Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't decide between Road King and Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:23 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 191 Posts

Reality check. You can test ride both.
You can rent both for a day or a week/
You can own both for years.

And STILL NOT KNOW.

This is a journey, not a destination.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:36 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 6stringrider
However, I noticed you live in Edmond and that is my hometown! I'll be back in town for Labor Day weekend and was wondering if I could see your road king and any mods you've done to it?
Sure, I haven't done a whole lot yet, but I enjoy showing it. I'll PM my number.

Beary

The following users liked this post:
6stringrider (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,242 Likes on 427 Posts

You've ridden both.. good.
I recently made a similar decision, for me it was a RK or RGS (there was no RKS at the time).
I made a list of what I liked better about each and assigned an importance to each.

RK: Seat Height 6
RK: Price 7

RGS: comes with Linked/ABS: 4
RGS: comes with NAV: 4
RGS: Better wind protection 4
RGS: Radio 1

Ah crap.. I still can't decide.. Get the red one.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:42 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,188 Likes on 21,813 Posts

I'm into tunes so for me it was a no brainer.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:59 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Fairing aside ... For touring two up and the long haul there would be no comparison between the SG and the RK IMO. The RK would be much more comfortable for both you and your passenger. It has more suspension travel, a more comfortable seat (front and rear), passenger foot boards vs. foot pegs on the SG, passing lamps, rear saddle bag protectors (these are essential IMO, don't ask me why) It would also most likely has more of the desired touring options like Cruise Control and Heated grips.
Two of my riding buddies bought 2016 CVO Street Glides and as much as I think they are beautiful bikes with there lowered suspension and low profile tires I just don’t think they were intended for the long haul in stock form. Both ended up spending thousands getting them where they wanted them for touring.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

So do you own a 2017 equipped with the M8? And if so, do you have slip ons or full exhaust upgraded? I'm curious if you got the classic loud Harley exhaust note...
The M8 will NOT produce the"classic Harley sound" It has a sound of it's own. The classifieds have a constant flow of one time use slip ons from M8 owners chasing "the sound"
The only muffler I have heard with a good sound on a 2017 catted M8 is the S&S 4.5's

With regard to the SG or RK, I have owned both, my current RK is my favorite Harley I have ever owned, I have had 5.

Last edited by checkers; 08-31-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,118 Likes on 461 Posts

I had the same question as I was looking to upgrade from a smaller metric cruiser two years ago. I visited several dealers and rode a few bikes. For me the choice was between the Switchback, Heritage Classic, Road King, or a Street Glide. One salesman (who rode a Street Glide himself) really talked up the stereo/gps on the SG. But I prefer to NOT have that stuff on my bike. I enjoy the sound of the pipes and the road and don't want the distraction of a screen on my bike. I like being able to take off the windshield for wind in my face. I added a Klockwerks Flare windshield that knocks the wind off my head and hands on the highway on long road trips. The touring suspension is better than the Dyna or Softail. So for me, it was a pretty easy decision once I had ridden each of the above, the Road King was easily the best bike for me. 18 months later I am still happy with my decision. But, as others have said - the best bike for me might not be the best bike for you. If you need gps and tunes more than the removable windshield, then the Street Glide would be the obvious choice.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:16 AM
danhahn
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

I traded my RK off for a batwing bike and really miss the RK. The batwing offers a little more wind protection, which is particularly good when the weather turns cold, and some people like the tunes, but for me I'll be going back to the Road King.
The King seemed less top heavy to me and made me every time I looked at it.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:55 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,708 Likes on 834 Posts

Your bike looks so sick naked! I just love the black and chrome.... Maybe I'll got test drive a used 2014. How much did you pick yours up for? I see a couple of used ones in my area in the 13,700-13,999 range.
I bought mine new end of 2014, 18K plus plus plus, They gave me 17K (started at 15.5K) on trade in, with free first service and 2K gift card. Was only new King left, no SG, waiting on 2015 bikes. HO 103 has plenty of power for what I need.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:21 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

To answer one of your questions. My fairing does not rattle at all and any speed.

Attached Thumbnails can't decide between Road King and Street Glide-aug-2011.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
6stringrider (08-31-2017)

Quick Reply: can't decide between Road King and Street Glide