Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017 | 01:42 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by oakmossy
touring bikes are not for local quick trip. Just the way it is. Get a dyna
Originally Posted by Zakk13
Really looking hard at either the New Road King Special Or the new 2018 Fatboy. The Road Glide definitely intrigues me but for the short local riding I do I thing it would be too much. I actually love the way the Road Glide Special looks especially with a set of black apes. And it would be nice to have a stereo system to tinker with and listen too. I use to love messing with stereos and systems with subwoofers in my cars and I would love to with a bike as well. I think the Road Glide would be great for that. I just think for my driveway setup and deep gravel that builds up by my Garage it would be a hard bike to maneuver there!
Well, as the proud owner of a 2016 RGS who takes his bike to work (3 miles each way) most days, I'd have to disagree. I can carry all my work **** to and from (laptop, etc.), and even listen to the radio while sitting at a traffic light.

YMMV.

Old 08-30-2017 | 03:06 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Previous bikes I've been on;

'10 Fat Bob
'11 Super Glide
'11 Wide Glide
'06 Sporty Low (still in the garage - Mrs. rides it now)
'15 Road Glide (current ride)

Of all the bikes I've owned the RG is my favorite. It could be because I'm getting older in the saddle now, but there are a lot of other reasons that I love my RG. It handles as well and rides better than any other bike we've had. I have found it perfectly suited for bar hopping around town, running errands and weekend to week long road trips.

Just jump on one and ride it. The Rushmore glides are about the most neutral feeling motorcycle I've ever been on. In fact, when I'm on mine I forget that I'm throwing a 900+ lb touring bike through the twisties or lugging it around town. The only time it feels heavy is if it's laying over on its side

The creature comforts will spoil you. Bags for carrying groceries, gear, supplies, clothing or your favorite beverage. Tunes............. Never knew how much I'd appreciate having something to listen to on a long ride until the Glide. I rode three Harley "touring" bikes before putting my name on the dotted line for the Road Glide. After my extended test rides on each of the three bikes, the RG is the only one that really put a smile on my face, both with and without a passenger on the back.

Ride and decide.

Old 08-30-2017 | 03:44 PM
Jamo11
Tourer

I use my RGU all around, but it's heavy and top heavy. I wouldn't recommend it for that. A Road King is much, much more easy to handle. It sounds to me like you need a Low Rider or Deluxe.

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:28 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jamo11
I use my RGU all around, but it's heavy and top heavy. I wouldn't recommend it for that. A Road King is much, much more easy to handle. It sounds to me like you need a Low Rider or Deluxe.
If I go the Softail route again with a new bike I'm getting the new 2018 Fatboy.

Old 08-30-2017 | 07:02 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Just to clarify, I have a RGS, so no tour pack, but I can be stopped and get into my saddlebags without dropping the bike.

If you have that crushed stone there by the garage, you already have the makings of the base for concrete. Dig it deeper, lay some of stone in there, form it up and rent a mixer. Provide beverages for your buddies and have them help pour a nice pad or filler strip, whatever that gravel is acting as.