Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deer alert

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default deer alert

are the gizmos that are avertised to alert deer or whatever any good or is it just another way to make an easy buck? no pun intended..

Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Default RE: deer alert

Just paint you bike camo, buy $100 worth of stuff to attract deer (Scent, feed, bait, etc.) and a $600 bow or gun. Then, spend countless hours scouting the area you want to ride so you know the deer's traffic patterns.
That's what I do when I go hunting and I haven't seen a deer in years. [sm=joke.gif]

Actually, I don't think any device will effectively work. Just learn what problem areas look like and be very attentive. Deer like to walk along edges such as fence rows or tree lines. They do this for protection. They make sure they are safe before they come out into the open. That's whyso many riders/drivers claim "It came out of nowhere!". This is because when they do decide to cross a road, they do it in a hurry. Knowing key areas or terrain where deer are likely to traffic will help.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 PM
fd2430
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic was posted a month or two back. If you haven't already - do a search & start reading. It has alot of feedback.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:04 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Kinda like the magnetic gizmo's to put on yer water pipes to stop scale. Sound good, all kinds of "testimonials" about how they work - but useless.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 PM
huskers11
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Those alerts are probably just another way for people to make a buck, they are always trying to get our doe.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:33 PM
bucs012
Road Master

Will you guys quit talking about deer!?!?!? Ha! You have me freaked out every time I ride now[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Deer = Rats with antlers.

I doubt they could hear the gizmo over the sound of your v-twin.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:50 PM
madmikee
Tourer

They work awesome........I have them on every vehicle I own, EXCEPT the bikes......

I can hear the whistle when I have them on the bikes and it drives me nuts......

Damn....................

Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 PM
bucs012
Road Master

I swear I have read and even seen shows on TV stating they are a complete waste of money. The people that have them still hit deer.

Everyone has their own opinion but I don't see how the deer can possibly hear the sound up and over my Big Radiusexhuast. Stock, maybe.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
steelhead
Road Master

I have them on my Road King. They were on it when I bought it. I haven't hit any dear but who knows. I figure they are unobtrusive and can't hurt so I left them on.

As for hearing over the big twin I think that conceptually it is possible. The dear whistles, like silent dog whistles, work at high frequencies. The sound of a big twin, at least the part we hear and fall in love with produces low frequency waves.

One way to look at it is, sure they may not work but if your bike came with a whistle to repel blondes, redheads and brunettes, would you leave it on even if you were convinced it was junk? [8D]

Quick Reply: deer alert