Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't decide between Road King and Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:33 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

My preference is also Road King, I cannot say enough good things about it, but if you are just coming off a Triumph Bonneville your next step should be IMHO the Road King, believe its comparable to your previous scoot, and introduces you to the lightest touring "big frame" you can always go up if you feel the need to do so depending on personal preferences.

I say rent one for the weekend, you will be glad you did!

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo (stage II)
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Since you already have a smaller bike for local riding, I suggest a fairing bike for something different. True, you can add a fairing to the RK, but getting a fairing bike in the first place is just a lot easier. If after a year you still feel the need for a more open bike, then trade the Triumph for a used RK.

I've had three fairing bikes (one was a SG) and four Road Kings. Right now my 07 RK is more local ride without out the windshield while my 14 Ultra Limited is my two up and touring ride. They both get rode a lot. Sometimes I feel like a fairing, sometimes I don't.

By the way, replacing the SG shocks with touring shocks easily fixes the SG ride.

Beary

Old 08-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Jamo11
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If your thinking wind protection, in my experience, the Road King with the Klockwerk windscreen is better head protection than the Batwing or Roadglide fairings.

The following users liked this post:
rwtrick (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 03:46 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have both a RK and a SG. One is a built 2010 TC motor and the other is an M8. I also had a 2016 RK with the 103HO with just a stage 1.

If you are mildly thinking of a fairing and radio get the SG. The suspension is an easy fix but I think it's the same on the both models with the king you're looking at being the special.. The cold weather protection is better not just on the hands but up the sleeves as well. The heads up spedo/gauges are more convenient. Navigation can be added to either but the RK lacks the hand controls for both the radio and Nav.

Motor wise there is a notable difference. Torque curve is fairly flat on the M8 and it comes on very early. The 103 is not a balanced motor but is a proven design but not as potent. This becomes noticeable if your 2 up loaded down. I personally like the vibes of the TC motor but to each their own. The other difference is exhaust note. The M8's are quite a bit quieter than the older harley motors. Some guys are struggling with that when they add slip-on's like previous bikes and are shocked at the lack of volume.

That being said I love my Road King. They are nice bikes that don't feel like touring bikes. I like being out in the wind at times with an unobstructed view of what's around me. The bike is appealing to my eyes as well. The choice is a tough one but adding tunes in the form of a fairing is not as clean as people make it sound.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:15 PM
6stringrider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
I had 3 Ultras before I got my Roadking. I was looking for a SG but was tired of the top heavy feel of the batwing bikes. I found this king in 2014. I love it. I like to ride without the windshield most of the time. If I did a lot more traveling long distance I might prefer a batwing. but can always install a batwing fairing if I want tunes or more protection. I can go from bar hopper to cruiser by installing my tourpak, lower fairings, backrest and windshield. and taking them off again.

Your bike looks so sick naked! I just love the black and chrome.... Maybe I'll got test drive a used 2014. How much did you pick yours up for? I see a couple of used ones in my area in the 13,700-13,999 range.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:21 PM
6stringrider
6th Gear

Originally Posted by beary
Since you already have a smaller bike for local riding, I suggest a fairing bike for something different. True, you can add a fairing to the RK, but getting a fairing bike in the first place is just a lot easier. If after a year you still feel the need for a more open bike, then trade the Triumph for a used RK.

I've had three fairing bikes (one was a SG) and four Road Kings. Right now my 07 RK is more local ride without out the windshield while my 14 Ultra Limited is my two up and touring ride. They both get rode a lot. Sometimes I feel like a fairing, sometimes I don't.

By the way, replacing the SG shocks with touring shocks easily fixes the SG ride.

Beary
I doubt I will ever get rid of my Triumph. I absolutely love the personality and sound of that bike and will only upgrade it.

However, I noticed you live in Edmond and that is my hometown! I'll be back in town for Labor Day weekend and was wondering if I could see your road king and any mods you've done to it? Another intimidating thing is selecting the exhaust and there's so many options I've seen from vance and Hines to rinehart and other names in the game.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:22 PM
6stringrider
6th Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by B Bop
My preference is also Road King, I cannot say enough good things about it, but if you are just coming off a Triumph Bonneville your next step should be IMHO the Road King, believe its comparable to your previous scoot, and introduces you to the lightest touring "big frame" you can always go up if you feel the need to do so depending on personal preferences.

I say rent one for the weekend, you will be glad you did!

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo (stage II)
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Where can you rent these bikes at? Do you know approximately how much it costs to rent one and is it mileage limited or can I take it out of state for the weekend and bring it back?

Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 PM
6stringrider
6th Gear

Originally Posted by stixvrad
In technical terms there is a vast difference. From an in the saddle perspective the M8 is also a pretty sizable improvement.I test rode a 16 SG and 17 RK and the motors felt worlds apart. I didn't care for the vibration on the 16 motor. Bu that's subjective and some love the older motor.

So do you own a 2017 equipped with the M8? And if so, do you have slip ons or full exhaust upgraded? I'm curious if you got the classic loud Harley exhaust note...

Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by 6stringrider
Where can you rent these bikes at? Do you know approximately how much it costs to rent one and is it mileage limited or can I take it out of state for the weekend and bring it back?
https://www.eaglerider.com/reservation/motorcycles

Old 08-30-2017, 04:40 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,586 Likes on 1,332 Posts

We see a lot of threads asking this question. I just do not see how anyone's answer could be remotely helpful. They are both fine motorcycles and performance is so similar or can be made the same, that it is aesthetics that make the difference.

The best answers are ride them both, one will seem to embrace you more than the other. Does the question arise because you are afraid of buyers remorse, getting one and soon wishing you had the other. My love of a Road King will be of no help to you then. I have an aftermarket fairing, works great, but I rarely use it anymore.

Beside a radio and speakers, a major plus is listening to tunes is part of your ride is that the gauges are at eye level. That is a nice feature if you need to refer to your gauges often.
Balance that with increased weight at slow speed handling. It is minor, but Road King riders feel their front end is much easier to balance at slow or no speed. When I have my fairing on, after the first 10 minutes I don't even notice the difference.

So that is why you need to ride both and several models of each. One will reach out and say to you, take me home, I'm yours. Well, Louise said that to me and it didn't work out so well, but bikes are more predictable.

Quick Reply: can't decide between Road King and Street Glide