Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 07 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
rickywine
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 07 ultra

need some info! bought my 2nd harley 2 wks ago. #1 is a 03 softail standard that I put alot of TLC into, but it was time to upgrade. need some help. new ultra makes alot of heat. been reading the forum and it seems that others have the same issue. whats the answer? will new pipes and a pcIII help. i'll be changing to harley syn3 in a week. why is it so hot? can it be fixed? not crazy about asking the dealer at this point.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Mac11
Road Master
Default RE: new 07 ultra

Not sure I can help here but I did a Stage 1 with just the air cleaner and put B&E Suplerflow mufflers and I'm not getting the heat I have read about.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:54 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Most people have been happy with a stage 1 and going synthetic. Meaning an high-flow Air Cleaner, Pipes, and a PCIII. That seems to make the majority perfectly happy. The heat is caused by a lean running condition. This is needed in order to meet EPA standards for emissions. It would be much easier to control the combustion temperatures and keep the engine cooler by going to a liquid cooled system instead of air cooling. But Harley has decided to continue making the bikes air cooled. It just means that most customers are going to do something to richen up the fuel ratios and thereby reduce the combustion temperature. Richer Air/Fuel ratio equals cooler combustion temperature. Leaner Air/Fuel ratio's equal hotter combustion temperature. A radiator and liquid cooling can get rid of that extra heat much better than air cooling can.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:07 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

synth oil,oil cooler,break in helped--> got rid of the obnoxious heat for the most part but then riding through york pa got to the last light in town on a 85 degree day and started to squirm.

Chapter II.
took off lowers then got the heat mng download from dealer yesterday(dealer said everyone likes?).

Time will tell but at some point sense I dont want to mod exh/air/fuel will just have to deal with it like in the past , they get hot.. So far just to add I am very pleased with bike and pleased with what ive done so far.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
mike280
6th Gear

check out rjsoriginals.com

I just received my heat deflectors and will install them in the next couple of days and report back on the results. I will say, everything I have read about these deflectors and the customer service RJ provides.....is second to none.

The heat issue is the nature of the beast. That said, I believe that HD should have made heat deflectors as a standard item on this engine, as I believe it is a safety hazard and perhaps medical liability issues if someone gets 1st or 2nd degree burns.

I love my '07 and got 47.4 mpg the last tank full --- stock and only 360 miles on it. The only descrepancy is the heat and getting your skin burned.

Semper Fi

mike280@comcast.net

Old 06-12-2007, 04:43 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser

Wait... enjoy your ride this season and look to see what changes they make in 08. Unless you hate the thought of water cooled HD... then buy now.

If I had to do it all over, I would have waited to see what changes are made to correct the heat (even if water cooled, just means I can mod more and get more hp out of the beast). One thing to remember is most are new owners (new 07bike, not to riding) and the temps outside are just starting to reach upward to really see a difference. Heat is the worst in any kind of stop and go on days hotter than 85. I had thought about taking off my lowers but **** that... that would be like buying a vette and being expected to pull the hood off to keep the engine cooled....

As stated ... prob too much, i have spent the 1200+ bucks to correct and still not enough. Next is the TDs and the heat shield, just another 300 bucks...ug.. even that seems more like a mask than a true fix.

I still need to get with HD and see the impact to my warranty for bypassing the EPA regulations...this year we might be able to get by but you can bet 08 is a new ballgame and they will expect the regulations to be enforced each time you take it in for inspection...

Old 06-12-2007, 05:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: rickywine

need some info! bought my 2nd harley 2 wks ago. #1 is a 03 softail standard that I put alot of TLC into, but it was time to upgrade. need some help. new ultra makes alot of heat. been reading the forum and it seems that others have the same issue. whats the answer? will new pipes and a pcIII help. i'll be changing to harley syn3 in a week. why is it so hot? can it be fixed? not crazy about asking the dealer at this point.
If you plan on getting a PCIII or other EFI mod (SERT, T'Max, etc.) you should be covered. Also change the AC to an open type (K&N, Ness, SE) when you change the pipes. Some vendors like Fuel Moto are well-equipped to sell you a package and provide a map based on a previous dyno tune of an identical bike. The canned map I'm using on my bike has produced excellent performance, and mileage is good since I leaned the take-off and cruise ranges. With summer heat with us now, I've enrichened these ranges a tad to cool it down. I hit 230° last Sunday in five miles of heavy traffic and 93° temps, which is what prompted my changes. Although 3° cooler, I tested it and temps stayed <210°.

This bike doesn't emit much more heat on my legs than my old Evo RK did, which almost never ran oil temps >180°. So you shouldn't be worried about your ability to control heat once you buy the bike. Get the "parade download" before taking delievery, and make your EFI mods shortly after that. After break-in (1000 miles should do it), change over to synthetic oil, which will help in the cooling effort. I also have an oil cooler, which I think is necessary on all TC's, especially the 96" engine.

If you plan on making incremental changes to the engine over time (BB kit, higher compression, and/or cam), you might want to consider the T'Max Auto Tune, which looks like an excellent package if you can afford the $700 price tag. It is a wide-band closed-loop replacement for the HD EFI module, unlike the PCIII which eliminates the narrow-band closed-loop function of the stock EFI and simply modifies the EFI's instructions. If you want to simply add AC slip-ons with no plans for major mods later, the PCIII is a good choice whether or not you buy from an outfit that can provide a canned map for that setup. Some claim a dyno tune is best, but I think not unless you want to extract every decimal of HP and TQ from the engine, not necessary for the type of riding most of us do.

With all the pros and cons of SERT and T'Max, I still think the PCIII is high on the bang-for-the-buck scale if you get it as a package like described above. Some have had hestiation problems with the PCIII, but I don't think this represents a majority. The "delayed start" syndrome is something I would never have noticed had I not read about it here. To avoid it, don't wait for for check-engine light to go out before starting, but instead start it up immediately after turning the igntion on. Even with the slight delay, it is no harder starting than my old carbed RK.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

Have an 07 Ultra. Installed Rinehart True Duals and an oil cooler. No problem with heat. Oil temp nevers gets over 200

Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 PM
rickywine
1st Gear

duals and oil cooler did all that. you didn't change mixture, map or install a commander?

Old 06-15-2007, 03:03 PM
rickywine
1st Gear

Any 07 ultra owners have any issues with 5th gear. noise, vibration? everything thing runs fine 1 thru 4 is great. bike hits 5th and it sounds different than the rest.