Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTP License Plate relocation

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:43 PM
badge502
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 FLHTP License Plate relocation

I bought a 2014 FLHTP in June. It had the large black radio rack on the back that I really wanted to get rid of. Problem was, that if you got rid of the rack, it caused a couple of issues. The rack also held the license plate, so you have to find another place to mount the license plate. The other problem was the license plate light, as the brake light/tail light had a clear lense on top of the tail light lens.

I wanted to move the license plate light UNDER the tail light. So, I thought I'd try to go the cheap route, and got a small bracket that was capable of moving the license plate under the tail light. That worked pretty good, but there was still the license plate light issue.

So I found a tail light lense with the clear window on the bottom... BUT, that didn't supply enough light to light up the LP. SO I tried a couple of those LED license plate lights, but the "stalks" of those lights were too long, and would dig into the fender, so that didn't work.

By this time, I was about to pull the remainer of my hair out. Also, I had ridden to Salt Lake City, and my buddy was riding behind me, and said that the brake light was so weak, he couldn't tell if I was using the brake at all.

That is a bad ol' deal, so I contacted the local HD shop and purchased a BAL-1R. I got a big league brake light now! That thing lights up the world so hopefully I wont get rear ended. BUT, still no functional LP light. So after trying to be frugal, I said to hell with it, and bought the HD part 53702-04a. The Bullet Rear Turn Signal Bar and License Plate Relocation Kit.

I got a few extra parts, but the piece that I really needed was the Bullet Turn Signal Bar with integrated down-lighting for the license plate. Remove the old turn signal bar, replace it with the Bullet Turn Signal Bar with integrated down-lighting for the license plate.and you are golden! You've got your tail light , you've got your LP under your tail light. Looks pretty good too, and uses MoCo parts.

There's a bunch of ways to get this done... I think replacing the original tail /brake light with a Bright *** Light tail light/brake light is a good idea while you're getting your hands dirty. Ill go take some pics now...

Last edited by badge502; 09-03-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:59 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks good. I prefer to keep the stock turns, and my rack (I bolted a passenger backrest to it). So, plate stays where it is. I had a Custom Dynamics tail light, basically the same as the BAL, which I took off my Dyna before selling, the window in it lights up my plate just fine. Pretty sure it used 6 while leds just to illuminate the plate.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:13 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

When I had my PD I bought a LP adapter from softbrake, mounted (bolt on)using the same holes as the signal bar,

https://softbrake.wpengine.com/produ...e-relocator-5/

then got a takeoff from either fleabay or a member, I think it was from a road king, and it worked well, had the lights built in.

Custom dynamics makes some LP frames with LEDs for the plate

Lots of nice dudes over at the retired police bikes forum...

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 09-03-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

All that trouble to light up your plate then you cover it up so we can't see it.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 AM
badge502
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
When I had my PD I bought a LP adapter from softbrake, mounted (bolt on)using the same holes as the signal bar,

https://softbrake.wpengine.com/produ...e-relocator-5/

then got a takeoff from either fleabay or a member, I think it was from a road king, and it worked well, had the lights built in.

Custom dynamics makes some LP frames with LEDs for the plate

Lots of nice dudes over at the retired police bikes forum...
I was using the Softbrake part also...It worked great. I took it off when I bought that kit, as the kit had the factory LP frame. Figured I would use those instead. If I could have located that turn signal bar by itself, I would have kept the softbrake LP frame, and called it done.