Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Screen peeled- under factory warrany still

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017 | 08:23 PM
Alison Gee-Brown
|
Novice
Default GPS Screen peeled- under factory warrany still

I have 2016 streetglide special, still in factory warranty.
The screen on my GPS has peeled - it was like that after a rain storm when we were travelling.
I took it into my Dealership and at first he said it looked like vandalism?!
I asked about getting it fixed, he took my bike in the back and when he brough it out he had peeled off all the "loose" stuff so I could "still read my screen" and told me he has taken a pic and sent it to Harley. They say its not covered under warranty. Its clearly not anything I have done, its like its separated. Not sure how I dispute the warranty coverage, anybody have any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2017 | 08:42 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

From the factory, there is a protective cover over the screen (just like you put on most cell phone screens).

If that is all that peeled, like water got under a corner.
Just peel it completely off, clean it up and put another protective cover on.
HD sells them, but I am sure you can get something aftermarket cheaper.

If that isn't what peeled off, not sure what to tell you.

Old 08-29-2017 | 09:17 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Yep! Sounds like the screen protector lifted. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 08-30-2017 | 08:26 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

I think the Harley branded screen protector is about $50. It'd be nice if they give you another one for free, even if technically it's not a warranted item. Just put a new one on and be done with it. For that small amount of money it's not worth it to spend much time disputing the warranty denial. But it's your time............

Old 08-30-2017 | 08:54 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

This isn't a warranty issue if indeed it's the protective film. File it under ' when ya ride in rain, sometimes things just happen'.

​​​​​​​Nothing to get all twitterpated about.

Old 08-30-2017 | 11:41 AM
Alison Gee-Brown
|
Novice

Sounds good, Thanks for the feedbacks. initially the service guy told me Id need a whole new infotainment system. Ill peel the rest of the edges off and get a non HD protector. Just wanted other opinions since the same HD dealer (my local one where I bought my bike) had my bike in for 1600km service after 3 weeks of owning from brand new and when I went to get on my bike to take it home I noticed a chip in my tank done by service- right on top so I have 0 trust in what I am told- they gave me a new tank..gonna go for tires but will go to another dealership & will keep hanging out in this forum..lots of info here! Thanks again

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (06-10-2018)
Old 08-30-2017 | 03:13 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

I don't blame you for not trusting them. If the "service" guy doesn't even know that the 6.5GT radio has a protective screen cover on it right from the factory. I'd find another service center.........

The 6.5GT radio warranty info clearly states that the screen protector is a non-warranty item. Additionally, it also states that any damage caused to the screen as a result of the customer removing the screen protector and leaving the radio that way also voids the display warranty.

You can use the Harley version or opt for after market. Considering that Harley gets right at $60 bucks for their $2 part I'd go the aftermarket route.

You can clearly see the screen protector if you look closely at your display. Look in the corners around your display and you'll see the triangles created by where the screen protector ends and the naked display sits behind.

Teufelhunden (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017 | 07:53 PM
Alison Gee-Brown
|
Novice

Thanks for this...Im assuming its the protector although Im not able to see the edges where protector meets display. Service guy picked off the loose stuff so its just a mess right now, all jagged, Ill see if I can get a pic and post it. I dont want to pick at it, but if it rains the display itself if exposed so going in Tuesday to other dealer so will have another "professional" service opinion .

Old 08-31-2017 | 07:49 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Veekness
This isn't a warranty issue if indeed it's the protective film. File it under ' when ya ride in rain, sometimes things just happen'.

​​​​​​​Nothing to get all twitterpated about.
Except Harley wants $55 for this. This has got to be the most expensive item on any Harley parts list for what it is. Cant be more than 2 cents in materials. Talk about no lube!

Old 08-31-2017 | 12:55 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Originally Posted by Alison Gee-Brown
Thanks for this...Im assuming its the protector although Im not able to see the edges where protector meets display. Service guy picked off the loose stuff so its just a mess right now, all jagged, Ill see if I can get a pic and post it. I dont want to pick at it, but if it rains the display itself if exposed so going in Tuesday to other dealer so will have another "professional" service opinion .
I've had a couple of 6.5GT radios in and out of a Street Glide and a Road Glide.

You need to remove the radio to properly remove the old screen protector and install a new one.

As for removal of the old one, you may have to carefully heat up the screen protector with a blow dryer taking care not to overheat the LCD display screen and digitizer behind the screen protector. If need you can use a toothpick with a rounded edge to get one of the corners lifted so that you can start peeling. Never use anything sharp or anything metal. A plastic pick would probably work as well.

After getting the old one off, I'd recommend skipping the Harley replacement altogether and going with this alternative;

http://lexerd.com/epages/9d0561f3-d5...s/17-4s10-5vng

This is an 8" anti-glare screen protector that can be cut down to the exact size for our 6.5" displays. It's less expensive to boot. Check Amazon for availability.

04ctd (06-10-2018)

Quick Reply: GPS Screen peeled- under factory warrany still