Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax AutoTune installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Thundermax AutoTune installed

I put on the T-Max and the A/C today, been playing with it trying to figure it out. I have an '07 96" with SE A/C and Rinehart True Duals. Used base map 393. Seems to run alright, definately more power when rolling on the throttle, and a smoother idle. I guess I don't really understand how it's supposed to work. It's currently running in "closed loop"mode, is THAT autotune? How do I know if autotune is "on" and if the ECM is seeing my O2 sensors?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thundermax AutoTune installed

Beforeyou write a map to the module, be sure to go to Configurations/Closed Loop Module Settings and select the Closed Loop box at the top right. Then you write the map to the bike, and after cycling the power 3x as noted in the instructions, you close the link, test fire the bike twice, then reconnect the link and select from File/Read Module Maps & Settings. This then loads the map into the software and confirms what map the bike is running. When the software is running and your linked to the bike, the map names from the file, the software and the module are all displayed on the upper and lower task bars. This shows you whatmaps are running where.This is all on the Smart Link Tuning Manual on the disk.

I suggest you open the PDF of the Software CD and read through all 105 pages at least once. This will help you to understand what's going on and how to read, and how to map and tweak the settings. There is also an important section on Monitor Setup which willrun live operating gauges and log your run session of the bike so you can see the AFR settings for the front and rear cylinders as well as head temps, IAC Stops, TPS and more. Read the install section 2 or 3 x and you will quickly become a wizard at it. I can load and confirm a map in no time at all, and can read all settings including history logs, point mapping, etc etc.

These things are way cool, but you do have to read through them and experiment if you want to comes to grips with what it can really do for you.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

You also have to ensure you have connected the smaller grey data bus which is the small Deutsche connector. This is a common mistake where if you overlook the connection, the ECM will not see the 02 sensors. I know cause I missed it at first.

Also make sure you have a charger around for when you are reading writing maps so you don't kill the battery. It's equally important that when you are working on the module, that you pull the headlight fuse or you'll kill the battery for sure. Now go forth and conquer!

lol [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

I did connect the sensors to the data link port, and I guess that's what I'm wondering about the most. How do I KNOW that the ECM is seeing the O2 sensors?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Like I said above, after you write the map to the bike, and after cycling the power 3x as noted in the instructions, you close the link, test fire the bike twice, then reconnect the link and select from File/Read Module Maps & Settings. This then loads the map into the software and confirms what map the bike is running.

This is all explained in simple form on the quick installation book or on the CD. They are section 4 through 10 which takes all of 5 minutes to read and perform. Hope that helps you out?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:59 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

In the software, click Monitoring/Monitor Setup to bring your live gauges up. Then when you connect to the module, you get a green LINK button, then hit the monitor button to display your gauges. This will show whatever gauges you have selected as shown in section 8 of the manual. Once you are connected live with gauges shown, fire the bike and watch the AFR gauges to ensure they are moving. AFR should read in the 12-15 range for both front and rear heads. If you see those types of readings when it's running, you know the autotune module is reading the 02 sensors. If you see all that, and your running the right map, close it all up and go riding cause it's in autotune mode.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:20 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

OK Glide, that's what I wanted to know, thanks. If the AFR readings are moving at idle, it's working. Thanks.

I understood the 3 on/off cycle and loading the map, selecting the guages and all, just wasn't sure how to KNOW that it's working as it should.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, and at idle you should start seeing AFR settings jumping around inthe 13 range. That's when you know it's dialed in as most IAC settings should have the AFR around 13.2 at idle.