...that raingear is some warm stuff and we can save 50lbs of load without the leather

Old 06-12-2007, 05:21 PM
M2hunter
Cruiser

Anything that you think will keep you warm and dry. Very unlikely it will snow butthe temp will do a serious drop from day to night but not always. I guess what I am trying to say is that the weather in the rockies is unpredictable to say the least. That being said, August is a very good time of the year for some really nice weather. I think you pretty much covered what you need to stay dry and warm. And maybe bring a couple pair of boots or something to slip over your boots to keep them dry.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 PM
M2hunter
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

lots of us are goin in a week an a half....i'm thinkin bout leavin the leathers here....takin the rain gear along with the gloves and balaclava and 3/4 helmets...that raingear is some warm stuff and we can save 50lbs of load without the leather
I would take the jacket for sure though

Old 06-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Mac11
Road Master

Thanks for the input on weather and what to wear in Colorado - Leaving Louisiana 6th of July heading NorthWest

[IMG]local://upfiles/6239/AADE8BA8E0D144D4BE664AE43AB38AA1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-12-2007, 06:54 PM
otcauctions
Intermediate

The other thing to consider is when you intend to ride. As the sun sets here in Colorado, you can expect the temperature to drop 30 to 40 degrees pretty quick

Dress in layers and bring something to keep you dry is the best advice I guess

Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Gunney8
Cruiser

I have hit rain, sleet, hail and snow (all on same road trip, same day) in the Rockies in JULY!!!, just ride thru it though and you'll be out of it soon. TAKE THE LEATHERS... even when the sun goes behind a cloud the temp can drop quickly and get very cold.... 5 miles down the road you'll be taking them off, lol.... LOVE CO and the Rockies, and hope you will too.... Layers is a good thing....

Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't forget the SUNSCREEN! Seriously, at 9,000+ you'll take a beating from the sun...and the humidity is much lower than in Louisiana so you're skin is gonna' dry and peel off in sheets...bring a strong skin lotion....oh, yeah and don't forget your swim trunks for the hot springs! If you end up in Glenwood Springs, Salida or Pagosa Springs there are some awesome hot springs. And your camera for all the naked people!

Quick Reply: Touring Colorado Rockies in the Summer