Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak sounding exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:45 PM
XLVII
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak sounding exhaust

I have A 2014 street Glide special. Came with rinehart slip ons. I thought it sounded weak. I purchased Vance and Hines slips on (I have a sportster too with VH slip ons and the bike sounds amazing) I took off rineharts and put on VH. Still thought it sounded weak. I have stock head pipes. I had the cat removed. Tested both sets of slip ons. Still not the satisfying rumble I'm looking for. I tried both sets of slip ons with the baffles removed. Sounds good but there's a hollow-like drone sound. What else can I do to get that signature Harley rumble? Sometimes it's so quiet I feel like I'm on a scooter. I'm not trying to spend a lot of money. Can I make it work with what I have?

Old 09-03-2017, 06:50 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What V&H slip ons do you have? I have the twin slash rounds with gutted head pipe and they sound GREAT. I put in cams and they sound even better.I talked to a V&H rep at a bike show and he said the twin slash rounds were their loudest slip on. You may need to change the head pipe to get the sound you are looking for. The loudest pipes I have had on a touring was a set of V&H Big Shot duals. I had them on for 1 hour and pulled them off because they were so loud (and I love loud bikes). I think you might like V&H Dresser Dual head pipes with twin slash slip ons. I had them and it was still a tad loud but sounded great. Also....leave the baffles in. I have proven MANY times on the dyno that you lose power without the back pressure. It's not worth it to me and I think touring bikes sound like sh*t without baffles. <<<<<I have tried it

Last edited by brihvac; 09-03-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

I like my stock debaffled pipes. Try that if you still have them.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:20 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
What V&H slip ons do you have? I have the twin slash rounds with gutted head pipe and they sound GREAT. I put in cams and they sound even better.I talked to a V&H rep at a bike show and he said the twin slash rounds were their loudest slip on. You may need to change the head pipe to get the sound you are looking for. The loudest pipes I have had on a touring was a set of V&H Big Shot duals. I had them on for 1 hour and pulled them off because they were so loud (and I love loud bikes). I think you might like V&H Dresser Dual head pipes with twin slash slip ons. I had them and it was still a tad loud but sounded great. Also....leave the baffles in. I have proven MANY times on the dyno that you lose power without the back pressure. It's not worth it to me and I think touring bikes sound like sh*t without baffles. <<<<<I have tried it
Agree, I have V&H true duals with Eliminator 400's and they sound awesome. Now I have them without the baffles, but sound is subjective, so you may hear something different but I think a change in head pipes would help you.

Last edited by pingman68; 09-03-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 AM
flanigans45
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree, true duals! ,on X pipes. The more even the pipe length is easier the tune. I'm running Bassani down under true duals. Just put on this week. with rush mufflers.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

You have the pipes...need to cam it for nicer sound.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you going by the sound while riding or by someone riding your bike and you observing? The touring bikes with the traditional "out the back" exhaust seem much quieter while riding, because the sound is behind ya (IMO.)

Old 09-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

The acceptable exhaust note is a VERY subjective issue to each and every Harley owner. There is NO way that you can get a sense of what a system is gonna sound like over the long run with the easy, lazy method of a sound clip or video on the World Wide Web. Finding just that right sound involves a long, ardous process involving experimentation, mixed with lots of time and money.

For me, I found a sound that's good enough for me and makes me happy. Nobody can really advise you on this too well, OP, although you're gonna get LOTS of advise on it...

Old 09-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 305 Likes on 219 Posts

My buddy and I traded bikes for a bit. Man I shocked at how badass my bike sounds when I was behind it. I have Rineharts large baffle and S&S head pipes. I always thought it was kinda week sounding. Not anymore.......
Also forgot Andrews 37G cams.....

Last edited by Tarkus60; 09-03-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:28 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Spend your money on cams. You will get the sound you want and the added power.

Quick Reply: Weak sounding exhaust