Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't decide between Road King and Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:18 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I used to own a Road King Custom and have owned a Street Glide for the past 6-7 years. I miss the Road King and want to go back. Why?

Same reasons as others have stated really. I do not like listening to a radio when I'm on the bike. It ruins it for me and I didn't know that would be the case until I got some time on the SG.

I'm also not a fan of the batwing. I doubt it really adds much weight at all, but psychologically, the bike feels more awkward than the RK with a windshield.

That's my experience anyway.

EDIT - I should also point out that I dont "tour." My opinion is about local riding.

Last edited by SgtThump; 08-31-2017 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
6stringrider (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Ericson38
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

SGs loose one inch suspension travel over FL models to get that seat down low. SG also has smaller section front tire and fender is smaller to match. Being 6'2", the RK Police with the tall clear windshield and a police seat with all the air out (2011 model) has better wind protection than the SG in stock form, including M8 models.

I also like seeing the whole road ahead, and loosing that windshield occasionally is like putting the top down ++.

As far as music goes, my Goldwing had it in spades already, but the Harley talks to you when you ride it, where the GW does not.

Shocker----good running HD 103 FL bike is smoother (less total vibration) on the road at 70 mph than the GW, since the GW has a hard mounted engine and handlebars. You could still feel the GW through the pegs and bars a little (flat 6). The GW at 80 mph was turning 4000 rpm, whereas the 103 runs about 2800 rpm at 80 mph.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,917 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Road king or a Street glide,
That's easy, Road Glide

Old 08-31-2017, 12:18 PM
Duende01
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6stringrider
Yes, I test rode both at a Harley demo event hoping it would tell me everything that I needed to know and my initial impressions were that the SG rode a little harsh over bumps and the Road King Special was the one that spoke to me the most and surprisingly the suspension felt supple...I felt like a newborn kid and it was so much fun but I realized it didn't have the batwing fairing and no stereo and the speedometer was on the tank. I have never ridden a road king classic yet. Maybe that's the next step?

Is there a big difference between the 2014-2016 103 engine vs the new Milwaukee 8's 107? I've only ridden the 107 SG and RKS and the 110/111 Dyna Low Rider S (too much vibration that it numbed my hands lol)
Ride quality, comfort, being able to detach and reattach a winshield sold me on the RK. Besides, clear and crisp music in my ears via bluetooth to me is better than scratchy music for other people.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:44 PM
6stringrider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pumba11
To answer one of your questions. My fairing does not rattle at all and any speed.
awesome! Who makes your fairing?

Old 08-31-2017, 01:47 PM
6stringrider
6th Gear

I'm leaning towards the Road King from gathering everyone's input! I think I'm gonna see what the dealers will do on the 2017 Road King Special considering 2018 models are being released. I'll also consider the Hiawatha headlamp equipped Road King Classic as well. I think I would equip the Road King Special with a batwing fairing aftermarket so I can get the look of the street glide but with full foot boards and I can detach the fairing when I want that clean naked look with wind in my face. And I will look at 2014-16 Road King classics if I can get a good deal for that trademark Harley sound....man decisions decisions! Wish I was rich enough to own several bikes lol

Old 08-31-2017, 01:49 PM
6stringrider
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SgtThump
I used to own a Road King Custom and have owned a Street Glide for the past 6-7 years. I miss the Road King and want to go back. Why?

Same reasons as others have stated really. I do not like listening to a radio when I'm on the bike. It ruins it for me and I didn't know that would be the case until I got some time on the SG.

I'm also not a fan of the batwing. I doubt it really adds much weight at all, but psychologically, the bike feels more awkward than the RK with a windshield.

That's my experience anyway.

EDIT - I should also point out that I dont "tour." My opinion is about local riding.

This is very useful info. But I do think the batwing fairing looks so badace...

Old 08-31-2017, 07:46 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 186 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 6stringrider
awesome! Who makes your fairing?
They mount the same, same brackets on side of forks. Same structurally - Hoppe, Reckless, eBay... and the brackets look interestingly to be the same shape. Very strong probability same chinese manufacturer. Their was one made in USA. Its been a few years since I looked into all this, maybe no longer in existence. Anyway, mine has never moved in 7 years as mentioned early in this thread.

I looked closely at Pluba11 pic. It looks like he used the detach hardware from the stock RK shield.

Last edited by KumaRide; 08-31-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 PM
shineola
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Streetglide I prefer , also seems to be a lot stronger on the resale end

Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 PM
IBAHOG
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have had a king and a ultra and now a RGS my favorite is the m8 RGS with the king next in line ..

Quick Reply: can't decide between Road King and Street Glide