Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Colorado Rockies in the Summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: Touring Colorado Rockies in the Summer

Warhawk,

You've pretty much described the first two days of the SW Forums ride starting on June 25th from Bloomfield, NM (Bill and Arleen's house). BTW, that ugly valley in south central Colorado was where I grew up. Not to worry...I was happy to leave.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you camping out or using motels?
Motels then no worry about night time cold temps.
Rockies climate can change in a matter of minutes.
Your basics you described are good.
But if camping, bring a bag good down to 32 degrees. You can always leave it open.
I've seen ice 1/2 thick in august and september when a sudden overnight cold front
passed through.
Good sun screen and bug repellant ( we have west nile virus here even though it's rare).
Also some udder cream or bag balm. I'm serious.
Our climate is dry so you tend to get wind burn more than sunburn.
I'm just north of the colorado line.
where in the
Rockies are you going?

silver city, central city steamboat springs are all good
But just north of Ft. Collins( about 60 miles north Denver)on colorado 14 is Poudre Canyon. 95 miles from Ft. collins to Walden.
some of the best canyon run you will ever get and great scenery. Good eating in Walden.
food price fair but gas is high.
From Walden you can drop down to grand lake and back to denver (go over rocky mountainPark
summit narrow two lane look straight down both sides..... scary in fog) above timberline you're so high; or over to Steam boat springs or North to Wyoming. Lots of open pairie and some good mountain and canyon runs.
You want more info PM me here and I will send my Email address and phone number.
If you want some company on a weekend me and girlfriend would be happy to ride the area with you. Lot of history up in those mountains.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 PM
BOSSMAN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did Colo. last year and spent a week in the rain and snow in the Black Hills about 2 weeks ago. I wouldnt be without a Gerbing heated jacket for Mama. She carrys less clothes with her because she can just turn up the heat when needed. You know how it goes, when Mama aint happy....... The other thing is high quality Under Armor underwear. This stuff is amazing, spendy but amazing. I had some rain leak in around my neck andthe stuff was wet and cool on the outside but my skin was warm and dry. I dont get it, dont understand it but it works. Add the usual leatherand rain gear etc. Have fun.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Warhawk
Tourer

Received 191 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

Warhawk,

You've pretty much described the first two days of the SW Forums ride starting on June 25th from Bloomfield, NM (Bill and Arleen's house). BTW, that ugly valley in south central Colorado was where I grew up. Not to worry...I was happy to leave.
I understand, I grew up in Kansas ... LOL

Old 06-20-2007, 02:14 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We live here (Colorado Springs) and can't trust the weather forecasters. In the mountains/front range you can get caught in hail, besides the usual wet stuff. But, a windshield helps with that. Probably, the most understated, but most needed (as previously mentioned) is good UVA/UVB sunscreen lotion (not liquid type stuff - very dry here), white long sleeves (for hot days but protect from sun), and bandana for neck (that you can soak in water when needed) to keep neck from turning into a turnip.
Try to stay off of I-25 heading south from Denver, or at least do it during day: lots of minor potholes that ruin an enjoyable ride while trying to dodge the mind field and 80mph cars (speed limit is 75mph).
Enjoy the mountains (hwy 67, 115, etc)! It will be some of the most beautiful riding you've ever done!