Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Tire Cupping and making a lot of noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017 | 06:33 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inc...ane-66620.html

Jack the bike up in the rear.
With a friend at the controls, start the bike and put it in second gear. Just let the bike idle and the tire spin.
Wear some protective gear, face shield, gloves etc.
Put the rasp face up under the tire with one end touching the floor.
Lift the rasp up with the handle to touch the spinning tire and it will begin shaving the high spots of the tire.
Shave off all the cupping until the tire is perfectly smooth again...

Super Easy and literally takes minutes.

Last edited by lp; 09-05-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2017 | 06:34 AM
Hopper.
Advanced

13K on the tire? Cupped? Noisy? Buy a new tire.

Old 09-05-2017 | 06:36 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

You can actually grind it... or shaved if you have the proper equipment...

Old 09-05-2017 | 08:17 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior

My bike did that on the stocker's, i replaced at 22,000, with MC11's, a lot quieter, with 15,000 on these, I think it's the stock tires

Old 09-05-2017 | 09:10 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
My 11 RK did exactly the same. It will howl when rounding curves. It's perfectly safe to run it. I ran mine like that up to 12000 miles, still had 1/3 tread left and installed a new pair of Avon Cobra's. The noise gone and much smoother.
I'm pretty sure any new tire will be much smoother than a motorcycle tire that has 12,000 miles on it. I don't think the tire brand would make any difference.

Old 09-05-2017 | 11:52 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

I just took a handheld rasp-board and shaved the high edge off a little. Took all of 15 minutes....not perfectly quiet but seems to have reduced the noise by about 50% or more. Tire looks good for another 3-4000. I have 13000 on original now.
Redneck approach but haven't found a downside.

Old 09-06-2017 | 10:26 AM
buonbop62
Stage II

I have a 16 Street Glide with 4k miles. It has been in for service four times for a clanking sound from the motor and a vibration at highway speeds. They found a loose rear shock and said the vibration was from tire cupping. I asked what caused it and was told they didn't know. For master techs to say they don't know really took away the faith I had in them. The third time I picked it up they said the clanking was the compensator so they shimmed it. It was still doing it so it went back. When I picked it up the clanking was gone. Loose heat shield. When I was driving home the gear shifter fell off and it still vibrates.
I called Harley Corporate and a was given a case number and told they would replace the tire. The dealer called a couple days later and said nope!
At this point I just want to know what's causing the vibration.

Old 09-06-2017 | 12:39 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lp

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inc...ane-66620.html

Jack the bike up in the rear.
With a friend at the controls, start the bike and put it in second gear. Just let the bike idle and the tire spin.
Wear some protective gear, face shield, gloves etc.
Put the rasp face up under the tire with one end touching the floor.
Lift the rasp up with the handle to touch the spinning tire and it will begin shaving the high spots of the tire.
Shave off all the cupping until the tire is perfectly smooth again...

Super Easy and literally takes minutes.
Not sure if this is sarcasm or legit. I have some cupped rears on my car that I may try this on. I know people used to turn down cupped shoulders on car tires long ago...so maybe?

Old 09-06-2017 | 12:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Probably safe to ride to the closest Harley dealer at 45 and have then replaced and dynamic balance new one. Quality premium name brand and no bead BS. Cut your losses and live long and prosper. (Then is the time to inspect rubber seal on wheel bearings and using a finger to detect smoothness and no play.) but I doubt that is you probably. The wheel was probably not balanced correctly and once cup starts, there is no stopping it. Even balancing it will not help it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-06-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2017 | 02:07 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
Not sure if this is sarcasm or legit. I have some cupped rears on my car that I may try this on. I know people used to turn down cupped shoulders on car tires long ago...so maybe?
Was being serious. It works, only takes a few minutes, and easily smooths the tire out so you can run that last 4-5K of tread on the tire noise free.
I've done over 10 tires this way. Mostly guys I ride with. I always get thanked. People can't believe what a difference it makes - in so little time, with so little effort.

The following users liked this post:
Almostinvincible119 (09-06-2017)

Quick Reply: Rear Tire Cupping and making a lot of noise