Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deer alert

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: deer alert

My Dad has them on his car. I asked him one day if they work. "Of course," he said, "I've never hit a deer." Needless to say I'm not convinced.

If it were me, I'd put my $$$ somewhere else and just keep your eyes open for deer, or for that matter, any varmit bigger than you can eat in one sitting! Anything that big will do damage to you and your bike.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 PM
fatboyemt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing to do is stay alert especially where you wouldn't expect to see a deer. I've seen lots of deer coming into and leaving town but the one that almost got me was right in the middle of town.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:54 PM
sbbrown
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Elk country, the best deterant I've found is Hogtunes crankedwide openwith Ozzie Osborne playing, scares the bejesus out of them.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

I had one, the deer I hit broke it off. I think he thought I was callin' him.

Hack

Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM
BGHV65
Cruiser

I bought two when they first came out years ago, I didn't follow the directions and inadvertently mounted them backwards. The next evening when I was driving home, I looked in my rearview mirror to see a herd of deer following me....they work!

[sm=trust_me.gif]complete and utter B/S!![sm=joke.gif]

Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 AM
rick4670
Intermediate

I wish I had installed them on my Streetglide. Hit a deer doing about 50mph in the middle of the afternoon. I ended up with a broken arm and dislocated wrist out of the deal. Everybody tells me I'm lucky to be alive, guess their right. The deer didn't do so well,when I hit it, it went up in the air about 10 ft and landed in the ditch-dead. This happened on 4/21/07 and I'm just now getting to where I can use my wrist again. Haven't tried to ride yet, my bike is supposed to be finished tomorrow. I'm gonna go pick it up and see how the wrist does. I'm ready to get some riding in. Rick

Old 06-13-2007, 12:53 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rick4670

I wish I had installed them on my Streetglide. Hit a deer doing about 50mph in the middle of the afternoon. I ended up with a broken arm and dislocated wrist out of the deal. Everybody tells me I'm lucky to be alive, guess their right. The deer didn't do so well,when I hit it, it went up in the air about 10 ft and landed in the ditch-dead. This happened on 4/21/07 and I'm just now getting to where I can use my wrist again. Haven't tried to ride yet, my bike is supposed to be finished tomorrow. I'm gonna go pick it up and see how the wrist does. I'm ready to get some riding in. Rick
Good luck getting back on. Go for it. After my crash, all the surgeries and loss of a leg, my goal was to ride again. I met that goal. My next goal is to ride to Chicamauga Civil War Battlefield in N Ga. Plan to meet that one too.

Hack

Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

i have an elephant horn that works great. has scared everyone of them off, and the proof is i have never encountered one on the highway.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 AM
grinner
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

I read a tip in another post about deer: follow a car at dusk / night if possible. Use their headlights to see farther into the darkness. Their taillights bounce to show the bumps. Most importantly, if a deer jumps out you have some protection.

I'm going to start doing this...

Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
rick4670
Intermediate

Thanks, I checked on bike today and it looks like they did a good job on the repairs. I will probably pick it up Friday.

Quick Reply: deer alert