Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017 | 12:11 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?

Just Curious how many people buy RoadGlides or any other touring model just too ride around there local area? I see a lot on the roads where I live lately with ape hangers ripping around town and on the back roads.

How do they handle with that fixed fairing? Do they feel Top heavy? Just curious. Ive always been a Softail guy. I did buy a 2014 CVO Road King but could never get used to sitting high and the Top heavy unbalanced feel of the bike. So I traded it in after a year.. Id love to get a bike like the RoadGlide Special and have the convenience of bags and everything else or maybe even the RoadKing Special But just fear it would be Heavy like my 2014 King and not good for just riding around my local area. I don't take big long touring trips.

The following users liked this post:
TTbonnie (02-21-2024)
Old 08-28-2017 | 12:25 PM
JTC3495
Cruiser

I bought my Ultra limited as my daily rider. I have done some longer rides on it, and took it to Sturgis this year.

But it's main purpose is to get me back and forth to work, and around town. These big touring bikes handle really good once you get used to the weight. I also like having all the space available to throw whatever I want in the bike.

DanHappy (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017 | 12:34 PM
dyna rider
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Default New Road Glide

I have a 17 RGS and it handles almost was well as my Dyna. My previous touring bike was a 11 RGU with the tourpak and all that goes with it. When I rode that bike on curvy roads, it felt like I had to throw it into corners and after a day of it, I was tired.
The new RGS handles so much better. It takes almost no effort to make it turn in and recover.
When I was a kid, I loved apes, but as I age I just don't enjoy have my hands over my shoulders. The stock bars work well, for me, so no need to fix them.
The fixed fairing make the bike much less prone to move around due to crosswinds or buffeting on the interstates.
You need to test ride one to experience the "feel" of it.
BTW Getting used to the weight of a touring bike is part of the process and can be intimidating at first.

Old 08-28-2017 | 12:35 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

I use my Street Glide for everything, from running an errand to the local grocery store, to riding only four or five hundred miles. The weight doesn't concern me much, and I find it baffling that anybody would be twitterpated about using any touring bike locally, although you're right, OP...you see a lotta concerns on this forum about that issue. You can either handle the bike or you can't. If you can't, then find something you CAN handle!

I'm more of the mind of JTC3495...for the OP, I think that what you have is the better choice. A Road Glide is even heavier than the Road King...

Old 08-28-2017 | 12:50 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

I got a 16 Road Glide Ultra and put a quick connect/detach kit on it. With the tour pack on I can feel the weight of it, because of its location (up and over the rear). It took a little getting used to because it is over 900 pounds lol but now its great, I won't have anything else, it suits me. I do ride mostly with it off, unless I'm taking a multi day ride or longer two-up ride. Then I'm glad I have it. I like having the flexibility of just saddlebags or a full dresser.
I have an 03 Sportster XL1200C, at like 500 pounds and just got rid of a 12 Heritage Softail Classic that I think was 750 pounds... this RGU handles in the middle of those two, heavier than both, but corners great (cornering at speed was an issue for me on the Heritage), but it isn't a Sportster... which feels like a sports bike when I take it out.
Honestly, I ride the RGU everywhere and don't even notice the weight anymore, unless I'm on the Sportster... which just gets out to run gas and oil thru it.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-28-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2017 | 12:53 PM
1890jd
Cruiser

Not sure I will ever understand putting your hands up into the wind on a touring machine. Plus big apes on a touring bike look corny to me. Maybe I'm just not hip enough.

Old 08-28-2017 | 12:56 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

Weird. My bike is for everyday,everywhere,everything. Get any bike and ride it enough the two of you become one.

Old 08-28-2017 | 12:58 PM
riff raff
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1890jd
Not sure I will ever understand putting your hands up into the wind on a touring machine. Plus big apes on a touring bike look corny to me. Maybe I'm just not hip enough.
I'm with you but not the majority. I think I'm the only rider in my part of the world w/stock bars on a RG. The others always seem to have apes. I don't get it. The stock mild buckhorns put my hands right where I want them.

Old 08-28-2017 | 01:02 PM
RandyL
Road Captain

I have a 2016 SGS that I ride everywhere.

Old 08-28-2017 | 01:21 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

When I was looking for a Limited last Spring, I searched Craigs for 2014 and newer. I would say that 8 out of 10 Ultra Limiteds and Road Glides had less than 8,000 miles. While most big bike owners likely plan to use their bike for travel, they get a lot of local riding.

The best way to get comfortable with the weight is spend some time doing tight circles, figure eights and u-turns as slow as you can. After a couple of hours of those, you won't notice the weight except when you pick the bike up off the stand.

You will have to learn how to plan your parking spot. They are too heavy to back up any kind of incline.

Beary

Sparkybob477 (08-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?