Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pivot Shaft PITA

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:40 AM
roundy
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Pivot Shaft PITA

Afternoon all,

I am trying to do the swing arm bearings in my Dad's '05 Road King, but the pivot shaft is being a pain! The '04 manual says to remove the right side bolt whilst holding the left, but all that happened was the left came off; right side looks a bit mucky. From what I can read I should be able to tap the shaft out from the left side, but it moves about an inch and then gets stuck?! I don't want to just keep beating away in case I damage the shaft - any ideas?

Old 09-01-2017, 10:47 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,076 Posts

As I recall, it will come out or go in either way. Do you have the triangular frame plates out though? The ones that held the swing arm shaft bushings. As I recall, those have to be removed because the shaft will not slide through them.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

I did this on my '89 and my '03, both were a PITA and I used Never Seize on the shaft during reassembly. As stated above the football shaped plates need to be removed which will expose the rubbers. I removed them too which gets you to the swingarm and tranny the pivot shaft is sliding through. WD-40 the cracks between the tranny and swingarm ends and outside the swingarm ends than keep working it back and forth. Dont beat the threads up on the shaft or youll be buying a new shaft. Use a poly or rubber hammer and keep working the lubricant in. IMO it seems to stick in the tranny bore so get the lube in there.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

Also, support the bottom of the tranny as it bounces on the front rubbers as it pivots on the shaft you are trying to remove ie the shaft is your rear engine tranny ASM mount. Take the load off the pivot shaft. Seems to me on my '89 I even rigged a couple straps from the bike to the ceiling just to be sure it didnt fall over while I was beating on the shaft.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:22 PM
roundy
Tourer

Got it all off now, needed to take the plate off just like you guys said.

When people replace the bearings, do they also replace the spacers? Mine seem to be a bit loose on the pivot shaft..?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:33 PM
roundy
Tourer

Has anyone replaced the swing arms bearings without the tools specified in the manual? I don't have them and it would appear at least one of them seats it to a correct depth?

Mechanic friend of mine has said I need to inspect and see if I can see any journal marks, or measure the spigot on the back of the gearbox to ensure I leave enough clearance.